Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 53 Man Roster Discussion

Well, the season is looming. As excited as I am, the high expectations have officially taken a toll on me and I find myself anxious and just a little morbid. I intended to write an article discussing the depth chart I am expecting and the one that I am hoping for. Things got away from me a little bit, but I decided there are enough fellow crazies around here that it may still be a worthy read:

The Two Rosters: The one that Should Be and the one that Will Be

Henry David Thoreau said that “Men live lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them”. Thoreau wasn’t even a Texan fan. As cutdown day looms next week, I have a harsh reality to come to grips with: the Texans are going to screw up my roster. Some people may laugh at my bravado. After all, who am I to suggest I know better than the Texan coaches who should be on the team? I am me. Despite my love and respect for the current organization, I can not escape the reality (however ludicrous) that I believe I know better than they do what personnel decisions to make. There is a fear that eats away at me in moments like the one looming next week. Frederich Nietzche called most of mankind the “bungled and the botched”. He said that there are a select few people destined for greatness and the rest of man kind is left flailing hopelessly at it. Occasionally, a man has a moment and is teased at the prosepect of greatness, but in the end, it is only a tease, and he is destined for calamity. Perhaps this is also true in the NFL. The Texans have clawed and worked their way to respectability and appear on the verge of something special. What if it is an illusion and they are destined to fail? Some teams can make one bonehead decision after another: Dallas Cowboys forced out Jimmy Johnson, drafted Quincy Carter in the second round, traded two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway, traded a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams, fired Bill Parcells, etc…. And yet, here they are again on the brink of more championships.

The question I am going to be asking myself next week when the Texans keep at least two of: Frank Okam, Chris White, Kris Brown, Fred Bennett while exposing (three of) Rest of Article
Old 08-27-2010   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 53 Man Roster Discussion

First I would like to say your input is very much appreciated & really enjoy reading your posts.

Second I feel that in the best interest of Texan organization they keep both Kris Brown & Neil Rackers. Realize that is a valueable roster spot but so is getting this decision right & so far I've seen no evidence that anything is close to being settled. Another question mark is special teams return game. If Jacoby is going to be the return guy taking duo roles one way to add that roster spot back is to cut Andre Davis.

Can also cut/release Fred Bennett, if he clears waivers which he probably will the Texans could always resign him if injurys pile up in secondary. Texans could also save roster spots on the DL & OL by focusing on their 7 man rotations, someone with PS eligability could still be stashed here.

Other than that I pretty much agree with you whole heartedly
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Second I feel that in the best interest of Texan organization they keep both Kris Brown & Neil Rackers. Realize that is a valueable roster spot but so is getting this decision right & so far I've seen no evidence that anything is close to being settled.
Would you dress both of them on gameday? This makes absolutely no sense. If Kubiak hasn't seen enough in the preseason (which would be his own fault), then he just has to go with his gut. Hopefully, his gut reminds him of the MNF game versus the Titans last season. Just close your eyes and pick one, Gary.

dalemurphy's prediction of a FA RB makes sense. That, or pick up one in a trade. I have high hopes for Foster, and I haven't given up on Slaton. But there's too much uncertainty to not bring in another back.

Other positions that could be upgraded on the waiver wire:
QB - If a vet doesn't make the cut (especially the Vikes 3rd stringer)
DT - The Texans need a big body, just not Frank Okam's big body
LB - Will Adibi and Clark be ready for the season opener?
S - Don't the Texans always grab a safety off the waiver wire?
KR - A solid returner always seems to fall through the cracks
Old 08-27-2010   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Would you dress both of them on gameday? This makes absolutely no sense. If Kubiak hasn't seen enough in the preseason (which would be his own fault), then he just has to go with his gut. Hopefully, his gut reminds him of the MNF game versus the Titans last season. Just close your eyes and pick one, Gary.
I could see them do this, yes. Use Kris for kick-offs & 40+ yard FG's he does have the stronger leg of the two & let Neil kick under 40 yard attempts plus extra points (best fantasy option). Not to mention kickers get injurys too, not sure how but they do plus the proverbial hot & cold streaks. Texans are already on the hook for millions owed Kris (someone could actually break down just how much could be recoverd if cut) while Neil has already pocketed I think about 350,000 just to come into camp for tryout, another million locks him in for the season.

