Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2010   #41
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Nation

No, it's not. We all understand I'm sure that "Arian Nation" isn't the same thing as "Aryan Nations". It's more a riff on common terms like "Raider Nation" or "Steeler Nation" as used by football fans to identify themselves with a common group of fans BUT.... It's a little close to the name of the white supremacist group. To a man Texans fans will understand the reference but someone not familiar with the team might not make the proper connection. It's not political correctness gone a muck, it's simply a case of "We can do better" and avoid any possible misinterpretation of the name.

Plus it's still early for a nickname anyway.

I'm liking the Foster's Lager angle but I think I'm going with

"Foster, Texan for Touchdown" It keeps the feel of the original commercial but localizes it. After all we aren't in Australia.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 08-29-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #42
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Political correctness is killing this country.
Agreed!!!!

Sometimes things that aren't intended take on a life of thier own.

With that said A for effort and creativity, but in the current climate of racial relations perhaps a different name would be the way to go.

However I would like to say that AF seems to get yards regardless. Obviousley we don't have a lot of film on him, but everything we have points to success. Foster fits the Denver/Shannahan/Kubes mold of a under the radar guy that racks up 1200-1500 yards a season. Obviousley AF would have a was a first day draft pick prior to his injury at TN, but he was undrafted which makes him a classic Kubes molded RB, especially since he sat most of last year.

Edit: Also it seems like Foster is the fix to short yardgae situations, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-29-2010   #43
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah not digging the reference either...maybe more like:

Freight Train Foster

F Train, Foster Express, Bunker Buster, F-Bomb...feel free to add till one fits.
Old 08-29-2010   #44
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I also heard it was ND that first proposed "Arian Nation" as a nickname for Arian. I also agree that political correctness is taking the fun out of some things. I think it would be a great nickname to shove it in the face of some skinhead group. It would take away from them and make fun of them. I can see them getting all worked up in their jack boots that a black guy is the head of an "Arian Nation" with more members than their pitiful little group.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #45
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

I think "Bananas" is a better nickname.

Also, I was quite drunk when I posted last night which explains my moment of whiskey-induced hyperbole.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #46
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in! Foster really impressed me coming in last season and playing well. He runs with a purpose and always slides for another yard or two. He's an excellent one cut and go runner. He makes that one cut and bursts through the hole.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #47
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Fosters Awesome: Texan for Football!

I really love the way he plays.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!

Last edited by Brando; 08-29-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2010   #48
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not jumping on the bandwagon just yet as the kid hasn't played an entire season yet and hasn't proved he can carry the load at this point. I think he is another piece and we are hoping that he can stay healthy as none of the backs are trust worthy at this point so I will wait and hold judgement.
Old 08-29-2010   #49
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I also heard it was ND that first proposed "Arian Nation" as a nickname for Arian. I also agree that political correctness is taking the fun out of some things. I think it would be a great nickname to shove it in the face of some skinhead group. It would take away from them and make fun of them. I can see them getting all worked up in their jack boots that a black guy is the head of an "Arian Nation" with more members than their pitiful little group.
Exactly. That's what makes it funny. People are being too PC.

But, I'm a fan of Arian Foster. I think he'll be our fix at RB (even with Tate out). Hopefully Slaton can be a capable spell back for Foster this year.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #50
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure if this has been brought up yet. But a friend recommended this nickname for all his fans.........

"Foster Kids"
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #51
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More 8-8's View Post
Not sure if this has been brought up yet. But a friend recommended this nickname for all his fans.........

"Foster Kids"
Bingo.
Old 08-30-2010   #52
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More 8-8's View Post

"Foster Kids"
I was thinking along the same lines:

"Foster, adopting all 1st downs" or "Foster, first down adopter"

as far as Political Correctness I say screw it in the ***! People need to lighten up!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #53
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 134405 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is the Arian Nation accepting Mexicans? If so - peeek me ese.
Old 08-30-2010   #54
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'll be honest - Arian Nation makes me uncomfortable. That doesn't mean I'm coming out and blasting the nickname or idea, but it definitely makes me uncomfortable. It's on me to figure out why that's the case, I suppose.
Old 08-30-2010   #55
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'll be honest - Arian Nation makes me uncomfortable. That doesn't mean I'm coming out and blasting the nickname or idea, but it definitely makes me uncomfortable. It's on me to figure out why that's the case, I suppose.
Arian Nation was the first thing that popped into my mind the first time I ever heard his name.

But it makes me uncomfortable and I find it offensive. That's on me, I'm the one feeling that, but there it is.

Not that we should necessarily care about what other people think or do but people who aren't in Houston or Texas already assume that we're a bunch of prejudiced rednecks. A lot of people would take Arian Nation totally wrong and I think it would just be asking for a whole slew of articles and attitudes that are just going to piss us all off and cause lots of arguments and crap. I'd prefer to sidestep the whole thing by just not letting it start.

I say definitely no to Arian Nation but like I said, it was the first thing that popped into my head.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #56
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Arian Nation was the first thing that popped into my mind the first time I ever heard his name.

But it makes me uncomfortable and I find it offensive. That's on me, I'm the one feeling that, but there it is.

Not that we should necessarily care about what other people think or do but people who aren't in Houston or Texas already assume that we're a bunch of prejudiced rednecks. A lot of people would take Arian Nation totally wrong and I think it would just be asking for a whole slew of articles and attitudes that are just going to piss us all off and cause lots of arguments and crap. I'd prefer to sidestep the whole thing by just not letting it start.

I say definitely no to Arian Nation but like I said, it was the first thing that popped into my head.
Lets just stick to Foster Kids.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #57
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer "Foster: Texan for Touchdown(or first down, whatever)"

Not all that high on whole Arian Nation thing.

However, I was amused when we picked up a rookie RB named Arian the same year we drafted a LB who was part of the "White Nation" linebackers as USC and was part of a facebook pace referring to that at one point. IIRC, it was stated that it was a black teammate that started them that. Just weird that it ended up that way.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #58
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Bad nickname and as Herv already stated, it's way too early for a nickname

boy he looked good though as did AJ and both JJ's.

The team came out fired up too..hope to see the same Week 3
Old 08-30-2010   #59
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have no problem annointing Arian Foster with the title of GRAND MARSHALL. Get him his white hat!

Lighten up some. You guys are too PC. It's just football. Maybe TexMexMom can help us come up with a great nickname for him? Tell us what he prefers and whatnot.

Foster looked amazing the other day. I have to admit that I was floored at all the running he was doing. Although, he ALMOST fumbled the ball but he put his other hand on it and kept it from coming out. Phew. I just hope that he can repeat his performances when it counts. Jerimiah Johnson also looked really good (and I am NOT on the JJ bandwagon).
Old 08-30-2010   #60
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Geez the title isn't Aryan Nation and anybody familiar with the Texans should recognize the source for Arian even Kevin Walters fans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read