Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-18-2005   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Draft Board

What do you imagine the Texans Draft Board looks like? could it look something like this-
  • Derrick Johnson LB, Texas
  • Braylon Edwards WR, Michigan
  • Mike Williams WR, USC
  • Ronnie Brown RB, Auburn
  • Cedric Benson RB, Texas
  • Carnell Cadillac Wiliams RB, Auburn
  • Antrell Rolle CB, Miami
  • Carlos Rogers CB, Auburn
  • Shawne Merriman OLB, Maryland
  • Justin Miller CB, Clemson
  • Adam Pac Man Jones CB, W. Virgina
  • David Pollack OLB, Georgia
  • Troy Williamson WR, S. Carolina
  • Thomas Davis SS, Georgia
  • Marcus Spears DT, LSU
  • Alex Barron OT, FSU

Last edited by beerlover; 03-18-2005 at 05:24 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

• Derrick Johnson
  • Ronnie Brown
  • Braylon Edwards
  • Cedric Benson
  • Antrel Rolle
  • Mike Williams
  • *at this point we would start looking at trading down*
  • David Pollack (I hope)
  • Marcus Spears
  • Shawn Merriman
  • Justin Miller
  • Anttaj Hawthorne
  • Cadillac Williams
  • Alex Barron
  • Channing Crowder
  • Shaun Cody
  • Carlos Rogers
  • Darryl Blackstock
  • Barret Ruud

dont give me too hard a time.. im just giving my opinion, based on value and our needs.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Geeorgia Gator

Hmmm short arms, little hands, I'd be surprised if Pollock is in anyone's top fifteen at this point. Could be another "hacksaw". Never know. Pollack is my nominee for this years Led Zeplin. 'Course, I've been wrong befor. To quote that dude on the radio, "Rack him".JMHO.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
Hmmm short arms, little hands, I'd be surprised if Pollock is in anyone's top fifteen at this point. Could be another "hacksaw". Never know. Pollack is my nominee for this years Led Zeplin. 'Course, I've been wrong befor. To quote that dude on the radio, "Rack him".JMHO.
off that list Pollack is my 3rd most favorite player, he just knows how to play football, he is smart, diciplined, coachable, quick, strong, versatile, leader off & on the field. along with Carnell Cadillac Williams (#1) & Justin Miller (#2) these guys are great football players & would become great Texans, also at this point its going to be very difficult to trade down unless your in the top 7
Old 03-18-2005   #5
cadahnic
All Pro

I would venture that Carlos Rogers should rise on the board. and Pollack should definately fall. We dont need him when we got Babin last year. Do we really need two slower OLBs that cannot cover anyone. Dont get me wrong I think Babin will be a monster this year at least doubling his sacks maybe even triple, but he is not about to cover anyone so I am against Pollack who would be the same type of player. I think BeerLover has the closest to the Texans Board looking at our specific needs.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

im hoping that Sharper gives us a nice little bargaining chip for a trade down.

About Pollack.. no he isnt the perfect physical specimen.. but how many times have we seen a player who IS the prototypical fit for his position become a bust?

Fact of the matter is Pollack, of all the LB prospects in this draft, has the best instincts, the best drive, the best attitude, and the most intelligence. Hes the type of player who will have no trouble moving from DE to 3-4 LB.. and no trouble picking up on how our defense works. On top of that.. he is the QUICKEST LB in this draft.. with outstanding shuttle and cone drill times... he could potentially be one of our best coverage LBs.

Yah his measurables are questionable.. but with everything else he has going for him, I think he is worth the risk. His attitude alone makes me think he will be worth the pick.. I dont think he is going to let short arms and small hands keep him from being successful.

Last edited by Grid; 03-18-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2005   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

see the above post cadahnic.

and my list were just my personal preferences.. I honestly wouldnt even know where to begin at guessing what Casserlys picks look like.
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2005   #8
cadahnic
All Pro

Grid I see what you are saying about Pollack. First he is not the quickest LB in the draft, but I know where you were going with the thought so I will leave it alone. We would be better taking a guy like Demarcus Ware rather than Pollack. I dont care about short arms or any of that **** cause that is what it is a Football player is a football player. They said Culpepper had small hands yet he is doing pretty well I think. I know Pollack has intagibles that are a definate quality, but we have the same guy in Babin so that would not make since for us to make him our pick or have him that high on our board. He has to be almost a last result from trading down.
Old 03-18-2005   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
We dont need him when we got Babin last year. Do we really need two slower OLBs that cannot cover anyone. Dont get me wrong I think Babin will be a monster this year at least doubling his sacks maybe even triple, but he is not about to cover anyone
Babin is hardly slow. He has posted 40 times as low as 4.54--
Link

