Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-27-2004   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Super Worries in Jacksonville

Quote:
Enjoy that warm, home Super Bowl feeling for now, because once it is over, you may not feel it again. The buzz among some owners and other league officials is that the Super Bowl creates such logistical challenges for Jacksonville, the league might not want to endure those kinds of hurdles again and will avoid the city at all costs.

Stop putting that X through my face. I'm just the messenger. Don't hate the player, hate the Big Game.

In my one dozen years of covering Super Bowl politics, which can be as cutthroat as any presidential race, I have rarely heard such harsh comments about a Super Bowl city from a significant number of members in the NFL community.

"How can we have a Super Bowl in a city this tiny?" said one owner, who asked not to be identified, forgetting that he was one of the owners who voted for Jacksonville to have a Super Bowl in the first place.

"This has the potential to be a logistical disaster," said one league official, who also asked not to be identified.

And the game is still nine months away.

Publicly, the league is saying that everything is going smoothly, and, to be certain, there are owners who are happy the game is coming here. Paul Tagliabue, the smart and blunt commissioner, said in an interview he foresees no serious problems, logistical or otherwise.

"We've had tremendous support from the city," said Tagliabue. "There are a number of things about Jacksonville that make it attractive, beginning with what I think is a great stadium. Everything is going very smoothly."

Tagliabue also dismissed complaints from owners and others. "They don't have all of the information," he said.

Privately, the complaints stem from old concerns. Will there be enough rental cars? Hotels? What about the cruise ship situation?

I don't get the trepidation. These things always seem to work out. People find places to stay and cars to rent. Besides, look at some of the other host towns. Detroit is getting Super Bowl XL in 2006 and it was recently named the most unsafe city in America. Detroit's Super Bowl motto: come watch the game -- and your wallet.

Basically, the issues come down to owners wanting the party to go smoothly. They don't want to lay awake worrying about cruise ships moving out to sea to dump their waste or booking hotels in Orlando or if Jacksonville is going to be 7,000 rental cars short.

I still believe that Jacksonville could be the new Miami or Tampa, and is more than capable of working its way into a regular Super Bowl rotation. Another owner agreed with me.

Let's just hope Jacksonville doesn't become another Minneapolis.

That city was one and done.
Jacksonville.com (entire article)

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #2
Playmaker
Veteran

Rep Power: 244 Playmaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just glad the monotonous rotation of New Orleans, Miami, and San Diego was broken up for at least a few years. I just hate looking at the Super Dome.

Nothing against Jacksonville, but if things go bad and their SB leaves a bad impression, then that just means one less city Houston has to contend with for hosting the SB in the future. It's almost a sure thing that we are getting a 2nd one.
Playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #3
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the NFL promises SB to cities if they will build their team a new stadium. That is not right. Just because it has a new stadium, doesn't mean it is a good place for the SB.

As for Jacksonville, no matter how bad it gets, the TV media will be all smiles and saying how great a place Jacksonville is so the league won't look like it made a mistake.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the NFL promises SB to cities if they will build their team a new stadium. That is not right. Just because it has a new stadium, doesn't mean it is a good place for the SB.
It is an incentive for cities to build teams a new stadium. The costs of building the stadium is somewhat offset by the additional tax money brought into the city during the Super Bowl. Personally I think it is a smart move by the league. It helps them keep newer stadiums in most cities.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I tell you what. It will not suprise me if Reliant starts becoming a regular Super Bowl site like New Orleans, or Miami. It seemed as if everything was so much more easy and accessable in Houston.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #6
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

We should have another here in 2009 or 2010 for certain. By then, maybe all this construction will be finished and make the city look even nicer.
Old 05-28-2004   #7
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
It is an incentive for cities to build teams a new stadium. The costs of building the stadium is somewhat offset by the additional tax money brought into the city during the Super Bowl. Personally I think it is a smart move by the league. It helps them keep newer stadiums in most cities.
Oh I agree, but I just thought it was amuzing that the owners choose who runs the league, then the league sets the deals with the individual cities, then the owners and league officals complain that they don't like the site of this years Superbowl. When they basically are the ones who put there.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2004   #8
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

It has been my belief since I saw the Jets concept drawing for a stadium with a retractable roof that NY will get a SB. I Think NY would have an extraordinary SB. I may not like the Jets, but I think that NY is a host city that would be able to get it done right.
Old 05-29-2004   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

If NYC can be considered for the Olympics in these traumatic times I too think they would be in line for a Super Bowl.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #10
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer
Default SuperBowl in Jacksonville??

Dont know about you, but a superbowl in Jacksonville has potentual to be a disaster
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read