Quote:
dalemurphy's prediction of a FA RB makes sense. That, or pick up one in a trade. I have high hopes for Foster, and I haven't given up on Slaton. But there's too much uncertainty to not bring in another back.
I agree with this too.

Quote:
Other positions that could be upgraded on the waiver wire:
QB - If a vet doesn't make the cut (especially the Vikes 3rd stringer) yes
DT - The Texans need a big body, just not Frank Okam's big body yes
LB - Will Adibi and Clark be ready for the season opener? no
S - Don't the Texans always grab a safety off the waiver wire? no
KR - A solid returner always seems to fall through the cracks yes
Old 08-27-2010   #5
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
First I would like to say your input is very much appreciated & really enjoy reading your posts.

Second I feel that in the best interest of Texan organization they keep both Kris Brown & Neil Rackers. Realize that is a valueable roster spot but so is getting this decision right & so far I've seen no evidence that anything is close to being settled.
I think it was settled last year when Brown missed too many needed field goals. The man was booed at home when he came out to kick extra points. The Texans can't keep two kickers and can't keep Brown.
We saw what he was last year. If you cut Rackers then Brown misses one against Indy, the fans will go nuts and Rackers will be gone. Rackers has a better history than Brown and didn't hurt us last year like Brown did.
--The team should not keep two kickers and from a PR standpoint, they cannot keep Brown over Rackers.
Old 08-27-2010   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

WHile I see BLs point on keeping both kickers at least for a couple games to see how both do under pressure, I just do not see that happening. I can not tll which way it will go but expect both to get minutes until pre-season ends. I know it is nice to let a guy go early to give him chance to sign elsewhere but Texans need this to be the right choice made at the very end.
Old 08-27-2010   #7
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
WHile I see BLs point on keeping both kickers at least for a couple games to see how both do under pressure, I just do not see that happening. I can not tll which way it will go but expect both to get minutes until pre-season ends. I know it is nice to let a guy go early to give him chance to sign elsewhere but Texans need this to be the right choice made at the very end.
This is definately an important decision for Kubs to make.
As we all know kicking cost us some games last year (evne though that was not the only thing) so it needs to be set for this year.

I'm sure one of them will get cut on the last roster day-regardless of which one stays I really hope the coaches step back and pick the best one.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2010   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

QB: Schaub, Orlovsky
RB: Foster, Slaton, Henry, Johnson
FB: Leach
TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Casey, Graham
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Dickerson, Anderson
OL: Brown, S Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Winston, Butler, Brisiel, Studdard, W Smith

DL: Williams, A Smith, Barwin, Okoye, Mitchell, Okam, Cody, Sheppard, Jamison
LB: Ryans, (Cushing), Diles, Adibi, Bentley, Sharpton, Clark*
CB: Jackson, Quin, McCain, Molden, Reeves, McMannis
S: Pollard, Wilson, Nolan, Barber
K: Rackers
P: Turk

*Clark gets cut when Cushing returns.

This is what I want, definitely not what I think will happen.

This is what I think will happen:
RB: Foster, Slaton, Henry, Ryan Moats
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Dickerson, Anderson, Davis
OL: Brown, W Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Winston, Butler, Brisiel, Studdard

DL: Williams, A Smith, Barwin, Okoye, Mitchell, Okam, Cody, Nading
K: Brown
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
RB: Foster, Slaton, Henry, Johnson
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Dickerson, Anderson
OL: Brown, S Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Winston, Butler, Brisiel, Studdard, W Smith

DL: Williams, A Smith, Barwin, Okoye, Mitchell, Okam, Cody, Sheppard, Jamison
K: Rackers

*Clark gets cut when Cushing returns.

This is what I want, definitely not what I think will happen.
TK, I am terrified that Jamison is going to get cut in favor of Nading. That would be a huge mistake, I think. Jamison is going to be good as soon as he gets snaps, IMO.
Old 08-27-2010   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
TK, I am terrified that Jamison is going to get cut in favor of Nading. That would be a huge mistake, I think. Jamison is going to be good as soon as he gets snaps, IMO.
Me too. Nading is awful deluxe.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice read. I guess I will scribble down what I have right now. Bear in mind (wait, right "bear"?) that I have not been able to watch the first two games, so I am going off of last year, people's opinions on the boards, and the information I have from scouting the last draft. This is also just going off players on the roster. I am pretty sure the Texans will look to pick up someone's cuts, but that is way to hard to predict.

