Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2005   #21
barzilla
Veteran

I think what's interesting is that when I look at this team there aren't that many gaping holes. Yet, a lot of our positions are like tight end. Bruener and Miller are passable tight ends, but their nothing special. That becomes a problem when you look at the rest of our offense. We have an offensive line full of nothing special but passable. We have a recieving core that is made up of passable but nothing special outside of Johnson. I think the defense is the same thing.

Casserly has done a good job of filling holes, but now we need to add those special players. The defensive end is the same kind of deal. I think Robinson has a chance to be special and Glenn has been at times, but the DL is full of passable but nothing special. We can only hope that Babin and Peek develop into that eventually.

Hopefully, Joppru will be an upgrade, but we need at upgrade at several positions before we can be a legitimate playoff contender. I was hoping we would do more in free agency this off-season so we wouldn't have to rely on hitting the Royal Flush on the draft.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #22
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I really want us to address the WR#2 position before the season. I hope the plan isn't to stick with what we have right now and hope someone steps up.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #23
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the only thing bennie joppru has to do is come in during training camp and take the starting TE job from miller and bruener...if he can do that his 2 year rehab festivial will be ok...personally i'm not sure what all happened to the kid...all i know is so far he has been the biggest bust of our draft picks so far...and 2nd round pick who has yet to get past training camp...and to think we could've had jason witten...after seeing the production he's had makes you wonder how good this kid was supposed to be and how good he will be
Old 03-18-2005   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He had his groin detached from his bone, so I can't see how that plays into his talent. He has incredible hands and is going to be a player if he can overcome this injury. Count on it. I have a sneaky feeling he is going to end up a fan favorite soon, and will bring some more toughness to this milquetoast offense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #25
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
the only thing bennie joppru has to do is come in during training camp and take the starting TE job from miller and bruener...if he can do that his 2 year rehab festivial will be ok...
Agreed...If he isn't named the starter over those two, then we're in trouble...
Old 03-18-2005   #26
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
It would be nice. Not sure he is ready to be our best blocker and receiver at TE though. Lot-O-Rust! In a year where Carr's protection is key, having Jobbru in as a blocker makes me nervious.
Eggs zactly!! I'd much rather have a big ol' tackle blocking for Carr. How much did it help having Breuner blocking or Miller catching a few? We've got Wells &
& Davis for "dump" passes.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #27
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

[b]HEY BARZILLA

Mr. Barzilla? Teacher at Creek?
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2005   #28
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He had his groin detached from his bone, so I can't see how that plays into his talent. He has incredible hands and is going to be a player if he can overcome this injury. Count on it. I have a sneaky feeling he is going to end up a fan favorite soon, and will bring some more toughness to this milquetoast offense.
I hope so Vinny! If Billy Miller is going to be replaced, as so many of you want him to be, then I would want it to be with someone the Texans have invested so much time in.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #29
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default Play Calling TE

Most of teams in NFL that improved on offense used TE underneath due to change in illegal contact rules. will Palmer change our game plans if Joppru comes back or will we miss a lot of opportunities underneath for play not being called
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #30
stephen1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
[b]HEY BARZILLA

Mr. Barzilla? Teacher at Creek?
cy creek????????
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #31
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He has incredible hands and is going to be a player if he can overcome this injury. Count on it. I have a sneaky feeling he is going to end up a fan favorite soon, and will bring some more toughness to this milquetoast offense.

Love the optimism. I really hope you're right. But this has been a looooooooooong recovery and I have to think that even the hands will take a while to get up to NFL proficiency. Even if he plays all 16 games next year I don't think he'll make the huge impact that some have predicted. I'll settle for stopping some of the bleeding in pass protection and for becoming an occasional alternative to DD on every single bailout toss.

My own "sneaky feeling" is that he's going to be reinjured fairly quickly and that will be the end of the experiment, but I much prefer your P.O.V.!
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not counting on it or anything. I'm sure my pov is on the optimistic side on this one.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #33
barzilla
Veteran

Yeah, I teach at Clear Creek High
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #34
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
wow. who the hell cares he is not in college anymore. He better show me something on the field or he will be replaced. Luckily he does not have to be that good to be a step up from Billy Miller
Well, I'm sure Bennie's sweating now that he understands that he will be replaced if he fails to meet your minimum standards. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

Bennie Joppru is not going to have a break out year like Gates did. At least he's not going to have it in 2005. Anyone planning on watching him own the opposition better prepare for a letdown. He hasn't played any football in two years. Yes he's got two seasons under his belt with a playbook in his hands. He should have a good understanding of what he's supposed to do most of the time. The rust will have to come off before he can "bust out".

Assuming he stays healthy this year I expect to see Joppru get some playing time. I'll consider it a positive season if he can drive the other TE's to the bench by the end of the year.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #35
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1
cy creek????????
cy creek, Langham Creek, Mayde Creek, Clear Creek...stop the madness!
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #36
cptnbreakdance
Veteran

What I'm looking forward to are two tight end sets with Joppru and Miller, they would give Lbs fits in coverage, it would take a little pressure off of the outside passing game too, and open up running lanes for D-Day
Old 03-18-2005   #37
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point does Joppru have an advantage over a rookie . I can't think of a situation like this before .

Was'nt Garrison Hearst injured for a couple of years with a knee then an ankle ?
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #38
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
At this point does Joppru have an advantage over a rookie . I can't think of a situation like this before .

Was'nt Garrison Hearst injured for a couple of years with a knee then an ankle ?
He should know the playbook pretty well. That's about it.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #39
pskinny
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
he stays healthy this year I expect to see Joppru get some playing time. I'll consider it a positive season if he can drive the other TE's to the bench by the end of the year.
agreed.......
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #40
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think this is a make it or break it year for the guy. High draft pick and he's been hurt for 2 years. In most cases that is considered "bust" material. Even though it's not his fault you draft guys high they play or you wasted the pick.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read