Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 08-18-2010   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default BYU to go Independent ?

Colorado State posted on Twitter late Tuesday that fellow Mountain West Conference member BYU will go independent in football and join the Western Athletic Conference in all other sports. A press conference is scheduled for Thursday, according to the post by @CSUFootball - the official Colorado State football Twitter account.
Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/0...#ixzz0wxjpX7Hz
&&
Hardly big, big news in college football, but just a reminder that the collegiate football landscape is still very much like a volcano which is dormant but certainly fully capable of eruption again: we aren't done with the Big 12 shakeup.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BYU to go Independent ?

I will believe it when I see it. But if it does happen, the MWC cant catch a break.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I've kinda expected it. Notre Dame has been in the news about same issue this year. BYU is probably looking for more money.
Old 08-18-2010   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get why they'd do this. According to the ESPN article BYU may not have the same status as Notre Dame should they become independent.

Quote:
school getting a seat at the BCS table like football independent Notre Dame. Furthermore, BYU is aware that it might not be afforded the same status as Notre Dame in the BCS.
If that is the case then what's the benefit in leaving while the Mountain West is right on the cusp of being a BCS league?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5473151

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I don't get why they'd do this. According to the ESPN article BYU may not have the same status as Notre Dame should they become independent.

If that is the case then what's the benefit in leaving while the Mountain West is right on the cusp of being a BCS league?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5473151
Every time they make a bowl game they would get to keep the money for themselves.

As it is now, whenever they make a bowl game their cut is given to the MWC and divided equally among all the schools in the conference.

Plus, just like any other team, if they are in the top 14 of the BCS they will be eligible for a BCS game. IIRC, Notre Dame only has to have 10 wins, regardless of their ranking. And if they are top 8 they are guaranteed a spot.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #6
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

BYU to independent is done. Fresno State reportedly accepts MWC invite.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
BYU to independent is done. Fresno State reportedly accepts MWC invite.
Thats 2 from the WAC. That conference is as good as dead. The MWC keeps up its bid to get a BCS conference, although it does take a considerable hit exchanging BYU for Fresno State.
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2010   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Nevada was supposedly invited to the MWC. That would give the MWC 10 teams, and leaves the WAC with 6. No conference has 6 teams, but where would these extra teams go?
Old 08-18-2010   #9
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

^^^You're right. Report that Nevada has followed and has accepted invite to MWC.
Old 08-19-2010   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Yep, SI is reporting that both Fresno State and Nevada are leaving the WAC to join the MWC.

The WAC is so screwed.
Old 08-19-2010   #11
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Not only is the WAC screwed, but MWC took a huge hit with Utah leaving...and now BYU. That's two teams that are consistantly in the top 25 at the end of the season.
If the MWC is still looking for a BCS bid, Fresno State and Nevada just sent them backwards. Boise State seems to be the only powerhouse left in that conference, and they just joined and don't become active until 2011.

I think BYU just screwed themselves with this move...
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans84 View Post
not only is the wac screwed, but mwc took a huge hit with utah leaving...and now byu. That's two teams that are consistantly in the top 25 at the end of the season.
If the mwc is still looking for a bcs bid, fresno state and nevada just sent them backwards. boise state seems to be the only powerhouse left in that conference, and they just joined and don't become active until 2011.

I think byu just screwed themselves with this move...
TCU?..

I think the MWC is better off this way if they can keep BYU, which is likely. The MWC is not gonna keep BYU in all the other sports if they try to go independent in football. So where would BYU go now for their other sports?

They added Boise St, Fresno St, and Nevada.

They lose Utah.

Even if they lose BYU I still don't think they moved backward. But I wouldn't say they moved forward either.
Old 08-19-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the radio guys (I'm a button pusher so not sure who) stated yesterday afternoon that the Big 12(10) could use BYU although that would added another cut of the pie. Also, he said that he thought the millions guaranteed to UT, A&M, Ok, etc may not be there after 2-3 years.
Old 08-19-2010   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

The Big XII would be smart to add one of BYU/Air Force/Colorado St and then add Louisville to get to 12 teams.

That would give them two more big markets that they don't currently reach. It might give them enough TV money to make everyone happy.
Old 08-19-2010   #15
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
TCU?..

Sad that I forgot about TCU considering I WENT to TCU!
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

College football is so freakin' FUBAR. I try and enjoy it, because it's football, but I just can't get over how screwed the whole system is. I can usually enjoy any given game, but once the game is over and you start considering what happens to the standings, competitive balance, etc., it's just completely disheartening.
Old 08-19-2010   #17
J_R
Hall of Fame

There is talk/rumor about a MWC/C-USA "superconference".

http://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/21595692529
Old 08-20-2010   #18
J_R
Hall of Fame

TomDienhart

Rivals Houston site says Cougars close to joining Mountain West.
Old 08-22-2010   #19
rmartin65
I'm Score

Reports of Hawaii going independent.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...lug=tsn-166084
Old 08-31-2010   #20
J_R
Hall of Fame

BYU reportedly goes independent.

@wilnerhotline: Breaking news: BYU goes independent, joins West Coast Conference in other sports http://bit.ly/9RJu1T

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read