Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-25-2010   #1
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Colt McCoy may be waived

The shotgun spread offense doesn't really translate to the pro's - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-265084
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #2
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colt McCoy may be waived

Maybe they are hoping for practice squad.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Man...If they cut any of those guys I think I'd take them over Orvlosky..Delhomme, Wallace or colt
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a shock to me.

I think Colt McCoy is going to develop into a very good NFL QB. And I think Cleveland is the place for him to do it.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
This is a shock to me.

I think Colt McCoy is going to develop into a very good NFL QB. And I think Cleveland is the place for him to do it.
It won't be a shock to me at all. I've said since Colt's Junior season that I didn't see him ever being a NFL QB. He doesn't seem tall enough and his arm isn't strong enough to me either. People like to site Drew Brees every time this discussion comes up, but Brees is more of an exception as far as his height goes than the ladder. I hope I'm wrong, because I'm a huge Colt fan, but I just don't see him as an NFL QB. Not as a starter anywhere.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
It won't be a shock to me at all. I've said since Colt's Junior season that I didn't see him ever being a NFL QB. He doesn't seem tall enough and his arm isn't strong enough to me either. People like to site Drew Brees every time this discussion comes up, but Brees is more of an exception as far as his height goes than the ladder. I hope I'm wrong, because I'm a huge Colt fan, but I just don't see him as an NFL QB. Not as a starter anywhere.
With our TEs, Walter and Rbs he would not need a strong arm. I'd sign him.
Old 08-25-2010   #7
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If nothing else, it could distract the Houston love for another former UT QB

The only reason this makes sense is if the Browns really want Locker or Mallet next year

Delhomme and Wallace are not permenant solutions
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2010   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
If nothing else, it could distract the Houston love for another former UT QB

The only reason this makes sense is if the Browns really want Locker or Mallet next year

Delhomme and Wallace are not permenant solutions
How would wanting Locker or Mallet (or maybe Luck) next year cause getting rid of Colt this year to make sense?
Old 08-25-2010   #9
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
How would wanting Locker or Mallet (or maybe Luck) next year cause getting rid of Colt this year to make sense?
They took him as a QB for the future, with Delhomme keeping the seat warm. If they lost faith in Colt or fell in love with a top pick, it makes sense
Old 08-25-2010   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They took him as a QB for the future, with Delhomme keeping the seat warm. If they lost faith in Colt or fell in love with a top pick, it makes sense
It seems to me that if they need a QB of the future that badly, that actually makes it dumber to get rid of him now. You've got a 1 year free no/risk look at what he might become. If you're right - cut him in a year with perhaps slightly less egg on your face, and have the ability to go after one of those two (or three) anyway. If he proves you wrong, you've still got him.
Old 08-25-2010   #11
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe they are hoping for practice squad.
No, I think Colt is hoping for the practice squad. I'm not surprised at all that he is on the bubble. He was a good College QB and I never could see him on the NFL level. He won't be the first big name college QB to lay a egg on the next level. I Never thought Colt had "it".
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

One team's loss may be another team's gem.
Old 08-25-2010   #13
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sign him for what...we already have to many waterboys. Colt = Major Applewhite...go into coaching young man.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

This can't be true. I just can't imagine a team just giving up and waiving a 3rd (4th? I forget which round he went) round QB who was going to be a project to begin with. It is the Browns though, so who knows.
Old 08-25-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
This can't be true. I just can't imagine a team just giving up and waiving a 3rd (4th? I forget which round he went) round QB who was going to be a project to begin with. It is the Browns though, so who knows.
Consider the source.
Old 08-25-2010   #16
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33391 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

If this happens, then just wow. Its all speculation at the moment, but I'd be shocked if the Browns ditched Colt before the season opener.

This could turn out to be a pretty good example for what can happen to a QB for not choosing to go into the draft early. I'm not sure he would have fallen to the 3rd round if he'd came out after the junior season.

Either way, I hope he at least gets a shot at some game time with a team. If not, we'll have him up here in Canada to replace Casey Printers for the BC Lions!
Old 08-25-2010   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Colt will never be a long term starter anywhere, and I've said that since his Junior season and keep in mind I'm a huge Longhorns and Colt McCoy fan. Most Longhorn fans analyze him as a guy with all this potential because they "want" him to do well, but haven't considered the fact that QB's his size and height hardly ever make it in the league these days and most coaches hate QB's his height whether they're good or not. Most of them don't get much of a chance.

Colt's got a lack of arm strength for the NFL, he's got a lack of height, and he's got a small frame. He'll be a back up and nothing more in the NFL and I doubt that he'll even be a back up for more than 3 seasons. Every time someone mentions these things people like to scream out Drew Brees, Drew Brees like he's comparable, but that's just nuts to me. Colt McCoy is no Drew Brees. He was your typical guy that was perfect for the college game just like Matt Heipel was for Oklahoma when he won the Heisman and the National Championship.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see if he can return kicks.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #19
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Colt will never be a long term starter anywhere, and I've said that since his Junior season and keep in mind I'm a huge Longhorns and Colt McCoy fan. Most Longhorn fans analyze him as a guy with all this potential because they "want" him to do well, but haven't considered the fact that QB's his size and height hardly ever make it in the league these days and most coaches hate QB's his height whether they're good or not. Most of them don't get much of a chance.

Colt's got a lack of arm strength for the NFL, he's got a lack of height, and he's got a small frame. He'll be a back up and nothing more in the NFL and I doubt that he'll even be a back up for more than 3 seasons. Every time someone mentions these things people like to scream out Drew Brees, Drew Brees like he's comparable, but that's just nuts to me. Colt McCoy is no Drew Brees. He was your typical guy that was perfect for the college game just like Matt Heipel was for Oklahoma when he won the Heisman and the National Championship.
You hit the nail on the head. Drew Brees is one in a million.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Drew Brees is one in a million.
Except for Chase Daniels

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read