Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2010   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who totes the rock?

I say we need to treat our starter gingerly during the preseason, given our RB situation and caution for injuries. Steve needs the redemption and he needs to reestablish his and his team's faith in him. Give Arian one series and let Steve take over for the rest of the half. Henry and JJ can battle it out all second half. What say you?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who totes the rock?

Texan_Bill?
Old 08-17-2010   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

People are acting like losing Ben Tate was a huge deal. I said a while back that I didn't figure that he would factor into that many touches this season.

Arian is the #1, Steve a third down or situational back.
Old 08-17-2010   #4
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Texan_Bill?
Agreed. I'll get on the horn to McNair and make this happen.

TB, you might want to start some stretching exercises and stock up on some ibuprofen.
Old 08-17-2010   #5
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see a bit more of Jeremiah Johnson. I think he ran the ball well against Arizona against 3rd stringers. It would be nice to see him up against 1st and 2nd stringers to find out if he will be a viable option in the backfield.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texan_Bill?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Agreed. I'll get on the horn to McNair and make this happen.

TB, you might want to start some stretching exercises and stock up on some ibuprofen.
I'm ready!!

Old 08-17-2010   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Game 1,

Starters play 1 maybe 2 series, unless you've got a lot to work on. This is vanilla offense, and vanilla defense, pretty much setting the foundation for everything you are going to do all season long. The object is to get the 1s on film, and find flaws in those basics. This week, they should be working on correcting what they saw on film. The 2s will also get this treatment. Most of the 2s will be on the roster, and we may need to rely on them one day.

The 3s are either young 2s who need more snaps, or guys we're trying to decide if it's worth the time and effort to keep, and teach. These guys are playing for their jobs, if not with our team, with another.

Game 2,

Hopefully we got the fix in. We'll see in more situations how our foundation is. They'll play a half, maybe they'll come out after the half.

Arian Foster will get several snaps to see how he works in several situations. But like WR, there will be opportunities to see Slaton with the 1s, and Chris Henry with the 1s. There will be a lot of different packages, TEs, WRs, FB, etc...

The last thing you want to do in any of these games, is play scared. That's when people get hurt. NOT saying Tate was playing scared, those things happen. But Foster, Slaton, & Henry need to get as many reps as they can with the 1s, against the 1s if we really want to be ready Week 1.

There will be too many situational things going on to say Foster get's one series, Slaton gets the first half.
Old 08-17-2010   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
People are acting like losing Ben Tate was a huge deal. I said a while back that I didn't figure that he would factor into that many touches this season.

Arian is the #1, Steve a third down or situational back.
I totally agree, Slaton or Foster was going to get the most carries, unless Tate made it obvious that he should get more.

That now passes to Henry & Jeremiah (I love that name).

I think people are being a little hard on Slaton (Fingers crossed & praying about his neck) but a lot of what happened the first 5 or six games IMO is on Kubiak and injuries to the OL.

I think he'll be fine, he looked good Saturday. He might not be able to carry the load, but he's good for the 10-15 carries, plus 3rd down & situations catching the ball out of the back-field.

Tate was going to have to earn his spot anyway.
Old 08-17-2010   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Madd View Post
I'd like to see a bit more of Jeremiah Johnson. I think he ran the ball well against Arizona against 3rd stringers. It would be nice to see him up against 1st and 2nd stringers to find out if he will be a viable option in the backfield.
I won't be able to watch the game again until tomorrow. I remember his speed looked good. His patience (using his blockers) is probably the best I've seen in Houston since DD. But I don't remember much early contact, and how he did in those situations.

Right now, I can see him replacing Slaton (it's still very early, but just saying) as the third down scat back guy.

But I'm not sold on him getting major (back up/spell Foster) Carries.
Old 08-17-2010   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not freaking out because of Tate, I'm just thinking how our depth went down a bit. Who is our big back to get us that extra yard we needed to get in the playoffs last year?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm ready!!

I assume you're Nigel?
Old 08-17-2010   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I assume you're Nigel?
That's "The Leg" Gruff to you mate.
Old 08-17-2010   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Just let Turk tote it when we need a big play.
Old 08-17-2010   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Before Slaton fumbled the ball I thought he was running really well. He was fighting for yards and looked pretty good. I'm not down and out on Slaton just yet.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Who totes the rock?...........Anyone who's left standing and "unbroken" by September 12.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Just let Turk tote it when we need a big play.
Hellz yeah!! In 2008 Turk had an 18 yard per carry average.
Old 08-17-2010   #17
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Couldn't we just train one of our 8 billion tight ends to come in and fall forward for a yard?
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Who totes the rock? Whoever can hold on to the rock. If it's on the ground, you aren't toting it, you're chasing it or giving it away.
Old 08-17-2010   #19
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's "The Leg" Gruff to you mate.
Got your strength and conditioning coach lined up....

Old 08-17-2010   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Got your strength and conditioning coach lined up....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read