Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2010   #1
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 62290 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Defense

Well, unfortunately my mother-in-law passed away at 4:30am Saturday morning, so I wasn't in a great position to see the game Saturday night. I did find a TV at the start of the second half, so I saw some of the game action. They showed a couple of 1st half highlights, including Mario going through somebody for the sack. Didn't get to see anything else of the starters though, so if someone could elaborate on what they saw it would be great.

What I saw in the second half was a physical presence that Texans fans generally weren't accustomed to seeing before the 4th game of last year. Troy Nolan did his best BP imitation on someone. I believe it was Molden I saw stick somebody good. Overall just a more physical performance from the defense.

I've gone back and looked at anything I could find from early last season. When the defense was getting ripped, not only were guys out of place, they just seemed soft. It was common to see opposing players run straight through attempted arm tackles. Then something happened. Our defense seems to have toughened up around the fourth game. Brian Cushing did not seem as assertive early on. It seems like he just wasn't sure if he should be knocking heads with reckless abandon at the start of the season. Then Bernard pollard showed up, and started knocking the piss out of anyone near him. It seems from that point on, other players have followed him. I saw it from our back-ups Saturday night.

Bing and Sharpton looked good. They were always around the ball, especially Sharpton. That is the "football smarts" that can't be judged by stop watches or tape measures.

Bennett is horrible. I remember hearing him on ESPN 97.5 a few years ago with Dunta and thinking "Man is guy that guy dumb." No football smarts what so ever. Hell I can take my slow, out of shape, 40 year old white ass out there and get beat down field as good as he can. He takes bad angles, never seems to be in position, and has no nose for the ball. I would just trip my guy coming off the line, the penalty isn't as bad that way.

I didn't get to see much of the D-line, so give me feedback on how we did there.
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #2
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Defense

I am sorry to hear of the passing of your mother in law..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The 1st team defense looked good. The secondary with Wilson back looked solid. Nolan was the best looking young S and Molden impressed me with his coverage and physicality.

Schaub and AJ were Schaub and AJ. I was truly impressed by the improvement Foster displayed.

Overall the Texans 1st team kicked the crap out of the Cards 1st team.

Sorry to hear about your mother in law.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #4
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 62290 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
I am sorry to hear of the passing of your mother in law..
Thanks hobie...
Old 08-16-2010   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
Well, unfortunately my mother-in-law passed away at 4:30am Saturday morning, so I wasn't in a great position to see the game Saturday night. I did find a TV at the start of the second half, so I saw some of the game action. They showed a couple of 1st half highlights, including Mario going through somebody for the sack. Didn't get to see anything else of the starters though, so if someone could elaborate on what they saw it would be great.

What I saw in the second half was a physical presence that Texans fans generally weren't accustomed to seeing before the 4th game of last year. Troy Nolan did his best BP imitation on someone. I believe it was Molden I saw stick somebody good. Overall just a more physical performance from the defense.

I've gone back and looked at anything I could find from early last season. When the defense was getting ripped, not only were guys out of place, they just seemed soft. It was common to see opposing players run straight through attempted arm tackles. Then something happened. Our defense seems to have toughened up around the fourth game. Brian Cushing did not seem as assertive early on. It seems like he just wasn't sure if he should be knocking heads with reckless abandon at the start of the season. Then Bernard pollard showed up, and started knocking the piss out of anyone near him. It seems from that point on, other players have followed him. I saw it from our back-ups Saturday night.

Bing and Sharpton looked good. They were always around the ball, especially Sharpton. That is the "football smarts" that can't be judged by stop watches or tape measures.

Bennett is horrible. I remember hearing him on ESPN 97.5 a few years ago with Dunta and thinking "Man is guy that guy dumb." No football smarts what so ever. Hell I can take my slow, out of shape, 40 year old white ass out there and get beat down field as good as he can. He takes bad angles, never seems to be in position, and has no nose for the ball. I would just trip my guy coming off the line, the penalty isn't as bad that way.

I didn't get to see much of the D-line, so give me feedback on how we did there.

I kind of saw it differently as far as Cushing was concerned. He looked like the same guy from last year which was great to see from my perspective. he was the guy who caused the fumble by hightower that we didn't recover in the 1st quarter.