His official combine time was in the 4.6's. And he does cover--in his 1st year doing it he had 4 passes defensed. For comparison--Wong had 6, Foreman 1, Sharper 6.
Old 03-18-2005   #10
cadahnic
All Pro

Infatry. our linebackers on a whole cannot cover so you lose a little something with me by showing me our linebackers, but Babin is not and will not ever be mistaken for one of the fastest OLBs in the game. Yes he posted good times and he plays well in short areas we know that that is why we drafted him, but the post was about Pollack who would be just another BABIN. Babin is bad in coverage but a solid tackler so at least he can bring down the guy who catches it on him. That is better than our SS. I mean Brown who is cut not EArl
Old 03-18-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Pollack's times in the quickness drills were faster than Babin.

and what exactly do you think we should have opposite of Babin? I mean.. i understand the comparison because Pollack is a bit like Babin, but im not seeing why having two Babin's would be a bad thing??
Old 03-18-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I would venture that Carlos Rogers should rise on the board. and Pollack should definately fall. We dont need him when we got Babin last year. Do we really need two slower OLBs that cannot cover anyone. Dont get me wrong I think Babin will be a monster this year at least doubling his sacks maybe even triple, but he is not about to cover anyone so I am against Pollack who would be the same type of player. I think BeerLover has the closest to the Texans Board looking at our specific needs.
other than Derrick Johnson who will not get past the Viking's basicly the WR class @ the top would be a no brainer but also gone by 13. moving down to the RB's I don't expect any of them to be there @ 13 either, but if one did slip to us I would not hesitate to make that pick, regardless. the CB's are an excellent grouping of different skills, in my opinion Justin Miller has the potential to be the best shutdown corner, he is fluid & moves alot like Dunta Robinson & while not as fast is a strong, fearless & physical corner, in addition folks he led the nation in kick-off returns & could back-up Mosses or be the starter as the Texans see fit. Antrell is rated #1 & most knowledgable pro scouts have Carlos Rogers rated #2. Pac-Man to me is a distant 4th. Like I've stated before it will depend on who the Texans bring in to work out and how well they perform.

the rest are really on the outside looking in, Pollack OLB, Williamson WR, Davis SS, Spears DT & Alex Barron, but they can all play and possibly become Texans if Casserly & his team rate them higher up on their Draft Board, I'm only making one fans educated guess
Old 03-18-2005   #13
cadahnic
All Pro

It would not be a terrible thing, but opposite babin should be a compliment to his type of play. A more relentless pass rusher, who can cover, and is fiery aggressive. A true mean streak player which Babin is not. Yes that may sound like Pollack, but that is not. Pollack has several knocks on him and likely will go lower than Babin did in the draft. I am not saying he is not a quality player, he is just not what we need in our system. We already have him in our system so why not get terror to compliment Babin's solid play. That is what I am saying Babin and Pollack are solid players not going to far to the left or to the right. We need someone like Suggs, Boulware, Peek, Sharper. Who literally hate the other team and have an overwhelming desire to cause pain.
Old 03-18-2005   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

So we need a relentless pass rusher with speed and aggressiveness who can also cover. heh.. basicly the total package . we should put that guy at strongside OLB and let Babin compliment him.

I still think Pollack is a solid pick, and would mesh well with the defense we run. we have an aggressive, fast, mean OLB that can cover in Antwan Peek.. and the coaches are very reluctant to let him start. So.. another Babin may be the best choice for us.
Old 03-18-2005   #15
cadahnic
All Pro

BeerLover that coment was directed towards Grid's projections not yours. I agreed with yours. Carlos Rogers though is the most like D-Rob to me. He is fearless and plays much larger than he already is. He is physical and fast and loves to take peoples heads off. Did you see him blitz last year tell me that did not remind you of D-Rob.
Old 03-18-2005   #16
cadahnic
All Pro

