Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-25-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Owners to meet to debate 18-game season

The 18-game season season may have a good deal to do with if we have a 2011 season or not. Money is a concern on the part of owners and players. But injuries seem to be a concern mostly on the part of the players. Fans are no factor beyond their willingness to contribute to the "kitty."

Since NFL season ticket holders pay full price for all 10 home games, including preseason games, revenues won't change there. But there would be an inevitable increase in non season ticket holder ticket sales bumping the revenues. Somehow, I would not count on NFL teams not raising ticket prices for their present and newly "captive" audiences. Cable and satellite contracts will also logically require adjustment with little doubt that fan's bills will likewise see a rise for the "privilege" of watching an additional 2 regular season games.

See article: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...d-season_N.htm
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Owners to meet to debate 18-game season

I have very mixed feelings about an 18 game season, I think more negative ones that positive ones. The starters playing more games means more injuries, so will the teams roster size increase to make up for this?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard Goose Gosselin talk on a radio show yesterday and he had these ideas about changing the current season:

go to 18 regular season games with an extra bye week.

do away with preseason as it currently exists and go to 2 controlled practice games. One at your home training camp. One away.

He felt sure there would be a lockout next season; he has no idea how long it would last but he said the main issue is always going to be money related.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #4
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I have very mixed feelings about an 18 game season, I think more negative ones that positive ones. The starters playing more games means more injuries, so will the teams roster size increase to make up for this?
Marcellus Wiley had an interesting point on this. He said as a player, he'd much rather play two additional regular season games than go through the two weeks of preseason that would be eliminated. His point was that even if your only playing a series or two in those games, the training camp atmosphere between pre-season games is far more grueling than what goes on during the week in the regular season.

I think that an 18 game season would include both increased roster size, more game-day active players, and a revision to the IR rules to let players return in-season (after a minimum period of time) rather than having be simply the remainder of the season.
Old 08-25-2010   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my idea.

Preserve the 16 game format, but remove two pre-season games and replace them with 2 bye weeks. That would give 19 weeks of actual football season as opposed to 17, and you could do bye weeks in 3 blocks of 4 week spans. So if your team has a bye in week 4, then they would have a bye in week 8 and 12 as well. The last three weeks would have no bye weeks, so you still have a strong ending to the season with all the playoff contention.

This system would have 8 teams on byes at a time instead of 4 or 6, but the season still goes longer without actually increasing the number of games. You would get to see more games from teams that are not in your local market, which may also create some interest among fans who would otherwise not see teams from the opposite coast. It would also give players a bit more time to recover or to rest nagging injuries. But it is a tough sell to the owners because they lose 1 home preseason game without much compensation, unless the TV revenue increases from having 2 extra weeks of meaningful football on TV.

Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2010   #6
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Expanding the regular season by two games will also effect the new records that would be established.

1,000 yd rushers will really be no big deal at all with 18 games. All-time passing and rushing leaders, etc. would have their records more easily and quickly broken.

I'm just waiting for the owners to stick it to the fans with much higher ticket and concession prices.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #7
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I'm just waiting for the owners to stick it to the fans with much higher ticket and concession prices.
From a fan/consumer standpoint, more games should equate to cheaper tickets, as there is more supply now available, and a slightly smaller demand.

The owners may still raise ticket prices though...
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2010   #8
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the total number of games would remain the same and that the pre-season would be cut to just two games.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Baseball and basketball both lost me because of overt commercialization of the product, player strikes, and insane salaries for cry baby pro athletics. It would take a lot for football to drive me away, but it can be done I suppose.

Iím to the point now where I donít finically support the football product anymore. I donít go to games, donít buy jerseys, just watch it on TV and thatís it. I would hate to think the NFL could do something as horrible as the NBA or MLB did. I hope not anyways, because Sundays would be awful boring without football.

Old 08-25-2010   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not want to see any sort of change at all but I wouldn't get upset if the preseason simply shrunk to a pair of games instead of four. Yes, I just said I'd prefer less football. No, I'm not running a fever. I think 18 games is too many for a regular season. I'd prefer players took less of a beating.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #11
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I do not want to see any sort of change at all but I wouldn't get upset if the preseason simply shrunk to a pair of games instead of four. Yes, I just said I'd prefer less football. No, I'm not running a fever. I think 18 games is too many for a regular season. I'd prefer players took less of a beating.
Agreed. With all the off-season training and team activities that go on, they just don't need a month of pre-season games any more. Chop 2 pre-season games off and stick with a 16 game schedule. And maybe you could throw in an extra bye week as well. An 18 week regular season with 2 bye weeks, and having the pre-season cut in half. Perfect!!

