Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Battles for Roster Spots: post week one of preseason

Based on our multiple DVR viewings of the Arizona game, our training camp attendance and information gathered from the Chronicle and fellow bloggers at camp, along with Kubes' pressers, we have compiled a list of "on the bubble" guys and discuss how the Arizona game helped or hurt their opportunity to make the opening day roster:

Texans Bull Blog
Old 08-17-2010   #2
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Battles for Roster Spots: post week one of preseason

Where does Earl Mitchell fit in?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #3
Grforces
Veteran

Section: anywhere and everywhere
Rep Power: 67 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected

While Booty din't play great, I think he will be giving Dan-O a run for the 2nd spot. While Booty din't look fantastic, I think he did a better job with the ball, especially considering Dan-O has been with the team since last year, and has been getting reps with the second team.
Grforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #4
newtexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 48 newtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

E. Mitchell is a lock, players mentioned above are considered on the bubble .
newtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtexan View Post
E. Mitchell is a lock, players mentioned above are considered on the bubble .
what he said.
Old 08-17-2010   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Shelley Smith- I thought he performed very well in the second half. He was about the only offensive bright spot in the second half. Kubiak voluntarily praised him in the press conference on Sunday when answering an unrelated question. He outperformed Chris White significantly and may see more action with the second team this weekend. Watch to see if he enters the game before White this week.

Wasnt he the guy that basically left the DT unblocked for a clean sack on Booty the last play? #71 right? I recall at least 2 plays where he looked like a 6th round pick from Colorado State. And its not like he was playing starters or anything. To me this guy will need to step up or he will be PS material.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Shelley Smith- I thought he performed very well in the second half. He was about the only offensive bright spot in the second half. Kubiak voluntarily praised him in the press conference on Sunday when answering an unrelated question. He outperformed Chris White significantly and may see more action with the second team this weekend. Watch to see if he enters the game before White this week.

Wasnt he the guy that basically left the DT unblocked for a clean sack on Booty the last play? #71 right? I recall at least 2 plays where he looked like a 6th round pick from Colorado State. And its not like he was playing starters or anything. To me this guy will need to step up or he will be PS material.
I don't think so.. He was playing LG (#71)on that play. My DVR didn't record the last play. However, my memory is that Chris Henry failed to pickup the blitz. I can't imagine anyone would be unimpressed with his performance.
Old 08-17-2010   #8
sportfan73
Rookie

Rep Power: 136 sportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respected

attrition, not atrician

thanks for the write-up!
sportfan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan73 View Post
attrition, not atrician

thanks for the write-up!

LOL! thanks. Funny what happens to the mind in the middle of the night.
Old 08-17-2010   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

No.

The problem with the last play was Chris Henry and JDB. It was a blitzer that Chris Henry was supposed to pick up. Chris Henry couldn't get around JDB to get to the blitzer. I'm not sure if the screw up there is Henry or Booty but it wasn't Smith.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #11
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

If that was Henry's guy, obviously he didnt' get him. From the highlight I'm watching, I could see a case where Maneri(#68) picks up the inside blitzer that sacked JDB, and Henry gets the outside guy. Ehh nevermind, just looks like Henry couldnt get around JDB as mentioned above.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
If that was Henry's guy, obviously he didnt' get him. From the highlight I'm watching, I could see a case where Maneri(#68) picks up the inside blitzer that sacked JDB, and Henry gets the outside guy. Ehh nevermind, just looks like Henry couldnt get around JDB as mentioned above.
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what the assignments were but from where people were trying to go, that blitzer looked like he was Henry's man. Now... how the hell Henry was supposed to get to him without going through JDB, I don't know. We saw something similar with Slaton and Schaub last year where Schaub when to throw a pass but Slaton had to go through him to get to the blitzer up the middle.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what the assignments were but from where people were trying to go, that blitzer looked like he was Henry's man. Now... how the hell Henry was supposed to get to him without going through JDB, I don't know. We saw something similar with Slaton and Schaub last year where Schaub when to throw a pass but Slaton had to go through him to get to the blitzer up the middle.
Henry would've been assigned to the B gap, while everyone else had their man. I think the gap opened and the blitzer closed in so quickly that Henry just didn't react fast enough. I'm sure he'll be watching that tape 70+ times.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
No.

The problem with the last play was Chris Henry and JDB. It was a blitzer that Chris Henry was supposed to pick up. Chris Henry couldn't get around JDB to get to the blitzer. I'm not sure if the screw up there is Henry or Booty but it wasn't Smith.
I put the blame on JDB. I would have thought once he saw AZ packing the LoS with blitzers, he could have at least audibled into the shotgun formation to give himself another step or two away from the rush. JDB backpeddled right into Henry. JDB backed into that blitz in a manner that would have made HWSNBM very proud.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice write up, keying on the right guys and everything. For the OL I don't think Chris Yellow makes it. If SSmith keeps up he may even get his own spot.

Adibi is looking more and more like a guy who can't get on the field. Sucks but I'll take Bing.

Bennett's done.

Dickerson is a lock in my mind. Dude was a beast and he'll be a physical force on special teams....so will Chris Henry. They'll find a way to get the most out of that insane physicality.

Holliday...Imo will make the roster BUT he has to be lights out the next 3 games as a return man. No fumbles, no mistakes. Just catch it, get what is there and move on.

Nading, I just can't figure out what it is about the guy the coaches like. Jamison...I'll have to watch out more for but if I had to pick between them I'd pick Sheppard.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Nice write up, keying on the right guys and everything. For the OL I don't think Chris Yellow makes it. If SSmith keeps up he may even get his own spot.

Adibi is looking more and more like a guy who can't get on the field. Sucks but I'll take Bing.

Bennett's done.

Dickerson is a lock in my mind. Dude was a beast and he'll be a physical force on special teams....so will Chris Henry. They'll find a way to get the most out of that insane physicality.

Holliday...Imo will make the roster BUT he has to be lights out the next 3 games as a return man. No fumbles, no mistakes. Just catch it, get what is there and move on.

Nading, I just can't figure out what it is about the guy the coaches like. Jamison...I'll have to watch out more for but if I had to pick between them I'd pick Sheppard.
If you key on Jamison, you will like what you see. He may lack elite ability but he consistently wins his one on one battles.

A guy that I didn't say enough about was Steve Maneri. It was the 4th quarter and he was blocking guys that won't make most NFL rosters this year, but he looked amazing... especially considering it was his first game at tackle: #68-keep an eye on him in the second half this weekend.
Old 08-18-2010   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If you key on Jamison, you will like what you see. He may lack elite ability but he consistently wins his one on one battles.

A guy that I didn't say enough about was Steve Maneri. It was the 4th quarter and he was blocking guys that won't make most NFL rosters this year, but he looked amazing... especially considering it was his first game at tackle: #68-keep an eye on him in the second half this weekend.
I really liked Maneri coming out. In a thread a while back, a couple of us picked 5 UDFAs that may make the roster (in a sort of game) and Maneri was either my first or second pick. He becomes especially valuable, because they can make him tackle eligible in the red zone due to his background.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grforces View Post
While Booty din't play great, I think he will be giving Dan-O a run for the 2nd spot. While Booty din't look fantastic, I think he did a better job with the ball, especially considering Dan-O has been with the team since last year, and has been getting reps with the second team.
Booty has a pop gun for an arm. I didn't realize how weak it was. I don't think he has a great shot.
Old 08-18-2010   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Rep to you Dale and I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. Great read. Thanks man.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read