Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Grading out the Texans interior OLine vs. Arizona

with the help of my Digital Video Recorder, I just completed a fairly comprehensive review of the 1st and 2nd team interior line play from last night (those who know me may be surprised with my grading of Kasey Studdard):

Texans Bull Blog
Old 08-15-2010   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grading out the Texans interior OLine vs. Arizona

What's the first paragraph say? there's an ad I can't get rid of covering it up.
:o/
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #3
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just finished going through the first half of the game via DVR and watching/rewatching the interior line. I used a grading system to track each player. First, I will give you some raw data and then discuss more about the specifics of each performance. I graded the two guards and center each play with a score between +2 and -2. On one play, I couldn’t help but hand out a -3, but more on that later. I weeded out plays like the end around and an unsuccessful screen pass, where the performance of the offensive line was irrelevant. So, here you go:
First Paragraph
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
First Paragraph
thanks
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Good dissection, I just cannot see the guard play from the first stringers as much more than OK. I think the pass pro I'd going to be alright again this year but the interior running game is making me dabble in other psychoactive substances. Substances like bleach.
Old 08-15-2010   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Good writeup. I am excited about Caldwell finally breaking into the starting rotation on the interior OL. I was worried last season that he couldn't get significant PT with all the injuries on the interior, but I am encouraged by his play last night and hopeful moving forward.

He's got the strength we have lacked in the interior to get push in short yardage situations and will help Chris Meyers against the big NTs/DTs that have been a matchup problem for our center.

I think runs to the right side will be money this season with Caldwell and Winston clearing the way!!!
Old 08-15-2010   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Good writeup. I am excited about Caldwell finally breaking into the starting rotation on the interior OL. I was worried last season that he couldn't get significant PT with all the injuries on the interior, but I am encouraged by his play last night and hopeful moving forward.

He's got the strength we have lacked in the interior to get push in short yardage situations and will help Chris Meyers against the big NTs/DTs that have been a matchup problem for our center.

I think runs to the right side will be money this season with Caldwell and Winston clearing the way!!!
Something I didn't mention in the article is that Caldwell pulled to the left in two of the first quarter running plays.. and, I think Studdard pulled a couple times as well. Something to watch as the preseason advances is to pay attention to running game wrinkles and at least some divergence from the zone running plays. I expect there will be a greater variety of running plays this season.
Old 08-15-2010   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Something I didn't mention in the article is that Caldwell pulled to the left in two of the first quarter running plays.. and, I think Studdard pulled a couple times as well. Something to watch as the preseason advances is to pay attention to running game wrinkles and at least some divergence from the zone running plays. I expect there will be a greater variety of running plays this season.
Yeah, that's a good point. To me, the running game looked like it mixed the classic zone stuff with some straight ahead power types of plays. But I haven't really sat down and studied the game that closely.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah, that's a good point. To me, the running game looked like it mixed the classic zone stuff with some straight ahead power types of plays. But I haven't really sat down and studied the game that closely.
We're adding a few different elements to the blocking scheme.
(Or at least, experimenting with things as any team might do).

We were disguising pass blocking for a run and vice versa.
From tackle to tackle!

Give Studdard a break, folks!
They were doing a lot of different stuffs in there.

For example, I like how they line up the Guard(s) back a bit more than usual, before they pull.
Neither Caldwell nor Studdard is exceptionally quick (for a guard in the ZBS).
This allows them to get to the other side quicker.
It doesn't give away the farm, because in the normal ZBS scheme, they can be prepared for a cut block just as well.

They were doing a lot of different stuffs in there...
I like it!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #10
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
What's the first paragraph say? there's an ad I can't get rid of covering it up.
:o/
Obsi, do you use Firefox? If so, you should try getting the AdBlock Plus add-on. Should eliminate the ads covering up the blog plus all others.

Another great write-up, dale. I need to just bookmark the site since the content is always interesting. Keep up the good work.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Give Studdard a break, folks!
They were doing a lot of different stuffs in there.
You gotta admit, though, on the play that was originally called a fumble by AJ, Studdard got pantsed in pass pro. The DL he was going against put a swim move on him that left him grabbing at air. We were lucky that was such a quick pass and we were lucky Schaub was able to get it off because Studdard didn't even slow that guy down.

I'm not saying he didn't have some good plays but that was almost a disaster on his part.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You gotta admit, though, on the play that was originally called a fumble by AJ, Studdard got pantsed in pass pro. The DL he was going against put a swim move on him that left him grabbing at air. We were lucky that was such a quick pass and we were lucky Schaub was able to get it off because Studdard didn't even slow that guy down.

I'm not saying he didn't have some good plays but that was almost a disaster on his part.
Oh, no doubt Studdard could do better.
However, the different spacing between linemen changed with pretty much every play. (And also where the Rb should be).
It's not like something we did all the times and Studdard failed at it.
You try something different, your margin of error grows!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't get a good look at Smith. Glad to see he played well for us.
Old 08-18-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 183943 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Dale, thanks for info as I rated the effort of the ones as a C+ as a group. You evidently saw more than I. I thought Studdard was average at best & the entire line did not move anyone back overall. Myers was Myers and I also do not see Smith beating him out. I thought Caldwell did pretty well but still below what I want to see. I was hoping to see Slaton running to the right behind Caldwell & Winston this season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read