RB: Foster, Slaton, Johnson, Henry
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Anderson, Dickerson, Davis
TE: Daniels, Dreessen, Casey, Graham
OT: Brown, Winston, Butler
OG: Meyers, Caldwell, Brisiel, Studdard, W. Smith, S.Smith

DE: Williams, Smith, Barwin, Jamison
DT: Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Okam
OLB: Diles, Sharpton, Greenhouse, Adibi
MLB: Ryans, Bentley, Clark
CB: Quin, Jackson, McCain, Molden, Reeves, McManis
FS: Wilson, Nolan
SS: Pollard, Barber

One of the LBs get cut when Cushing returns.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Nice read. I guess I will scribble down what I have right now. Bear in mind (wait, right "bear"?) that I have not been able to watch the first two games, so I am going off of last year, people's opinions on the boards, and the information I have from scouting the last draft. This is also just going off players on the roster. I am pretty sure the Texans will look to pick up someone's cuts, but that is way to hard to predict.

RB: Foster, Slaton, Johnson, Henry
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Anderson, Dickerson, Davis
TE: Daniels, Dreessen, Casey, Graham
OT: Brown, Winston, Butler
OG: Meyers, Caldwell, Brisiel, Studdard, W. Smith, S.Smith

DE: Williams, Smith, Barwin, Jamison
DT: Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Okam
OLB: Diles, Sharpton, Greenhouse, Adibi
MLB: Ryans, Bentley, Clark
CB: Quin, Jackson, McCain, Molden, Reeves, McManis
FS: Wilson, Nolan
SS: Pollard, Barber

One of the LBs get cut when Cushing returns.
or PS (Greenhouse)
Old 08-27-2010   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
or PS (Greenhouse)
Yeah, it is between him going to the PS, or Adibi or Clark getting cut. I remember people being really high on Adibi when he was drafted, but he has not done anything in the pros. However, he is very athletically gifted. Clark has experience, but Greenhouse is a special teams beast. They all have their pluses and minuses. I dont envy the coaching staff having to trim the roster.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #14
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I can see Kubiak getting ripped no matter who he chooses. If he goes with Rackers and he misses a game winning/tying 50+ yard FG I can see people saying he should have chosen Brown, or if Brown misses an easy 35 yard FG people will say he should have chosen Rackers. Does Kubiak go with the better leg or the better accuracy?
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #15
Dwade
Veteran

Rep Power: 56 Dwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I can see Kubiak getting ripped no matter who he chooses. If he goes with Rackers and he misses a game winning/tying 50+ yard FG I can see people saying he should have chosen Brown, or if Brown misses an easy 35 yard FG people will say he should have chosen Rackers. Does Kubiak go with the better leg or the better accuracy?
Accuracy is more important, Rackers is almost automatic inside 45, maybe 50...we don't attempt enough 50+ for that to be important.
Dwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Danny is already on IR I thought.
Old 08-27-2010   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
this Kubiak has to look for safety in numbers or its his neck
Old 08-27-2010   #18
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just close your eyes and pick one, Gary.
Or turn his back, and guess who is better.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Texans could also save roster spots on the DL & OL by focusing on their 7 man rotations, someone with PS eligability could still be stashed here.
That sounds like Shelley Smith. IMHO, putting him on the practice squad is just going for numbers, and not quality. That's not where we should be. I think he is clearly better than Wade and White. I would keep him on the roster, cut both Wade and White, and call it a day. If something happens, I'm sure both would still be available later on in the season.

I'd actually like to see Shelley starting at LG, with Brown, Myers, Caldwell, and Winston. Butler & Briesel would round out that group.
Old 08-27-2010   #20
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That sounds like Shelley Smith. IMHO, putting him on the practice squad is just going for numbers, and not quality. That's not where we should be. I think he is clearly better than Wade and White. I would keep him on the roster, cut both Wade and White, and call it a day. If something happens, I'm sure both would still be available later on in the season.

I'd actually like to see Shelley starting at LG, with Brown, Myers, Caldwell, and Winston. Butler & Briesel would round out that group.
Cut Wade?! The same Wade Smith they gave 4 yrs, 12 million to? I doubt that. Too early to admit that mistake, if it is one.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read