Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2005   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Casserly's interview on NFL Sirius Radio

Wednesday noon, the folks at Sirius got a hold of Charley in Hawaii. He's on the NFL Competition Committee. (nice place to hold the committee meetings )

They wanted his comments regarding Orlando Pace. His response was that the Rams have his rights and they've franchised him. "We brought him in, and gave him a physical, and agreed to the terms of the contract" if the Rams trade him to us, but the ball is in the Rams court. It was a long shot, but we tried."

Then they asked him his opinion about all the teams that are converting to a 3-4 this season, in light of the fact that that the Texans have been running it for the past three seasons, and how would that effect Texans' chances of getting the right players for the 3-4 in the draft.

He said that you need to bear in mind that only two college teams run the 3-4. Maryland and Virginia. So when you're drafting players to play linebacker for the 3-4, you have to project. (He practically yelled that word.) He said the teams that are converting to 3-4 this season "will be interesting to watch". He added, "Atlanta began the season last year with the 3-4, but went back to the 4-3 when they figured out they didn't have the personnel for it. You have to have the right players to make the 3-4 work. We've been running it for 3 years now, and we still don't have all the pieces yet!"

He said there are different styles of the 3-4. (I didn't know that) He said that the Texans run a different style of the 3-4 than the rest of the teams. Asked to elaborate . . . he said "in our style, we want the down linemen to tie up the offensive line, and we want the linebackers the find the ball and cover. Not just the ones on the edge, all four of them". He added, "in other styles, you might have the front 3 making a more direct input, but in ours, the linebackers will find the ball and cover".

My translation: They are fat dumb, and happy with the defensive line, but they are NOT happy with the linebacker play. And it fits perfectly with the moves that are being made this offseason.

He was asked what his impressions were about Aaron Rogers and Alex Smith. He said that he hasn't studied them, since "we won't be picking quarterback high in the draft". Then he was asked to rate the running backs 1,2, 3. He laughed and said, "you guys get paid to ask questions, I get paid to NOT answer them". But his further comments indicated that he has done a LOT of studying on these guys. "Ronny Brown weighs 230, and faster. Cadillac is 210, about as fast, but more elusive, while Cedric Benson is not as fast, but more durable, a runner that get stronger in the 4th quarter, like Eddie George in his prime".

Asked about the tight-end situation. He said, This year is a "very bad" draft for tight ends. But added, "we drafted a very good tight end two years ago, Bennie Joppru, who has been hurt the last two years, and hasn't been able to play for us. He got healthy late last season, but at the time we didn't have roster spot open for him. But now, he's healthy and working out, and we expect him to participate and make a contribution in 2005."

And finally, he was asked if the effort to land Orlando Pace was knock against Seth Wand. "Not at all, in fact we're very pleased with the play with both Seth and Chester Pitts. But when you have a chance to try to get an Orlando Pace, you make the effort. "Asked about OL in the draft, he did mention Alex Barron, and only him, indicating to me that Barron is his top O lineman on the board.

But from the entire jist of the interview, I'd say linebacker is the position that he and Capers are looking at in the draft. And again, this fits right in with what they've done so far.

Last edited by Marcus; 03-17-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #2
Boris
All Pro

Rep Power: 14 Boris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVP

Thanks for the re-cap..... its appreciated.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks Marcus. Sums up much of the drivel I have been spewing lately Perhaps people will start believing me about my Joppru comments now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #4
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3006 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default good job

Great report Marcus. Kudos.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #5
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I really appreciate you taking the time to fill us in ...

You're right, our offseason moves make more sense now...I think this may give a little insight into what our 1st round pick may be...Probably Merriman if he falls a little, Barron, Ronnie B., Cadillac, or Benson, but then again, it's always smoke and mirrors with Charley...I would've liked to get his opinion on some of the CBs, too...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
. . it's always smoke and mirrors with Charley...I would've liked to get his opinion on some of the CBs, too...
Yeah, I think he invented smoke and mirrors.

And yes, it would have interesting to hear how much he has "studied" the CBs as well, much less the linebackers. I know he wouldn't have publicly rated them, but it would have been interested to hear his view on the differences.
Old 03-17-2005   #7
Rosusu
All Pro

Thanks a lot for posting that, it is great to get recaps.

