Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-27-2010   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Placement of the Ump

Brees got blown for snapping a play tonight before the ump was set (though they undid the penalty after reviewing the previous play).

While I am happy Manning and Brees and some other QB's will get screwed - but they are changing the way the game is played and I don't like it.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118212 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Placement of the Ump

It's a slippery slope, but the teams will adjust. Just like they did when they put in the five yard rule.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Brees got blown for snapping a play tonight before the ump was set (though they undid the penalty after reviewing the previous play).

While I am happy Manning and Brees and some other QB's will get screwed - but they are changing the way the game is played and I don't like it.
If you missed my posts buried in the Thread " Gameday Thread: Texans at Colts 11-08" in the Texans Talk section (posts 1224-1226), you might be interested in taking a look at it.

It's definitely got the potential of giving some QBs a fit.........including our most favorite Manning.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont like it. Sure, safety is important. But refs survived for a long time without this rule. What this is doing is messing with the game. Messing with it unnecessarily.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118212 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I dont like it. Sure, safety is important. But refs survived for a long time without this rule. What this is doing is messing with the game. Messing with it unnecessarily.
I don't get it. How is this messing with the game any more than instant replay or the 5 yd rule?
Brain Cushing
Old 08-28-2010   #6
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I don't get it. How is this messing with the game any more than instant replay or the 5 yd rule?

I need a refresher. What is this 5 yard rule you speak of ?

The refs aren't supposed to interfere with the game itself. With this new rule, they do.

Teams do not get a five yard penalty because of instant replay.

If they are worried about the ref, put him in pads, give him a helmet.

Old 08-28-2010   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I need a refresher. What is this 5 yard rule you speak of ?
5 yards for contact with a receiver.
Old 08-28-2010   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It slows down the game. While it will help the Texans against Manning, I dont like it. Let the players play. I dont like the 5 yard rule as well, but I dont make the decisions. The most I can do is comment on them.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, ignoring whether it's a good rule or a bad rule, the 5 yard rule was put in with the intent to change the game - because the decision had been made that there was something about it that could be improved. Instant replay didn't change the way teams played the game - it's intent was to allow the rules to be more accurately enforced (or not enforced as the case may be).

The intent of the change we're talking about here is to protect the Umpire from physical harm - that's it, nothing more. The result is to potentially impose change on the way teams play football - the Saints and Colts as good examples.

On one hand, I would say this is a great example of the law of unintended consequences. On the other hand, I'd say it's easy enough to predict that it shouldn't have (and maybe hasn't) caught the NFL by surprise.

I think the Saints and (gulp) Colts concerns are valid. I'd like to think they'll make some modifications, but we'll see.
Old 08-28-2010   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well, ignoring whether it's a good rule or a bad rule, the 5 yard rule was put in with the intent to change the game - because the decision had been made that there was something about it that could be improved. Instant replay didn't change the way teams played the game - it's intent was to allow the rules to be more accurately enforced (or not enforced as the case may be).

The intent of the change we're talking about here is to protect the Umpire from physical harm - that's it, nothing more. The result is to potentially impose change on the way teams play football - the Saints and Colts as good examples.

On one hand, I would say this is a great example of the law of unintended consequences. On the other hand, I'd say it's easy enough to predict that it shouldn't have (and maybe hasn't) caught the NFL by surprise.

I think the Saints and (gulp) Colts concerns are valid. I'd like to think they'll make some modifications, but we'll see.

The point I was trying to make ( and failed) was that the players would adjust to this just like they have adjusted to all the other rule changes.
Brain Cushing
Old 08-28-2010   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The point I was trying to make ( and failed) was that the players would adjust to this just like they have adjusted to all the other rule changes.
I'm not arguing that they'd adjust. The point I was trying to make (and also failing) was that with the 5 yard rule, and instant replay, the aforementioned adjustments were the intent of the rule change, and resulted in exactly what the NFL was going for when they made the change. The results of this rule change are completely unrelated to why the change was made in the first place.
Old 08-28-2010   #12
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

Rules that change the way the game is played is one thing, rules that change the playing of that game is another. If you institute a 5 yard rule for the players - fine, the players will adjust. Just like the hand check rule in the NBA. But when you put in a rule where you can't even play the game because some slow-footed, lard-ass umpire can't get in his spot in time, that's a problem.

They made base coaches wear helmets in MLB. Put a freaking helmet and pads on the umpire.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #13
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
5 yards for contact with a receiver.
OK

This is after a receiver is or is not jammed at the line of scrimmage he cannot be contacted after he is five yards downfield from the line of scrimmage?

I think I got it. I was confused by the old 'halo' rule and knew it was no longer in force.

I suppose the players will adjust to the new rule, but it seems the officials are now being injected into the game itself.

Whether the official is 'back in place' is objective from play to play.

There will eventually be replays to see if in fact the official was or wasn't in place when the flag is thrown.

Old 08-28-2010   #14
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Rules that change the way the game is played is one thing, rules that change the playing of that game is another. If you institute a 5 yard rule for the players - fine, the players will adjust. Just like the hand check rule in the NBA. But when you put in a rule where you can't even play the game because some slow-footed, lard-ass umpire can't get in his spot in time, that's a problem.

They made base coaches wear helmets in MLB. Put a freaking helmet and pads on the umpire.

Or put each one of the on the sideline with their own tv monitor and let overhead cameras do the work. Seem like that is what it's coming to anyway.

j/k

Old 08-28-2010   #15
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 58171 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Meh - keeps the ump from getting (more likely) injured than his previous spot and doesn't allow for the ump to set a pick or get bonked in the head with a footballl when he doesn't duck fast enough.

I'm fine with the revision and I'm sure there will be some adjustment time involved.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Also the refs are starting to see alot more of Indy's line holding. On top of Manning not pulling his crap, they were getting flagged for holding alot.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Peter King writes about it in his MMQB column today. Also includes a few tweets from Eric Winston about the rule.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...29/mmqb/3.html

Quote:
"Every ump I have talked to this offseason hates the new rule where they have them. All of them felt the way fb players do. Injuries are part''

"Of the position they ref at. One also told me that the comp comm changed the rule without consulting one ump. (Although I'm sure Perrera''

"Had a say) loved what Tirico said. Put a helmet on them if they are concerned. Don't change the way the game is played. Altho if it pisses''

"Manning off, I could learn to deal with it. LOL''

-- @ericwinston, Texans tackle Eric Winston, on the rule moving the umpires from a linebacker's position to about 14 yards behind the offense to avoid umps getting beat around like pinballs.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand how this will work when a team is driving with >2 minutes on the clock and they want to spike the ball. It has to take the ump at least 7 seconds to place the ball and then get to his spot. Maybe they have an exception for the penalty in that case.
Old 08-30-2010   #19
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't understand how this will work when a team is driving with >2 minutes on the clock and they want to spike the ball. It has to take the ump at least 7 seconds to place the ball and then get to his spot. Maybe they have an exception for the penalty in that case.
Under 2 mins. and the umps go back to the old positioning.
Brain Cushing
Old 08-30-2010   #20
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Now if they go back to the way it was, they are really exposed to a lawsuit if one gets hurt. Not sure how the 2 min. thing will workout if one gets hurt then.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read