Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2010   #1
newtexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 48 newtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How many defensive tackles texans keep ?

CODY,OKAM,OKOYE,MITCHELL, ROBINSON,SHEPPARD.UREIN .. how many do they usually keep ?
newtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How many defensive tackles texans keep ?

I am going to guess around 4. Maybe 5, but since Antoine Smith will play DT on passing situations 4 makes more sense to me.

Okoye
Cody
Mitchell
Robinson

Okam is as good as gone. Huge (not in the good way), not very mobile, and seemingly unmotivated.

Your man-crush Sheppard has a shot, but I dont think he sticks this year.

I really liked Unrein coming out of college, but it does not sound like he is impressing coaches in practice, nor did he look great during the game. So, barring a miracle, he is out.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now I'm not convinced that Okam is gone...He seems to be higher on the depth chart than Robinson
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #4
newtexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 48 newtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respectednewtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually think they keep six this year, Okam stays and Sheppard too interesting not to keep.
Old 08-16-2010   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtexan View Post
I actually think they keep six this year, Okam stays and Sheppard too interesting not to keep.
6? With the bevy of TEs the Texans have? A bunch of talented wide receivers? Incredible depth at linebacker? No way 6 stay.
Old 08-16-2010   #6
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like they keep either DeJuan or Okam just because the rest of the DT corp is so smallish ? And I expect we lose Sheppard who will probably be nabbed by somebody when we try to put him on the PS which I think will put him at risk to the waiver-wire ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Okam hasn't done a whole lot, but Robinson has done less.
Old 08-16-2010   #8
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9715 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they'll keep the four rmartin mentioned and that's it. I think we'll be seeing Smith bumped inside and more Connor Barwin at DE this year, so Smith will be performing the DT function as well.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #9
newtexan
Veteran

Some packages Smith could play DT along side Mitchell, how long do you experiment with Okam because of girth, its obvious Sheppard is more active and explosive than Robinson and Okam and he's only been a Texan a few months, these next few games will help clear the air, looking at the highlights above Sheppard clearly holds his own every play in the early qtrs. against their twos ,remember Okoye's contract is up in a couple of yrs. Texans are looking beyond this season, Sheppards a lock.
Old 08-16-2010   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think 5.

Starter: Okoye - Rotational: Mitchell
Starter: Cody - Rotational: Okam

Third String Robinson.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they'll keep 5:

Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Okam,Sheppard

I could be wrong, but I thought Okam was used a bit in goal line/short yardage packages last year. If the rotation this past saturday meant anything then it looks like Okam is atleast in the top four..
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #12
newtexan
Veteran

The fact that Smith can move to DT on some packages i think opens the door for the Texans to do what i think they really want to do , invest in Sheppard, over-weight DT'S come a dime a dozen in this league, and then they're gassed after a couple of plays, Texans have a good problem on the DT side , too bad for who-ever come up short, but don't be surprised if Sheppard makes it.
Old 08-16-2010   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

13 out of your 19 posts have been about Sheppard. Just curious, do you know the guy?

He was undrafted for a reason. It may have been a deep class, but the fact remains: undrafted. Yes, some UDFAs make rosters, become starters, become stars. But that is the exception rather than the rule. For every Kurt Warner there are 100 guys who are still bagging groceries.
Old 08-16-2010   #14
newtexan
Veteran

Not really, ask some of the cushing posters do they know him, i just followed him thru college, this UDFA THING is waaayyyyyy overused , ryan leaf,no 1- j.russell, no.1- b.bosworth,no.1,.......IT'S NOT ALWAYS THE LEANING TREE THAT FALLS FIRST.
Old 08-16-2010   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtexan View Post
Not really, ask some of the cushing posters do they know him, i just followed him thru college, this UDFA THING is waaayyyyyy overused , ryan leaf,no 1- j.russell, no.1- b.bosworth,no.1,.......IT'S NOT ALWAYS THE LEANING TREE THAT FALLS FIRST.
Really? Thats your argument, that first round picks bust? Of course they do, the draft is not perfect. But pick a random UDFA any given year, and then a first round pick any given year. Who do you think is still in the league 3, 5 10 years later? I would bet on the guy taken in the first.
Old 08-16-2010   #16
newtexan
Veteran

Just my point, THE DRAFT IS NOT PERFECT !!, most great head coaches never played a down in the NFL , there are some things that can't be measured, like HEART,DETERMINATION,DRIVE,MOTIVATION,... and for some players going UNDRAFTED when all the experts say you should have been drafted, they know every day must be 100%, CHRIS LOW of espn says it was a shock that sheppard was'nt drafted, stay tuned you'll see why i posted a lot on the guy nicknamed the wood.
Old 08-16-2010   #17
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

4 probably. Cody, Okoye, Mitchell and ??? Unsure on the 4th.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

How did Mitchell play Saturday?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #19
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

4, Cody, Okoye, Mitchell, Robinson. Sheppard on the PS.

Okam has been exposed for long enough. Hes soft and we have better options, let some other team have a go at him. I could see us looking for a veteran after cuts to replace Deljuan if he doesn't show some more during the rest of the preseason.
Old 08-16-2010   #20
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
How did Mitchell play Saturday?
I thought he showed some nice flashes, Lance Z has a good writeup:

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba.../post_164.html

"I saw very active hands from Earl Mitchell in the first half, but I didn't see much from him in that half in terms of productivity. I did, however, think he played much better in the 2nd half including a sick spin move during a pass rush where he was able to get pressure on the QB. Don't be surprised to see Mitchell get 3rd down snaps with the first unit at times during the season."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read