Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-26-2010   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Greatest ________ of All Time?

I was thinking the other day after reading one of the many Andre Johnson pieces out there about how great he is that AJ is clearly, without any doubt the single greatest Houston Texan of all time. "All Time" of course being 2002-2010 for us in this case. In fact he earns that distinction not only with pure statistical domination but also longevity and fan affection. If every team in the NFL had to pick one player who was "Mr. insert team name here" he'd be Mr Houston Texans.

That got me wondering who the greatest player of the other 31 teams was. Some are easier than others but I'm curious what the rest of you think. Just to begin who is All-Time Greatest Houston Oiler? How about All-Time Greatest Tennessee Titan? I'm for naming two of them since the team has essentially two "stages" of its existence with little crossover there.

I'm thinking Greatest Oiler is Earl Campbell and Greatest Titan is probably Steve McNair.

How about the AFC South? Greatest Colt, Jaguar, Titan, and Texan. What do you think?

(Do you go "Baltimore Colt" and "Indianapolis Colt" and split them like you do the Oilers/Titans?)
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Greatest ________ of All Time?

If I'm going Colts from the early days on then it would be a toss up of Manning and Johnny Unitas with Unitas getting an edge for me.

Jags-Brunell, Fred Taylor and Jimmy Smith

Titan--McNair or Eddie George

Texans--AJ

Oiler--Earl

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 08-27-2010 at 08:10 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

A few come to mind:

Browns - Jim Brown

Lions - Barry Sanders

Patriots - Tom Brady

49ers - Jerry Rice

Ravens - Ray Lewis

Colts - Peyton Manning or Unitas?

Saints - I think Drew Brees wins now.

Rams - Kurt Warner or Marshall Faulk

Bills - Jim Kelley

Packers - Reggie White

Giants - Lawrence Taylor

Bears - (lots to choose) Walter Payton, Mike Ditka, Dick Butkus, Refrigerator Perry

Dolphins - Dan Marino or Larry Csonka

Broncos - John Elway or Terrelle Davis

Edit: Eagles - Norm Van Brocklin AKA "The Dutchman"
Old 08-26-2010   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting thread Herv.

Jets - Namath

Patriots - Brady

Phins - Marino

Bills - Kelly (One of the most underrated QB's of all time in my opinion)

Broncos - Elway

Raiders - Marcus Allen

Chiefs - Len Dawson

Chargers - Junior Seau

Texans - AJ

Titans - Mcnair

Jags - Jimmy Smith

Colts - Manning

Steelers - Lambert

Ravens - Ray Lewis

Browns - Jim Brown

Bengals - No one was good enough to be the best over the rest.

I'll do my NFC picks a little later.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
A few come to mind:

Browns - Jim Brown

Lions - Barry Sanders

Patriots - Tom Brady

49ers - Jerry Rice

Ravens - Ray Lewis

Colts - Peyton Manning or Unitas?

Saints - I think Drew Brees wins now.

Rams - Kurt Warner

Bills - Jim Kelley

Packers - Reggie White

Giants - Lawrence Taylor

Bears - (lots to choose) Walter Payton, Mike Ditka, Dick Butkus, Refrigerator Perry

Dolphins - Dan Marino

Broncos - John Elway

Edit: Eagles - Norm Van Brocklin AKA "The Dutchman"
I don't see how at all Reggie White could be the best Packer of all time when he didn't even spend the majority of his career over there.

Favre and Bart Starr were easily ahead of Reggie White and Ray Nitschkie might be ahead of Reggie White as well even as the best defensive player of all time that the Packers ever had.

For the Packers though, Favre takes it hands down despite how badly people hate the guy now.
Old 08-26-2010   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm cheating because I'm including a couple coaches.

