Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2005   #1
DBLR1
Rookie

Default It's all about Joppru!!

If Bennie comes back this season and actually contributes, I believe that he will make an Antonio Gates type impact. I know some of you are going to try and flame me for this but I have heard Charlie say he was ready to play at the end of the season last year but they wanted him to be 100 % healed and ready to go. He is a great TE or they wouldn't of drafted him so early back a couple of years ago. You all just think about if we had him back playing solid with the O. I guess we will see but that is what I am excited about! :woot
DBLR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #2
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

It may be a bit much to say he's going to make an Antonio Gates kind of impact in his first NFL action. Even Antonio Gates didn't make an Antonio Gates kind of impact in his first NFL season. He bursted out this past season, and put himself among the leagues best TEs. Jason Witten played well this past season too, and he spent his rookie year getting used to the NFL. Don't get me wrong I think a healthy Joppru will do wonders for the Texans' offense (especially in the red zone). However, I don't expect him to burst on the stage and become an elite TE right off the bat. I just want him to block when he's supposed to, and to catch the ball and pick up some first downs and maybe a few TD in the redzone. Oh yeah I want him to do one more thing. Stay healthy PLEASE!!!
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #3
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLR1
If Bennie comes back this season and actually contributes, I believe that he will make an Antonio Gates type impact. I know some of you are going to try and flame me for this but I have heard Charlie say he was ready to play at the end of the season last year but they wanted him to be 100 % healed and ready to go. He is a great TE or they wouldn't of drafted him so early back a couple of years ago. You all just think about if we had him back playing solid with the O. I guess we will see but that is what I am excited about! :woot
I hope your right. I loved drafting him and want him to do very well.
Old 03-17-2005   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLR1
If Bennie comes back this season and actually contributes, I believe that he will make an Antonio Gates type impact.
If you mean he will come in like Gates did his rookie season, I hope so and I hope people don't flame him for not doing better than 24 rec. 389 yds, 2 TD's--it would be better than all the TE's combined last year. If you mean he is going to come in like Gates did his 2nd year, you are setting the bar way, way too high--Gates just set the all time TE single season TD record.
Old 03-17-2005   #5
DBLR1
Rookie

#1-needs to stay healthy without a doubt
#2-he has watched the NFL game from a sideline perspective and sometimes that is very informational to a player, so if payed attention and learned as much as possible from the sideline, I think it will allow him to progress quicker
#3-the dude has sooo much upside and playing with the guys we put on the field (A.J, D.D, D.C), I think he will leave it all out on the field
#4-he has something to prove, that is where I think he is really gonna show it
DBLR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #6
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
If you mean he will come in like Gates did his rookie season, I hope so and I hope people don't flame him for not doing better than 24 rec. 389 yds, 2 TD's--it would be better than all the TE's combined last year. If you mean he is going to come in like Gates did his 2nd year, you are setting the bar way, way too high--Gates just set the all time TE single season TD record.
Hey, let us dream. Just kidding, I don't think he'll that big of an impact but he will be good.
Old 03-17-2005   #7
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

lord i doubt he'll do as well as Gates, heck i dont know if he'll do anything at all, been a while since he's stepped on the field hasnt it ? could have a lil rust
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2005   #8
barzilla
Veteran

We do have to remember that Gates is not a blocker. The best thing he can do is be a legitimate threat AND a blocker. The problem is that when Mark Bruener is in the game the other team KNOWS he is blocking and when Miller was in the game the other team knew he was a recieving threat. Having a tight end that can do both would be nice.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be nice if he can turn into a Todd Heap type player. Hopefully he is somewhere between Anthony Becht and him. We would have a very dangerous offense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #10
Jwwillis
All Pro

It would be nice. Not sure he is ready to be our best blocker and receiver at TE though. Lot-O-Rust! In a year where Carr's protection is key, having Jobbru in as a blocker makes me nervious.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #11
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Next season Joppru will key the key to our offense if we're going to show any improvement at all...If he's healthy, he'd be another safety valve for Carr if he's forced to roll out, and he wouldn't tip the opposition as to what type of play we are going to run, not to mention how much of a boost it would be to have him in red zone situations...

He won't be Heap, Gonzalez, or Gates just yet, but I really like his potential and I could see him getting about 35 receptions and 4 or 5 TDs next year...
Old 03-18-2005   #12
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping for a Bubba Franks type player.

Last edited by STEEL BLUE TEXANS; 03-18-2005 at 12:49 AM.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #13
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

im hoping he plays a down

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #14
Rosusu
All Pro

Well if we get anything at all it will be better than last season. We got nothing from our TE position last year and it is hurting us. I think I can actually recall every catch by bruener and miller. I cant say the same for any other reciever on our team. If Joppru is healthy and catches a few balls and does his job blocking then we will show improvement at that position. It will also help our O because it wont be obvious that it is a running or passing play. I want to see him succeed!
Old 03-18-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember that one catch Bruenor made in preseason where he just about dragged the defenders with him while they tried to tackle him.

I had high hopes for him and was pretty disappointed with his production. I dunno if Carr just didnt get it to him.. but more likely he either didnt get open, or was restricted to blocking duties to try to make up for our poor pass blocking
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

eh.. this draft sucks at TE.. I honestly wouldnt use a pick on any of them except possibly Matt Jones.

I think we are better off just trying to find a diamond in the rough in the 6th or 7th round.. or trying to pick one up in a hurry through FA.

really though.. we have Gaffney, Armstrong, and DD.. all of them are capable of doing the duties of a receiving TE. So I dont think we will be dead in the water without a good TE.. but i do think we need to try to do something about it by next year if Joppru doesnt step up.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #17
outofhnd
All Pro

We will prolly draft a TE in the later rounds maybe as hi as our 2nd 3rd round pick. The X factor is how many tight ends will there be in the draft next year? I think we try to find a gem a big body with good hands and then teach him to block.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #18
Bayern
Veteran

Look at that monster!

Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #19
Bayern
Veteran

By the way thats Joppru. I know this is an old pic, but I'm looking at it like he's a rookie this year and I can't wait to see what he can do when he finally gets on the field!
Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #20
cadahnic
All Pro

wow. who the hell cares he is not in college anymore. He better show me something on the field or he will be replaced. Luckily he does not have to be that good to be a step up from Billy Miller
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read