For all the hype about earl mitchell i didn't see too much to be excited about. he definitely has moves & speed but alot of the times i thought the O-lineman just pushed him where he wanted to go...
For all the
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #6
Pollardized
Division Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The 1st team defense looked good. The secondary with Wilson back looked solid. Nolan was the best looking young S and Molden impressed me with his coverage and physicality.

Schaub and AJ were Schaub and AJ. I was truly impressed by the improvement Foster displayed.

Overall the Texans 1st team kicked the crap out of the Cards 1st team.
I think with Wilson, BP and Nolan, we have a good group of safeties. I hope Molden can stay healthy and continue to improve. It would be incredible if these young DB's continue to improve and become a strenght after all the turmoil we've had with injuries and assholeness (pay me Rick).
Old 08-16-2010   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry to hear about that, man.

The 1's looked AMAZING. First play of the game, the Cardinal running back broke into the open field and Pollard flew up like a freight train and shut him down. Then the next play, Cush flew into the backfield so fast, the RB dropped the ball out of sheer terror. And then on the next play, Mario absolutely rag dolled their right tackle on the way to his sack... and that was playing with 3 down lineman. Amobi was even getting penetration.

Our 2's looked great. Troy Nolan looks like he's going to be pushing Wilson for the FS spot. Bing and Sharpton looked like monsters. The d-line looked good with Jamison bringing some heat although he got called on a crappy roughing the passer call. I thought Sheppard and Mitchell looked OK but not great. McMannis had a good game. McCain played good.

Bennett sucked but one of the plays where he looked bad was really on the UDFA Torri Williams didn't get over and give him support in time. Bennett also had a questionable PI call but... whatever. He also broke up a 2 point conversion but it's too late at that point.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2010   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I kind of saw it differently as far as Cushing was concerned. He looked like the same guy from last year which was great to see from my perspective. he was the guy who caused the fumble by hightower that we didn't recover in the 1st quarter.

For all the hype about earl mitchell i didn't see too much to be excited about. he definitely has moves & speed but alot of the times i thought the O-lineman just pushed him where he wanted to go...
For all the
I think he was talking about Cushing last year pre-pollard...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #9
Pollardized
Division Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

For all the
No I wasn't saying Cushing wasn't great last year. He just didn't seem to have the aggressiveness until Pollard showed up. He was a beast after that. Check out the first part of this video. Seems like BP was able to get Cush to be the animal on the field people thought he could be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYgl5NnpdAs
Old 08-16-2010   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I am sorry to hear that news.

Pollard absolutely WRECKED Tim Hightower. The play started to go wide around the right side of the Cards' offensive line, a Cards WR tried to block our CB (I think it was McCain) but our CB grabbed the WR around the shoulder pads and started pushing him in such a way that it forced Hightower to abandon trying to get to the very outside edge (denied Hightower the sideline, in other words).

While that was happening, you could see from the top right-hand corner of the screen, #31 already starting to sprint up the field. Because the CB forced Hightower back inside a bit, Pollard read it and Hightower tries to juke but Pollard keeps his feet square and shuffles WITH Hightower's juke move...and then BAM! sticks Hightower and plants him into the ground.

It was a beautiful, beautiful teamwork play. In the past, our CB would have allowed himself to get blocked in such a way that the RB could go anywhere he wanted. This time, though, you could see that the CB knows if he can force that RB back inside to the middle of the field that Pollard or any other LB or S is going to come up and nail the guy.

I want to try and post a .gif of that play if I can. Really busy, so it will take a day or two. Also want to show a .gif of Barwin's spin move.

This was the first time I remember watching a Texans preseason Game 1 and thinking "Wow, we look ready to go out there. Awesome!" All the times before, it was like "Well, let's hope they use the rest of the preseason to get the rust off." No rust. None. Nowhere. Maybe this team is ready now.
Old 08-16-2010   #11
Pollardized
Division Champ

I saw one play where Barwin spun completely around his blocker and got there as the ball was thrown. I remember thinking that he looked super quick. Barwin has the potential to be a beast, if he can bring it all together.