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
From a fan/consumer standpoint, more games should equate to cheaper tickets, as there is more supply now available, and a slightly smaller demand.

The owners may still raise ticket prices though...
When is the last time you saw the league or teams drop or even hold prices for more product..........unless, of course, they were having a "fire sale" trying to avoid worse consequences, e.g., "blackout" or franchise move?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
When is the last time you saw the league or teams drop or even hold prices for more product..........unless, of course, they were having a "fire sale" trying to avoid worse consequences, e.g., "blackout" or franchise move?
Which is exactly why the idea that they would simply eliminate two preseason games without replacing them with regular season games is laughable.

For me, I say give me 18 RS games. I just don't see the difference of converting two pre-season games (and two weeks of pre-season practice) to two regular season games as that big a deal. I'll take more real football thank you.

As to the stats - it's football. Jim Brown played 12 games a year the first four seasons of his career - then went to 14. Nobody really cared about that when Walther Payton broke his all-time record. O.J. Simpson played 14 games the season he broke the 2,000 yard barrier the first time. It gets mentioned, but the fact that every NFL rusher who has subsequently gone over 2,000 yards did it in a 16 game season doesn't really taint the accomplishment.

The NFL played 12 games up until 1961. They played 14 games up until 1978. Folks adjust - the NFL is not a statistics driven league.
Old 08-25-2010   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Injuries are my chief concern, as well. Watching a bunch of second/third stringers in the playoffs is not a good product.

I'd rather see the NFL get rid of conferences. Just have 8 division winners and 4 wildcards. Then you won't have an 8-8 wildcard from one conference make the playoffs with an 11-5 or 10-6 from the other conference not make the playoffs. 8-8 wildcard teams are not playoff worthy, IMO. Conferences have outlived themselves with the playoffs structured like they are now. The two best teams should be in the Super Bowl, not a conference championship game.
Old 08-25-2010   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Injuries are my chief concern, as well. Watching a bunch of second/third stringers in the playoffs is not a good product.

I'd rather see the NFL get rid of conferences. Just have 8 division winners and 4 wildcards. Then you won't have an 8-8 wildcard from one conference make the playoffs with an 11-5 or 10-6 from the other conference not make the playoffs. 8-8 wildcard teams are not playoff worthy, IMO. Conferences have outlived themselves with the playoffs structured like they are now. The two best teams should be in the Super Bowl, not a conference championship game.
The problem is the 8-8 (or worse) teams in the playoffs have gotten there because they won their divison - not as wildcards, and your system wouldn't change that.
Old 08-25-2010   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:

You know DB, I think I like your idea there of getting rid of the conferances.

Old 08-25-2010   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The problem is the 8-8 (or worse) teams in the playoffs have gotten there because they won their divison - not as wildcards, and your system wouldn't change that.
yeah, this is true, but at least division games still mean something. You would still have the potential of 8-8 division winners, but at least it greatly reduces a .500 wildcard team.

Quote:
You know DB, I think I like your idea there of getting rid of the conferances.
Thanks, man! I've been rolling this idea around in my head for awhile, and with the exception of nostalgia about the merger of the NFL & AFL, I don't see the point of conferences these days.
Old 08-25-2010   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Thanks, man! I've been rolling this idea around in my head for awhile, and with the exception of nostalgia about the merger of the NFL & AFL, I don't see the point of conferences these days.
Considering the number of old NFL teams in the AFL conferance, it doesn't really have any real meaning any more other than as a label for the conferance. No one really cares about their "trophy" for winning the AFC or the NFC, if they don't get the REAL trophy at the Super Bowl it doesn't mean much.

Old 08-25-2010   #19
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

But, how would you determine who played in the pro bowl for which side? There's always gotta be sides! Would you change it to a North/South or East/West?
Old 08-25-2010   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
But, how would you determine who played in the pro bowl for which side? There's always gotta be sides! Would you change it to a North/South or East/West?
there's always someone in the crowd that will stick a pin in your balloon. LOL

Good point though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read