Colts: Unitas
Jacksonville Jags: Brunell? Jimmy Smith? *cough*Boselli*cough*
Titans: Kevin Dyson (my all-time fave Titan)
Texans: AJ, of course

AFC North

Ravens: Ray Lewis
Steelers: tough one, so I am going to say Chuck Noll
Bengals: Ken Anderson? Esiason?
Browns: Jim Brown

AFC West

Broncos: Elway, of course
Chargers: Fouts? Tomlinson? Seau?
Raiders: Like the Steelers, too many. I say Al Davis because he represents what the club used to be and simultaneously what it is currently.
Chiefs: Len Dawson

AFC East

Patriots: Brady *ugh*
Jets: Namath, still.
Dolphins: Marino, maybe Shula.
Bills: Jim Kelly

NFC North

Packers: Lombardi over Starr
Bears: Walter Payton
Lions: Barry Sanders
Vikings: for me, it's Alan Page, but I might be weird.

NFC South

Panthers: wow ... Delhomme? maybe Steve Smith?
Falcons: Bartkowski, maybe
Saints: it might already be Brees, but I'll say Sam Mills because that guy was the heart of that awesome defense they had in the '80s.
Bucs: Warren Sapp, maybe?

NFC East

Cowboys: Staubach
Redskins: Riggins, maybe ..... maybe Darrell Green?
Eagles: Chuck Bednarik
Giants: Lawrence Taylor

NFC West

49ers: Joe Montana, because he thrived in the WCO and started that dynasty.
Cardinals: Dan Dierdorf? Vai Sikahema!
Seahawks: Largent
Rams: Marshall Faulk, at the risk of brushing over years of team history - EDIT: changing vote to Deacon Jones

Last edited by eriadoc; 08-26-2010 at 09:32 PM.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

See, I think a coach could be that guy. "The Greatest Packer of All-Time" could be Vince Lombardi I believe, I don't know if I'd pick him but I think a very good case could be made. Similarly with Tom Landry.

I think it's interesting and now I'm wondering what the actual fans of each team would say. I'm thinking about going on a multi-board fact finding mission and getting a consensus from each teams fans. Are we really qualified to say who the greatest Detroit Lion of all time is? Probably not but Lions fans might be.

Like I said there are some easy ones. Jim Brown for Cleveland comes to mind fairly quickly. I don't know if all Browns fans would agree though. Maybe some of them would want Bernie Kosar or Oz?
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2010   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Greatest Oiler Campbell but George Blanda would not be far behind. Greatest NFL, Jim Brown. Greatest Houston Oiler and Texan fan would be me.
Old 08-26-2010   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
See, I think a coach could be that guy. "The Greatest Packer of All-Time" could be Vince Lombardi I believe, I don't know if I'd pick him but I think a very good case could be made. Similarly with Tom Landry.

I think it's interesting and now I'm wondering what the actual fans of each team would say. I'm thinking about going on a multi-board fact finding mission and getting a consensus from each teams fans. Are we really qualified to say who the greatest Detroit Lion of all time is? Probably not but Lions fans might be.

Like I said there are some easy ones. Jim Brown for Cleveland comes to mind fairly quickly. I don't know if all Browns fans would agree though. Maybe some of them would want Bernie Kosar or Oz?
Well for the Lions I'd say it would have to be Barry Sanders or if you really want to go back you could say Bobby Layne. Layne was the last guy there at the QB position that was great and had that team rolling. He had a bad injury in the off season and the management panicked and traded him. Layne got upset about it and rightfully so, and vowed that that the Lions would stink for the next 50 years, and that 50 years just ended last year I believe. It's just crazy when you look back at how accurate that supposed curse was that he said he was putting on them because they have literally stunk for the last 50 years. Layne was a great Detroit Lion before being traded though.
Old 08-26-2010   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

What a way to stick it to an ex-employer.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
What a way to stick it to an ex-employer.
Well at the time he was like what Brady is to the Patriots or what Manning is to the Colts and they panicked and traded him out of there just because he got hurt. They did Layne wrong actually, and he Layne was a hard nose tough SOB that didn't put up with anything. There used to be stories of when he was at Texas that he'd beat the snot out of his WR's for dropping passes in games. Lol! Layne was a hard nose QB all the way.
Old 08-26-2010   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

One more magic power I'd like to have.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The 49ers is a tough call between Joe Montana and Jerry Rice...

Any team with multiple championships is going to be tough, because they are most likely loaded with great players.

The Cowboys is one of those. A solid case could be made for many, but I'd probably go with the all-time rushing leader in Emmitt Smith.

