Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2010   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steve Slaton as Kick Returner??

He's done well. Even going back to his rookie season he did real well. It's just that I don't feel comfortable with this dude returning kicks when he can't hang on to the ball.

I could just see him going into that pile that everyone always wonders why kicker returners go directly to, getting hit, and coughing up the rock.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steve Slaton as Kick Returner??

I get chills, and not good ones, reading this. I don't want Slaton returning kicks until he gets his problem fixed.

But, if he could hang onto the ball, I think he'd make a good returner.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I get chills, and not good ones, reading this. I don't want Slaton returning kicks until he gets his problem fixed.

But, if he could hang onto the ball, I think he'd make a good returner.
Me too. Anyone think this could actually help him??
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Me too. Anyone think this could actually help him??

No. If he gets his fumbling problem fixed, he's too important to the offense.
Old 08-24-2010   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
No. If he gets his fumbling problem fixed, he's too important to the offense.
I don't think he's going to have enough carries this year to be as important as he was supposed to be in 2009 or he actually was in 2008. If he can return kicks without having his head separated from his body then I don't see why he should be automatically precluded from those duties.

Right now, Arian Foster is the most important RB, and if Slaton makes contributions busting punts and kick-offs he should probably be allowed. I don't see Steve taking Arian's job away, Arian would have to fumble that away himself.
Old 08-24-2010   #6
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't think he's going to have enough carries this year to be as important as he was supposed to be in 2009 or he actually was in 2008. If he can return kicks without having his head separated from his body then I don't see why he should be automatically precluded from those duties.

Right now, Arian Foster is the most important RB, and if Slaton makes contributions busting punts and kick-offs he should probably be allowed. I don't see Steve taking Arian's job away, Arian would have to fumble that away himself.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #7
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

He returned a couple in the Saints game, and I had to close my eyes!! I was waiting for the roar of the fans to tell me he had coughed up the ball! He and JJ still scare the hell out of me!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2010   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton did pretty well returning kicks in the sAints game .... I watched them multiple times and he covered up the ball with both hands when in traffic .....

He may have his problem solved and that play on the goal line may just have been a fluke - take a look at those plays in particular and see for yourself , maybe Im just crazy.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually think his fumble in the Zona game was a fluke thing.
Old 08-24-2010   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I actually think his fumble in the Zona game was a fluke thing.
He won't normally be used like that at the goal line anyway. He was just running with the 2's.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He won't normally be used like that at the goal line anyway. He was just running with the 2's.
That and it looked like an awkward/unexpected hit.
Old 08-24-2010   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd prefer looking for a returner off the waiver wire and letting Slaton & Jacoby Jones concentrate on offense. Their explosiveness could be the difference in turning the offense from good to truly elite.
Old 08-24-2010   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'd prefer looking for a returner off the waiver wire and letting Slaton & Jacoby Jones concentrate on offense. Their explosiveness could be the difference in turning the offense from good to truly elite.
Sherrick McMannis and Andre` Davis would probably get tries before we relegate ourselves to finding a guy like that right before the season starts.
Old 08-24-2010   #14
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sherrick McMannis and Andre` Davis would probably get tries before we relegate ourselves to finding a guy like that right before the season starts.
And J. Johnson could be in the mix.
Old 08-24-2010   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are always solid returners who don't make the final cut. I don't think Davis has it any longer, and I'm not McManis has ever had it.
Old 08-24-2010   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't forget Jeremiah Johnson. He may make the team as a returner.
Old 08-24-2010   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Normally I'd agree with that but in the case of Slaton , it lets him do what he does best and any time he gets the ball in the open field , one mistake and he can make a team pay.

With how Foster and to some extent Johnson have performed thus far in the pre-season , Im not sure Slaton is more than a 3rd down back for this team.
To me , Slaton hasnt looked as good as either of those guy's running the ball. His biggest value is on plays in space .... if returning kick offs gives him more touches under those conditions , Im fine with it.

As for JJ , I'd like to see him at WR full time rather than returning punts.

Old 08-24-2010   #18
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
That and it looked like an awkward/unexpected hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Slaton did pretty well returning kicks in the sAints game .... I watched them multiple times and he covered up the ball with both hands when in traffic .....

He may have his problem solved and that play on the goal line may just have been a fluke - take a look at those plays in particular and see for yourself , maybe Im just crazy.

It's the goal line, you are going to get players SLICING through the defense and all kind of akward hits are going to happy.. COVER UP THE BALL, there is NO excuse for this.. why do people make excuses for fumbles is beyond me. About the only time a valid fumble occurs for me is when the helmet is placed on the ball and squirts out from a collision like a rocket.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

It's the goal line, you are going to get players SLICING through the defense and all kind of akward hits are going to happy.. COVER UP THE BALL, there is NO excuse for this.. why do people make excuses for fumbles is beyond me. About the only time a valid fumble occurs for me is when the helmet is placed on the ball and squirts out from a collision like a rocket.
Im by no means making excuses for Slaton - Just pointing out what I saw on those KR's - He covered the ball with both hands , something I couldnt see on the goal line play ....

Old 08-25-2010   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Normally I'd agree with that but in the case of Slaton , it lets him do what he does best and any time he gets the ball in the open field , one mistake and he can make a team pay.

With how Foster and to some extent Johnson have performed thus far in the pre-season , Im not sure Slaton is more than a 3rd down back for this team.
To me , Slaton hasnt looked as good as either of those guy's running the ball. His biggest value is on plays in space .... if returning kick offs gives him more touches under those conditions , Im fine with it.

As for JJ , I'd like to see him at WR full time rather than returning punts.
Foster still hasn't shown to be a play maker on the order that Steve Slaton has. Even through his fumbling, he was a dynamic part of this offense. Even as a third down, change of pace back, he is more valuable to the team than someone you would want "exposed" to kick & punt returns.

If you want to get him in open space, you can pitch the ball to him, throw him screens, or run a few draws. But I think he's still explosive enough to be very successful in the ZBS, and he's fast enough to get to and turn the corner.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read