I'd love to see that play by BP.
Old 08-16-2010   #12
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait to see the game tomorrow. NFLTV is not broadcasting the game until 2 a.m. Tuesday. DVR set...

Thanks for all the info on what to look for.

Sorry to hear about your loss Pollardized.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Sorry to hear about that, man.

The 1's looked AMAZING. First play of the game, the Cardinal running back broke into the open field and Pollard flew up like a freight train and shut him down. Then the next play, Cush flew into the backfield so fast, the RB dropped the ball out of sheer terror. And then on the next play, Mario absolutely rag dolled their right tackle on the way to his sack... and that was playing with 3 down lineman. Amobi was even getting penetration.

Our 2's looked great. Troy Nolan looks like he's going to be pushing Wilson for the FS spot. Bing and Sharpton looked like monsters. The d-line looked good with Jamison bringing some heat although he got called on a crappy roughing the passer call. I thought Sheppard and Mitchell looked OK but not great. McMannis had a good game. McCain played good.

Bennett sucked but one of the plays where he looked bad was really on the UDFA Torri Williams didn't get over and give him support in time. Bennett also had a questionable PI call but... whatever. He also broke up a 2 point conversion but it's too late at that point.
I agree with this assessment but missed on seeing Okoye do anything.

Pollardized, I'm sorry for the death of your mother in law but hope your wife does not read your comment.
Old 08-16-2010   #14
Pollardized
Division Champ

She understands my Texan love. We gathered at her mom's apartment Saturday night in Temple. I honestly thought the game wasn't on TV there, so I just mingled with everyone. Someone turned her small TV on, I flipped the channel, and there Kubes talking about the first half. My wife would not have been surprised had I known the game was on and been watching the whole time. We were awoken at 4:30 that morning with the dreaded call from the hospital. I had just left her bedside and gone back to the hotel at 3:30. Barely gone to sleep, maybe 30 minutes then the call. So although I saw some of the second half, my mind wasn't working well so I may not remember details very well!
Old 08-16-2010   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry to hear about your loss, I hope the rest of the family is doing well.

BP looked like the enforcer we came to know last year, I know it's pre-season and all, but man did we look ready to go!
Old 08-16-2010   #16
Grforces
Veteran

Section: anywhere and everywhere
Rep Power: 67 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected

Our safties played great. Pollard of course is a beast. He hit hightower so hard I swear my house shook. I was suprised with Nolan, he made a couple of good plays.
Cushing looked great and Nothing I dint expect from him. I din't really get a chance to see what our D-line did except for the Mario sacks, but im also waiting to DVR the game on Tuesday.
Also I know this is defensive thread but Our 2nd team O-Line made some great blocks, I was very suprised. Now I expect good things from the O-Line this year.

Sorry for your loss
Grforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
She understands my Texan love. We gathered at her mom's apartment Saturday night in Temple. I honestly thought the game wasn't on TV there, so I just mingled with everyone. Someone turned her small TV on, I flipped the channel, and there Kubes talking about the first half. My wife would not have been surprised had I known the game was on and been watching the whole time. We were awoken at 4:30 that morning with the dreaded call from the hospital. I had just left her bedside and gone back to the hotel at 3:30. Barely gone to sleep, maybe 30 minutes then the call. So although I saw some of the second half, my mind wasn't working well so I may not remember details very well!
my sincere condolences, you are a true Texan fan

1st team unit impressive, still need more pressure up the middle, the corners seem solid with Mario & Antonio, sprinkle in a little Barwin. other than McCain & Quinn didn't see much from anyone expect McManis later in game. the safeties are much improved with Pollard/Wilson combo & Nolan coming back from last years IR to dominate. Linebacking is the core strength of this defense, I don't feel Diles is the 3rd best LB however, its Sharpton, dude is a monster gap plugger in the middle, very singletary like. I think the Texans could easily start him out & MLB while Cushing serves suspension, & let DeMeco tutor him while filling Cushings role. assess how he does first four games then make the neccessary adjustments.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #18
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Molden did a good job as the 1st nickel. The guy has such raw
ability, and I hope he puts it together this season.
Old 08-16-2010   #19
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I have never been so excited about a Houston defense as I was after seeing that game.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read