Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-16-2010   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Tim Tebow

Did anyone see him play last night? He played four series going eight for thirteen with one rushing touchdown. Also, just one sack. Not jaw dropping of course but he looked cozey for the most part and made some on target throws. He looked like he seemes to be picking up the play book nicely. Overall I'd give a B - with room to improve but that is the case with all rookies in sports. What are your thoughts on Tim Tebow? It might be too early to tell at this point he might get better or he might only time will tell.
Old 08-16-2010   #2
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tim Tebow

I saw some of it, and I was very impressed. Considering it was his rookie debut in the NFL, I would give Tebow's performance an A-. He was playing with the Bronco's third and fourth team guys around him.

It should be noted that Tebow scored almost single-handedly on the last play of the game by steam-rolling two guys at the goal line in an open field run. In fact, this was probably the most exciting play I have seen in preseason so far.

He played a lot better than Brady Quinn, that is for sure. In fact, here is a blog entry at ESPN advocating that Tebow be promoted ahead of Quinn immediately based on this showing:

Quote:
Time to promote Tebow, demote Quinn

It’s time for the Denver Broncos to promote Tim Tebow to their No. 2 quarterback, if only to keep him upright. The Broncos have way too much invested in Tebow for him to being playing behind a third-string offensive line any longer. Plus, the current No. 2 quarterback, Brady Quinn, showed nothing in Sunday night's 33-24 loss in Cincinnati to prove he deserves to be a backup NFL quarterback.

Let’s face it: Tebow is the future in Denver. Quinn is not. Move the kid up. Tebow was fairly solid in his NFL preseason debut. He completed 8 of 13 passes for 105 yards, but he was harassed all night. It’s clear Tebow must get used to the speed of the NFL game. Even in the speedy SEC, the former Florida star didn’t face anything like this. He also must work on protecting the ball. Still, Tebow showed his patented gutsy running on a 7-yard touchdown run on the final play of the game.

It’s time for Tebow to play more in the preseason and that can be done if he is made the No. 2 quarterback. Denver is going to use Tebow in special packages during the regular season anyway, so he might as well get backup repetitions now. Tebow threw the ball well a few times and was let down by receiver Matthew Willis early. After throwing a perfect strike, Tebow, who entered the game late in the third quarter and stayed for the rest of the game, saw Willis drop the ball. Late in the game, he threw a nice pass to set up his scoring run. Like all rookie quarterbacks, Tebow has a lot of work to do, but there is promise.

Quinn didn’t show any promise. He bumbled his way through his performance as he completed just 6 of 16 pass attempts for 68 yards. He also threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown. Quinn looked completely lost, more like an emergency quarterback.

The Broncos must make that status official this week and give Tebow more playing time Saturday against Detroit in his home debut.
Personally, I agree. I never thought Brady Quinn was all that anyway. If he had not played at Notre Dame, he would never have received the accolades that he did. On the other hand, Tim Tebow looks like a budding star in this league.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

How would he have done with the first team?
Old 08-16-2010   #4
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
How would he have done with the first team?
It is not likely to happen this season, unless Kyle Orton goes down. But it is probably just a matter of time before Tebow takes the job over and we get to find out.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
It is not likely to happen this season, unless Kyle Orton goes down. But it is probably just a matter of time before Tebow takes the job over and we get to find out.
He'll get his next chance to prove his own against the Lions this week.
Old 08-16-2010   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

It seemed like nearly all of his yards came on dump offs against a third string defense so I wouldn't get overly excited yet.

But he did make nice back to back throws down the right sideline to move Denver up the field as time was running down. And his TD was money. Took it down and just trucked the CB on his way into the endzone.

I'm admittedly not one of the guys who thinks that Tebow's best position in the NFL is QB, but I definitely saw some things he can build on. I would promote him over Quinn and he how he does against the twos.
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

I did see a deep pass which was completed but I don't remember the exact play though I say at least give more time. Another one was on target but dropped down the field.
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2010   #8
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

His throwing style looks a bit slower but he is able to put a nice spin on the ball and hit his intended target. Not bad for his first NFL game as I think using him in a shotgun formation and maybe doing some option plays would make the Broncos O very unique and versatile.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

There were some deep passes I recall which were dropped by the WR.
Old 08-16-2010   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't see much of Tebow in college, so watching him last night I gotta say my impression was very positive. Actually I did see him earlier this year in the Senior Bowl and his progress in just the 6 months or so since then is remarkable. The guy is fun to watch, definitely talented, and obviously a tremendous competitor.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

The one postive is he has room to grow where on the other hand Kyle has pretty much reached his peek not that it's bad or anything JMO.
Old 08-16-2010   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There were some deep passes I recall which were dropped by the WR.
He threw deep twice. One was right on target and the WR just flatout dropped it. The other was overthrown by five yards and hit the CB right in the hands, but he dropped the INT.
Old 08-16-2010   #13
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary, just curious, you're obviously a Tebow fan ? Would you have liked the Texans to have taken a run at Tebow ? Schaub is now an established, successful NFL starter here in Houston but he will be 30 next year and maybe grooming a successor for the future would be something to consider ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
He threw deep twice. One was right on target and the WR just flatout dropped it. The other was overthrown by five yards and hit the CB right in the hands, but he dropped the INT.
Ok, still alright for his very first game I don't have the NFLN so only saw the highlights not the game.
Old 08-16-2010   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Gary, just curious, you're obviously a Tebow fan ? Would you have liked the Texans to have taken a run at Tebow ? Schaub is now an established, successful NFL starter here in Houston but he will be 30 next year and maybe grooming a successor for the future would be something to consider ?
I would not call me a fan of his just stiring up some chatter. As for drafting him no, in the first round the Texans had bigger holes to fill this year but maybe I'd take a QB in year or two just to prepare JMO.
Old 08-16-2010   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ok, still alright for his very first game I don't have the NFLN so only saw the highlights not the game.
It was defininetly alright for his first game. Better than I expected him to play for sure.

I think he earned the #2 job for next week. See if he can play the same against second stringers instead of third stringers.
Old 08-16-2010   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
It was defininetly alright for his first game. Better than I expected him to play for sure.

I think he earned the #2 job for next week. See if he can play the same against second stringers instead of third stringers.
We shall see he may not ever take the big step. Who knows? It's very early on.
Old 08-16-2010   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

From what i heard about it this morning on 610, that "wind up" throwing motion is still looking mighty slow...not good for an nfl qb
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
His throwing style looks a bit slower but he is able to put a nice spin on the ball and hit his intended target. Not bad for his first NFL game as I think using him in a shotgun formation and maybe doing some option plays would make the Broncos O very unique and versatile.
He should probably be second leaving Brady third or cut but more than likely third.
Old 08-16-2010   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
From what i heard about it this morning on 610, that "wind up" throwing motion is still looking mighty slow...not good for an nfl qb
It's still pretty slow...

It got him into big trouble once. As he was windmilling through his motion he got hit and fumbled. The defense recovered and ran it back for a TD. The play was reviewed and the fumble was ruled an incomplete pass (correct call). But still, it definitely showed why scouts wanted him to change the motion. A great majority of QBs in the NFL would have already had the ball away by the time the hit came.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read