Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2010   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Has There Been Enough Kicks To Decide Who Wins The Job So Far?

I mean I seriously do not think there have been. I think we will see a lot more of Brown and Rackers in the last two preseason games. I don't see how the coaches are going to choose the best when there have not been much of either one them thus far in no real mess ups thus far. What do you think?
Old 08-22-2010   #2
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Has There Been Enough Kicks To Decide Who Wins The Job So Far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I mean I seriously do not think there have been. I think we will see a lot more of Brown and Rackers in the last two preseason games. I don't see how the coaches are going to choose the best when there have not been much of either one them thus far in no real mess ups thus far. What do you think?
I think its Brown's job to lose right now. Brown has been fine in camp and in the preseason. Kubes knows him. If it is equal, Kubes will likely take his guy over one he doesn't really know.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I think its Brown's job to lose right now. Brown has been fine in camp and in the preseason. Kubes knows him. If it is equal, Kubes will likely take his guy over one he doesn't really know.
I see Brown making the team unless he has an awful next two games.
Old 08-22-2010   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im still holding out hope for Rackers. I think giving Brown the job back speaks poorly for accountabiliity.

You have a season like that, for any reason, and you should be gone
Old 08-22-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
................and he DOES know him all too well............
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 21910 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

brown needs to go
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

I just think this whole kicker battle might not go the way we all thought.
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2010   #8
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I was praying KB would get a chance to miss that 50 yarder but the screen got blown up in the backfield. I'm praying KB starts goes back to his old ways soon enough so we can get a kicker out there we can rely on. I will be highly disappointed if Rackers doesn't win the job.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #9
Dwade
Veteran

Rep Power: 56 Dwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me, or did Kubiak look unhappy after Rackers made the 51 yarder?

I think Kubiak wants to keep Brown for some strange, strange reason.
Dwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #10
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak's loyal, that's why. But, like said above, Brown needs to be held accountable for that season last year.

Then again, maybe he knows it and he won't **** up this year?
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak allows these guys to make huge paychecks, and all they get
for screwing up is "shame on you guys."

"We wubs kubes." is the battlecry, because no other self-respecting
coach would put up with a bullshit performance like yesterday. EVERY
regular season game matters, and all we get is "Oh well, it's a long
season. Fifteen games to go."

Last year, the Jets debacle on OPENING DAY put the Jets IN to postseason,
and sent the Texans HOME. The Saints practiced ALL WEEK the same
way they expect to attack the season.

Texans show up one game, take the next one off, for 3 years in a row now.
They've never shown us how preseason isn't what should be expected
over the Real Sixteen. They are RIGHT BACK into the one game up, one game
down pattern. If they stay true to form, they will roll Dallas and take a
dump against Tampa.

Make sure the distributors have that pink soap on standby if this turns
into a repeat of the 2007, 2008, and 2009 seasons.
Old 08-22-2010   #12
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

I will say that Brown's kickoffs have looked better. Kickoff performance can translate directly to yards on the field, and that can make a significant difference on its own: figure 25 yards a game (5 yards each from say, one starting-half kickoff and 4 scores). If there's not a clear winner in the field goal arena, this is likely to be the difference, and I think based on that, Brown currently has the edge.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #13
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 108383 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

Last year, the Jets debacle on OPENING DAY put the Jets IN to postseason,
and sent the Texans HOME.

Hopefully, the NO game was our jets game and we wake the fluck up before the season starts.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #14
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Hopefully, the NO game was our jets game and we wake the fluck up before the season starts.
I would say that, False Start, but the same thing happened last year
AT RELIANT against the Saints. They exposed the Texans' weakness
up the middle on both sides of the ball, and every team since exploited
it.

All a good team needs to beat the Texans, is a good enough running game,
and a quarterback to kill our LB's in the middle of the field with playaction, and
our defensive ends with draws and screens.

They need to stop this trend, NOW. You PRACTICE how you PLAY.
Old 08-22-2010   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Rackers seems to have better accuracy than Brown from what I've seen so far, but he doesn't seem to have anywhere near the range. Brown could boot FGs from 60 yards out, but Rackers needed a lucky bounce to get that 52 yarder.

It comes down to whether you want a guy who will make 90% of his kicks inside the 35 or a guy who has the leg to go those extra few yards but will inexplicably shank easy field goals.

I'd rather have a reliable guy. Atleast you know not to send him out there from the 36. You never know when you can count on Brown anymore.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown is winning. If you look, his kicks are going right down the middle now. That doinker 51 yarder that Rackers made and the line drive kickoff that landed at the 20 put KB ahead of the race.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #17
Dwade
Veteran

Rep Power: 56 Dwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Brown is winning. If you look, his kicks are going right down the middle now. That doinker 51 yarder that Rackers made and the line drive kickoff that landed at the 20 put KB ahead of the race.

How many 50+ has Brown made lately?
Dwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #18
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 108383 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I would say that, False Start, but the same thing happened last year
AT RELIANT against the Saints. They exposed the Texans' weakness
up the middle on both sides of the ball, and every team since exploited
it.

All a good team needs to beat the Texans, is a good enough running game,
and a quarterback to kill our LB's in the middle of the field with playaction, and
our defensive ends with draws and screens.

They need to stop this trend, NOW. You PRACTICE how you PLAY.
Good points.

As far as the kicker situation, I would like to see more of Rackers, and less KB.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

I would say the Texans have more than just the kicker battle to worry about after the last doo doo preformence.
Old 08-22-2010   #20
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Rackers seems to have better accuracy than Brown from what I've seen so far, but he doesn't seem to have anywhere near the range. Brown could boot FGs from 60 yards out, but Rackers needed a lucky bounce to get that 52 yarder.

It comes down to whether you want a guy who will make 90% of his kicks inside the 35 or a guy who has the leg to go those extra few yards but will inexplicably shank easy field goals.

I'd rather have a reliable guy. Atleast you know not to send him out there from the 36. You never know when you can count on Brown anymore.
Couldn't agree more.

I just did the math and teams averaged a little over 3 field goals, over the course the entire season, that were in the 50-59 yard range (Houston attempted 4).

I'd rather have the guy who's going to almost be a given from 20-49 yards but can't kick anything over 50 than the guy who can get the distance on the 3-4 50 yard attempts they have over the entire season but shanks game winners.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read