I don't even know where to start with the Steelers. Geez, tough call.

I'd probably agree with eriadoc's list for most of them.
Old 08-26-2010   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The 49ers is a tough call between Joe Montana and Jerry Rice...

Any team with multiple championships is going to be tough, because they are most likely loaded with great players.

The Cowboys is one of those. A solid case could be made for many, but I'd probably go with the all-time rushing leader in Emmitt Smith.

I don't even know where to start with the Steelers. Geez, tough call.

I'd probably agree with eriadoc's list for most of them.
Settle the Niners question by just inserting the coach: Bill Walsh.
Old 08-26-2010   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Settle the Niners question by just inserting the coach: Bill Walsh.
I can't argue with that!
Old 08-26-2010   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Colts: Art Donovan (badass and funny sob)
Jacksonville Jags: MJD
Titans: Eddie George
Texans: AJ, D-Ryans

AFC North

Ravens: Ray Lewis
Steelers: Joe Green, Jack Lambert, Mel Blount
Bengals: Anthony Munoz
Browns: Jim Brown, Marion Motley

AFC West

Broncos: Elway, Floyd Little
Chargers: Fouts
Raiders: Howie Long, Gene Upshaw
Chiefs: Len Dawson, Hank Stram

AFC East

Patriots: Andre Tippett
Jets: Namath, Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau
Dolphins: Larry Little, Bob Griese, Nick Buoniconti
Bills: Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly

NFC North

Packers: Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, Reggie White, Brett Favre
Bears: Mike Singletary, Walter Payton, Mike Ditka
Lions: Barry Sanders
Vikings: Jim Marshall

NFC South

Panthers: Steve Smith
Falcons: Morten Andersen
Saints: Sam Mills, Rickey Jackson
Bucs: Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, Mike Alstott

NFC East

Cowboys: Tony Dorsett, Roger Staubach, Randy White, Bob Lilly
Redskins: John Riggins, Russ Grim and the hogs, Darrell Green?
Eagles: Reggie White, Sonny Jurgensen
Giants: Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson

NFC West

49ers: Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott
Cardinals: Pat Tillman, Dan Dierdorf
Seahawks: Steve Largent
Rams: Merlin Olsen, Jack Youngblood, Deacon Jones, Eric Dickerson
Sorry eriadoc, I'm lazy and piggy-backed your post and changed for my faves
Old 08-26-2010   #17
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Herv- man what a great way to get a debate going.. some teams are so rich in tradition, that you could go statistically or fan favorite...and both would be correct.. Teams like NY, GB, Baltimore Colts, Minnesota..ie, old skool teams have had greatness in the organization for most of all of their existance. Picking the greatest from them in our opinion would sure to get snickered at if asking your parents or grandparents on who was the best of times...

Rep to you.. for some teams, there is no debate, for the rest, let the fun begin !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't see how at all Reggie White could be the best Packer of all time when he didn't even spend the majority of his career over there.

Favre and Bart Starr were easily ahead of Reggie White and Ray Nitschkie might be ahead of Reggie White as well even as the best defensive player of all time that the Packers ever had.

For the Packers though, Favre takes it hands down despite how badly people hate the guy now.
Reggie White played for the Eagles from 85-92 and the Packers from 93-98. He was a probowler and all-pro 13 years in a row with those teams, but he won the super bowl with the Packers. Both teams have his number retired (only player in NFL history to have that), so it could go either way but I think he belongs on the Packers for this list. Favre certainly does deserve consideration for the Packers, but Reggie White belongs on this list somewhere.
Old 08-26-2010   #19
THE NFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL

Manning over Unitas and it isnt close. Manning may be the greatest QB to ever play the game.

Titans- McNair

Oilers Earl

Texans - AJ (not close)
THE NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL View Post
Manning over Unitas and it isnt close. Manning may be the greatest QB to ever play the game.

Titans- McNair

Oilers Earl

Texans - AJ (not close)
I think that if you are going to split the Oilers/Titans then you have to split the Balt./Indy Colts and the Clev. Browns/Balt. Ravens/Clev. Browns and the LA Rams/ St L Rams

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read