Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2005   #1
jewfish
Rookie

Default Marlon McCree: I would like your opinions

Hey guys, I am a big time Panther fan that resides in Charlotte, NC. Hope you're enjoying Capers as your coach, because he was a good coach here in Charlotte when we first got our franchise. (I don't care what anyone thinks, he really was). Anyhow, the Panthers picked up safety Marlon McCree. I was wondering what you guys think of him, and if he is a starting quality guy or not. Right now we have Colin Branch at safety, and I wasn't sure if McCree was a shoe-in to take over that spot, or if he'll just be a bench warmer. I know this isn't exactly 100% Texans related, so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.
jewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #2
outofhnd
All Pro

Since I have never heard of the other guy,

Marlon should start. Marlon is more a roaming playmaker centerfield type safety than a hitter, but he can lay the wood when called upon.
His open field tackling isnt superb but was a lot better than our prevous starter Matt Stevens.
So I wuld say you are getting a decent cover guy which is more the style of D you guys play.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

McRee is a great young FS. I would say he is above average, but not yet "top tier".. but he has room, and time, to improve.

hes good in coverage, not so great in run support. if you currently have a below average FS.. id say he is probably a shoe in.

He saved our butts here when we got rid of Matt Stevens.. and would have been our starter if we hadnt decided to draft Dunta Robinson. When we drafted him, in an effort to put our best guys on the field.. we made Robinson and Glenn our CBs and moved Coleman to FS.

you got a good FS in him.. he is READY to start.. whether he will or not just depends on what your current situation at FS is.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #4
jewfish
Rookie

Yeah well Colin Branch I would probably give a C+ grade on his performance last year. If that helps at all.
Old 03-17-2005   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

id say McRee is a B so yah he could very well be your starter next season.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

They are both pretty similar. They are both a bit on the small size and both not as physical as you would like ideally. It's a toss up.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #7
JacksonvilleJaguar4
Rookie

I didn't like him that much but that's just me could do a good lob for you guys.
Old 03-17-2005   #8
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

He served his role well, but he's replaceable...He has good hands and is a ball-hawk, but I'm not sure that he has was it takes to be a great starter...
Old 03-17-2005   #9
jewfish
Rookie

Well we don't really need a great FS, we just need a guy who knows the ropes pretty much. We've got Mike Minter, Ken Lucas, Chris Gamble, and Ricky Manning Jr. So, the secondary is actually the best it's been that I can ever remember the Panthers having. I just wanted some opinions. I'm not sure if he's gonna be a good signing, or just one of those guys like Attrell Hawkins..
Old 03-17-2005   #10
outofhnd
All Pro

He should fit Nicely because I think the carolina defensive is more about physical corners and coverage safeties than say a cowboys D that is about headhunters patroling the middle of the field or linebacker type safeties
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

McCree falls into that "just a guy" good enough not embarrass you, but the type of guy you are always looking to replace.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #12
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

mccree is the type of FS that is a smart, and dependable safety...he won't scare anyone with his abilities though...typical blue-collar type safety...he is an upgrade over the guy you have...but only for a few years...i still see ya'll grabbing the eventual FS starter in either this years draft or next years...mccree has good hands and is capable of making those big plays when needed but not on a regular basis like brian dawkins
Old 03-19-2005   #13
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

I think because of Glenn and Coleman and then DRob he never rweally got a chance to show what he could do. I think Capers aminly had him for Special Teams with an eye towards trying him out
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #14
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

You guys picked up a good FS. He's not great, but he's pretty serviceable back there and should be an improvement over Branch. Besides with Lucas, Gamble, Minter, and Manning you've got the makings of a very good secondary.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #15
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Thought I would bring this thread back right quick, especially since McCree just picked off his second pass of the day and has pretty much ended all hopes of a Giants come back.

How did we let this guy go? Yet another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Thought I would bring this thread back right quick, especially since McCree just picked off his second pass of the day and has pretty much ended all hopes of a Giants come back.

How did we let this guy go? Yet another one.
Coaches and Personnel..ahem, cough. I'm sure the same people that evaluate for the draft.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read