I think it is very interesting that he has been studying the RBs so much, I dont think I would be happy with us taking a RB int he first round.
Old 03-17-2005   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Marcus, thanks for the recap. Did he say anything more than what you summarized about the RB's that made you think he had really been studying them? The quotes you have there could be gleened from 5 minutes of internet draft site review.
Old 03-17-2005   #9
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I would just like to note that it was wonderful to see CC stating Joppru will contribute this year.
Old 03-17-2005   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Marcus, thanks for the recap. Did he say anything more than what you summarized about the RB's that made you think he had really been studying them? The quotes you have there could be gleened from 5 minutes of internet draft site review.
Not anything that I can remember. I was driving on the freeway at the time, so I couldn't take notes. (I wish there was a TIVO type record function on my radio for these sort of things) But the thing that struck me, was that he was first asked his impressions of the quarterbacks, and he wouldn't give them because "I haven't studied them, because we're not taking a QB high in the draft".

But when the subject of running backs came up, he went into this long speil about their differences. Which indicates to me that he's been 'studying' them, and if he's doing that, then he's got his scouts looking at them, so . . .

EDIT: Now, I do remember something. he noted that both Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams both ran 4.4s in the 40 at the combine, for which he said, "That's unheard of."

Last edited by Marcus; 03-17-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #11
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for taking the time to post a recap of the interview Marcus. I still think CC will draft a cb and then possibly move up for another "tweener" or DL. Just like last year.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
But when the subject of running backs came up, he went into this long speil about their differences. Which indicates to me that he's been 'studying' them, and if he's doing that, then he's got his scouts looking at them, so . . .
Thatís no real surprise in my eyes. We are a running team and really need to add another RB. If the right guy falls to us at 13 it may shock some (if we took him), it would not shock me. I still think we likley take a back in the 3rd though. All 3 of the top guys are likely gone.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Question:

If Benson, Cadillac, or Ronnie Brown fell to us at 13, do you think we would take them?

Edit - Vinny answered my question as I asked it.

I think we would jump all over any of these three. I think one of them might fall to us.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #14
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I think one of the three is going to fall, simply because there isn't that much of a demand for RBs at the top of the draft...Miami will take one, Tampa might, and the Cards might...If either Tampa or Arizona doesn't draft a RB, it is likely one of the three will still be on the board at 13, and I think it will probably be Benson...He doesn't seem to fit into Tampa's or Arizona's scheme as much as Ronnie and Cadillac do...If Miami doesn't take Benson at 2, he could easily slide to 13...If I'm the Texans, I take him in a heartbeat...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
All 3 of the top guys are likely gone.
That's what I think, too. But you never know about these drafts. I would say off-hand, that if one them is still available at #13, it would be Cadillac Williams. We could do worse.
Old 03-17-2005   #16
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Question:

If Benson, Cadillac, or Ronnie Brown fell to us at 13, do you think we would take them?

Edit - Vinny answered my question as I asked it.

I think we would jump all over any of these three. I think one of them might fall to us.

Without a doubt. They would easily be the best players left on the board.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #17
Rosusu
All Pro

The problem I have with taking a RB early is that we have more pressing needs than a RB. We have a guy that has rushed for over 1000 the last two seasons and doesnt look like he is slowing down at all. If we can get our line playing at a decent level there is no telling what he will be able to do. We also have capable backups that filled in nicely when Dom went down last year. I think we need to look at defense in the first round.
Old 03-17-2005   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosusu
I think we need to look at defense in the first round.
Casserly might very well agree with you. He IS making linebacker moves, and got rid of Foreman and has Sharper hanging in the wind. I wouldn't put it past him to talk up the RBs just to try to get other players to fall to him, like Shawn Merriman or Pollard, for instance.
Old 03-17-2005   #19
LBblitz
Veteran

I know this will not happen...but if benson and DJ are still available at #13 who should we pick. IMO DJ would contribute more to the D than benson would to the O.
LBblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #20
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBblitz
I know this will not happen...but if benson and DJ are still available at #13 who should we pick
DJ definitely...He's (arguably) the best player in the draft...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read