Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-21-2010   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kudos to Tony Dungy for taking Ryan to task for his Foul-Mouth

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- After Tony Dungy was publicly critical of Rex Ryan's use of profanity, the Jets head coach left a message for Dungy, inviting him to see what Ryan and his team are all about. Dungy has called back and accepted the offer.

"I did talk to Tony Dungy," Ryan said today. "He hasn’t set the date yet, but he's excited to come out and see us and things like that. We’re excited to have him."
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ryan_up_o.html
&&
Of course this all stems from the current production of HBOs Hard-Knocks,
but Dungy is kinda the modern day version of Tom Landry: quite and understated but highly respected, even revered by many football fans because of his success as an NFL Coach, his wisdom of the game, and the mans supreme sense of morality and ethics and what is proper behavior. Then at the other extreme you've got somebody like Rex Ryan. OK Ryan knows something about NFL defenses, actually quite a bit, but after that the comparison ends IMO.
Of course the New York media thought Ryan was cool with his profanity and
big mouth. They call it colorful, but Coach Dungy set that whole crowd straight along with Ryan himself.
Maybe alot of Ryans players like him and his mouth, but you know there's a lot of young men in his locker-room that don't appreciate that foul-mouth, not to mention the one's watching the tube. And Coach Dungy knows it to even if Ryan dosen't.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kudos to Tony Dungy for taking Ryan to task for his Foul-Mouth

Rex is definitely Buddy's son. Just like him. No class.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

So he curses a lot. Big deal.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm tired of this politically correct ****.

This is Football, not the fuk'n opera.
Old 08-21-2010   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

I cuss but let there be no mistake, Landry could chew somebody out horribly without cussing. Just going from his normal demeanor to aggressive meant you were in deep doodoo. People forget his full accomplishments - native texan, high school QB, pilot in WWII, NFL CB with a ton of interceptions all before becoming a coach. Dude was the bomb although he did fart around on making Staubach the starting QB.
Old 08-21-2010   #6
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I use 4-letter words all the time, but around the house. It's just the wife and me and I guess she's grown use to it after all of our years together.
But out in public ? Or if I had some kind of leadership/managerial role over young men would I talk to them in a group setting with that language ? No way. And really it just makes Ryan look and sound like a jerk, which he is.
He's obviously throwin the F-word around cause he thinks he sounds tough,
which just proves again that's he's an immature, big-mouth, jerk.
Then there's the national TV audience with all the young, some probably very young football fans.
Not cool Rex.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

It might be football and people cuss but you should not just throw words around and make them sound like they are a part of everyday conversation because they just aren't. Everyone cusses even if they don't mean to but when you are out amongst a group there is a way to get your point accross without cussing. Now if you want to get your team all fired up then you go right ahead but you do not have to cuss every thirty seconds. It is just not very pro like and does not make you anymore of a man or woman. I don't think his team cares but that does not mean it is always right or makes him any cool/better than any other coach in the NFL. You are allowed to have fun get ready for games say things but not all the time. Again, lighten up Rex and use words with a meaning to them and just look like a jerk JMO.
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2010   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
om his normal demeanor to aggressive meant you were in deep doodoo. People forget his full accomplishments - native texan, high school QB, pilot in WWII, NFL CB with a ton of interceptions all before becoming a coach.
Landry was a player-coach for two seasons, before becoming defensive coordinator as a full time coach for the Giants. He is credited with inventing the 4-3 defense while with the Giants. At the time, the Giants offensive coordinator was Vince Lombardi. The Giants head coach???? Did it really matter?
Old 08-21-2010   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Coach Landry was a great man. The world needs more like him.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got no problem with people cussing. I've known lots of very eloquent and erudite people who cussed, so it's not about being stupid or incapable of expressing yourself. I know some very powerful business people, and most of them cuss.

Cussing is just a way of expressing yourself.

I think Tony Dungy should just BTFO. It's none of his damned business how Rex Ryan talks.

And I don't like Rex Ryan and I want the Jets to totally fail this season. But that has nothing to do with the way he talks.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony Dungy is a self-righteous prick. Literally every football coach I've ever had has cursed and I'm fine with it. I really enjoy watching Rex Ryan and I could care less if he drops a thousand f-bombs on his players while he's coaching that's just his style. It obviously motivates his players enough last year to get incredibly hot during the playoffs (No, Rex's cursing was not the only reason the Jets went as far as they did) and why change a formula that helped him win.

I'm not saying Dungy was a terrible coach either (he was not) but his style was completely different. Just because one person coaches and talks different than you doesn't mean that you should imply the commissioner should take a look at him and his mouth. Give me a break.
Old 08-21-2010   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Roger should not get involved but I'll just say there is cursing and then there is just being a complete ass which is what Rex falls under IMO.
Old 08-21-2010   #13
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
So he curses a lot. Big deal.
This

Quote:

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I've got no problem with people cussing. I've known lots of very eloquent and erudite people who cussed, so it's not about being stupid or incapable of expressing yourself. I know some very powerful business people, and most of them cuss.

Cussing is just a way of expressing yourself.

I think Tony Dungy should just BTFO. It's none of his damned business how Rex Ryan talks.

And I don't like Rex Ryan and I want the Jets to totally fail this season. But that has nothing to do with the way he talks.
And ESPECIALLY This.

I've watched the first episode of Hard Knocks, and apparently the players seem to respond better to him if he talks like them. If that works for Rex, what gives the right to Dungy to judge him? I really like Tony Dungy as a coach and as a person, but I think he should have kept shut on this one.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #14
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

So, how many coaches in the Hall of Fame didn't cuss? (outside Landry)
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

I guess he has every right to be an ass as long as his team is responding to him.
Old 08-21-2010   #16
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

A discussion about whether an NFL coach should cuss or not. Where have all the good times gone?
Old 08-21-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I guess he has every right to be an ass as long as his team is responding to him.
I think he has every right to be himself, as long as he's being himself.
Old 08-21-2010   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think he has every right to be himself, as long as he's being himself.
Yes, people need to see Rex for what he really is though which is a jerk.
Old 08-23-2010   #19
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Dungy should thump the Bible on his own time.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Tony Dungy is a self-righteous prick. Literally every football coach I've ever had has cursed and I'm fine with it. I really enjoy watching Rex Ryan and I could care less if he drops a thousand f-bombs on his players while he's coaching that's just his style. It obviously motivates his players enough last year to get incredibly hot during the playoffs (No, Rex's cursing was not the only reason the Jets went as far as they did) and why change a formula that helped him win.

I'm not saying Dungy was a terrible coach either (he was not) but his style was completely different. Just because one person coaches and talks different than you doesn't mean that you should imply the commissioner should take a look at him and his mouth. Give me a break.
Dungy was a decent coach, but he isn't the be all end all. He vastly under achieved with both really good teams he had. Tampa ran him out of town cause he couldn't do it. The Colts blew home play off game after home playoff game with him there. When people basically blow him for being so great it gets annoying.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read