I cannot deny your point there Grid. Maybe it is our coaching staff that does not like the mean streak in players. I just look at other teams that run a similar style 3-4 system and their OLBs and ILB have a real mean streak. That is what makes LBs successful in my opinion in the NFL. I think Pollack is a good player, possibly like Kevin Greene or Grant Winstrom. He does not let his size or lack of overall athleticism deny him anything which is good I just think two guys that are the same do not compliment each other and would hurt us in the long run. My example I would use is Willie McGinest and Roman Phifer of last years Patriots for complimenting one another.
Old 03-18-2005   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
BeerLover that coment was directed towards Grid's projections not yours. I agreed with yours. Carlos Rogers though is the most like D-Rob to me. He is fearless and plays much larger than he already is. He is physical and fast and loves to take peoples heads off. Did you see him blitz last year tell me that did not remind you of D-Rob.
yes I did, but no he didnt remind me of D-Rob he reminded me more of Thomas Davis the safety, he plays much bigger & has excellent straight ahead speed. his coverage skills do not match Dunta's or Justin's, nor is he as much of a threat to take it to the house. yet I really like his potential, guess thats why the Texans are in charge of evaulation they will be testing and prodding to determine which fits their needs & has the best set of skills. I would not be upset at all if the Texans choose to select Carlos Rogers.
Old 03-18-2005   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Infatry. our linebackers on a whole cannot cover so you lose a little something with me by showing me our linebackers, but Babin is not and will not ever be mistaken for one of the fastest OLBs in the game. Yes he posted good times and he plays well in short areas we know that that is why we drafted him, but the post was about Pollack who would be just another BABIN. Babin is bad in coverage but a solid tackler so at least he can bring down the guy who catches it on him. That is better than our SS. I mean Brown who is cut not EArl
Foreman is the only LB the Texans started who is bad in coverage--notice who is no longer around. Production from other 3-4's since you think the Texans are so bad--Pittsburgh 22 passes defensed, San Diego 21, Texans 17, New England 11 and Baltimore 10. By the way Wong and Peek combined for 4 INT's as well--not too bad for guys that can't cover. You have to give some consideration in Babin's case that he was converting to LB last year and had never had coverage responsibilities before.

Maybe this is a semantic thing and you see anything that isn't great as bad--to me there is a lot in between.
Old 03-18-2005   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

oh.. and to quote this months issue of SportingNews.

"The best thing I can say about David Pollack is he's a football player" says new jaguars linebackers coach Brian VanGorder, who was Pollack's defensive coordinator at Georga. "He's not this fancy-schmancy kid who's going to talk and not back it up. He plays football, he plays with emotion, he finds ways to make things happen on the field. He is a football player. That's the best compliment I could give any player"

"He is Tedy Bruschi" says one AFC scout. "He's one of those guys who is eternally pissed and motivated because people dont beleive in him"

"With his intense workout style, Pollack seperated from the rest of IMG's distinguished alumni, including Peyton and Eli Manning, LaDainian Tomlinson, Drew Brees, Byron Leftwich and Michael Clayton. "I'm not going to say he is the best we've ever had here," says Trevor Moawad, IMG's associate director of mental conditioning, "But he's darn close. He has the mentality of Rudy---but with skill and talent."

"It's those plays that draw NFL scouts to Pollack, whos 36 career sacks broke Reggie White's Southeastern Conference Record. It's the 58 career tackles for loss, the 117 quarterback pressures, the seven forced fumbles, the 18 pass deflections--all of this production while playing in the nation's most physical conference. It's also his 'motor'--his non-stop, hell-bent attitude-- his tremendous upper-body strength, his lateral quickness, his football intelligence"

this is the article that originally sold me on Pollack.

Sorry I cant provide a link mods.. im copying this directly out of the magazine in front of me.

SportingNews, March 18, 2005.
Article by Matt Hayes
Old 03-18-2005   #20
cadahnic
All Pro

Justin Miller is much more fluid in his backpedal and breaks. My only problem with him is how he gets turned on second and third moves by receivers. I just saw in his tapes when he gets turned he did not really have the speed to recover to make the play. He can make the play if he is with the receiver and I think it would be great to get either of them to study under Glenn for a year or two. A wish list would be to get Antrell Rolle if we dont get DJ. A lot of people are thinking the Vikings are going after DJ, but with their linebacking crew, which is young and very athletic they are looking for something more along the D-Line and Offense dont you think

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read