Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2010   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default The Call Which Stood Out

The Texans were flaged last night for a head to head on a defenceless wideout which cost them 15 yards on one play. While I get the point why helmet to helmet calls are strictly enforced I still think it's just a bad rule. Why? Because on that certain type of play there really is not another way to tackle the guy if you saw the play JMO. If this does not belong in this forum then Mods please move. But, what do you think about that call and the rule? I know it's only preseason.
Old 08-15-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43353 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Call Which Stood Out

The announcers were speculating that it was a helmet to helmet hit, but that is not what the ref called. He called the hit on a defenseless receiver. But it was a bs call. You got to be able to tackle the guy.
Old 08-15-2010   #3
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
The announcers were speculating that it was a helmet to helmet hit, but that is not what the ref called. He called the hit on a defenseless receiver. But it was a bs call. You got to be able to tackle the guy.
Exactly, if Andre can have two seasons taking hits like he has without getting a penalty not sure why they feel the need to throw the flag on hits like that.
Old 08-15-2010   #4
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

It looked to me as if that was about the only way to bring down the guy but I don't know.
Old 08-15-2010   #5
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25709 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

it's pre-season for the refs too... at least that's what i tell myself. refs definitely helped the Cards come back.

also, i understand trying to help protect the players, but NFL has to worry about ruining this game and fans looking elsewhere for good football.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

I that rule/call should be looked into.
Old 08-15-2010   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The worst call was the one Kubes made not letting Rackers try a 51 yd game winning FG. That is the exact type of situation you look for in the K battle. Kubes blew it. IMHO

Looks like we are going to have the pleasure of watching the suckitude that is K.Brown for another year.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2010   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak didn't blow anything last night. I agree with John McClain on this subject. Overtime in preseason should be outlawed. Who cares about the final score, I'd rather leave the field with as many players healthy as possible.

On the bullshit call I just don't care. You're going to get them all season long and there's nothing that can be done about it and no way to put a stop to it. Everybody gets bullshit calls. They're part of the game. The way to transcend the affects of a bullshit call is to not let it affect your play. The Texans seem to be getting to that point which is nice to see after so many years of watching a bad call throw them completely out of their rhythm.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #9
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 27237 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The Texans were flaged last night for a head to head on a defenceless wideout which cost them 15 yards on one play. While I get the point why helmet to helmet calls are strictly enforced I still think it's just a bad rule. Why? Because on that certain type of play there really is not another way to tackle the guy if you saw the play JMO. If this does not belong in this forum then Mods please move. But, what do you think about that call and the rule? I know it's only preseason.
I thought the flag was for delay of game because the punk WR spiked the ball. Where was the flag on that?
Old 08-15-2010   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Yhea, everyone gets bad calls but in the NFL or in any sport for that matter there is always room for bad calls to be cut down on by a great margin JMO.
Old 08-15-2010   #11
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The worst call was the one Kubes made not letting Rackers try a 51 yd game winning FG. That is the exact type of situation you look for in the K battle. Kubes blew it. IMHO

Looks like we are going to have the pleasure of watching the suckitude that is K.Brown for another year.
Actually you blew it, you do not kick game tying FGs to send a pre-season game into overtime. I swear some of you have no freaking clue as to what pre-season is all about...

Any coach that kicks a gm tying FG to go into overtime, is freaking moron but fans that think they should have kicked a gm tying FG to send it to overtime are even bigger ones....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

It was kind of a meh call at the end IMO.
Old 08-15-2010   #13
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was kind of a meh call at the end IMO.
I was just hoping nobody else got hurt. I wanted them to just take a knee and get the hell out of AZ

Old 08-15-2010   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I was just hoping nobody else got hurt. I wanted them to just take a knee and get the hell out of AZ
Me too.
Old 08-15-2010   #15
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Actually you blew it, you do not kick game tying FGs to send a pre-season game into overtime. I swear some of you have no freaking clue as to what pre-season is all about...

Any coach that kicks a gm tying FG to go into overtime, is freaking moron but fans that think they should have kicked a gm tying FG to send it to overtime are even bigger ones....
I would have liked him to do it only so that we could see how Rackers did.
They are supposed to be competing for a kicking job during the preseason also.

I'm not a fan of overtime in preseason either but I would have liked to see how he did in a "high pressure" situation. And again I know it's only preseason so not that much pressure.

But I guess the same could be said about Booty...
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Perhaps there should not even be OT in the preseason.
Old 08-15-2010   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

I've largely been supportive of your critiques in the past, but this one is way out in left field.

We're finally in a spot where we don't have to let emotions dictate what our players do out there in a preseason game. In the past, we would have been as desperate as the Cardinals were last night. We looked like the prepared, overly-talented team and they looked like garbage.

Kubiak might decide that he doesn't want those two kickers getting those kind of shots right now. Maybe he wants to wait until another game and run three straight HB dive plays around the 30-yard line to set up Rackers, then do the same thing for Brown in another game? Have you ever allowed yourself to think that Kubiak just might find a different place and time to evaluate them on an apples-to-apples basis?

If he had put Rackers out there and he misses it...what does that do to the whole week this week? Does it make Rackers feel like he blew his shot? Does he over-inflate Brown's ego this week, and he gets lazy and starts shanking kicks again? Maybe there is a better time and place to get their high-noon shoot-out on?

I mean, I don't know if this is the case or not. I am just speculating, same as you. I was very pleased with what I saw last night. VERY pleased.
Old 08-15-2010   #18
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25709 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I've largely been supportive of your critiques in the past, but this one is way out in left field.

We're finally in a spot where we don't have to let emotions dictate what our players do out there in a preseason game. In the past, we would have been as desperate as the Cardinals were last night. We looked like the prepared, overly-talented team and they looked like garbage.

Kubiak might decide that he doesn't want those two kickers getting those kind of shots right now. Maybe he wants to wait until another game and run three straight HB dive plays around the 30-yard line to set up Rackers, then do the same thing for Brown in another game? Have you ever allowed yourself to think that Kubiak just might find a different place and time to evaluate them on an apples-to-apples basis?

If he had put Rackers out there and he misses it...what does that do to the whole week this week? Does it make Rackers feel like he blew his shot? Does he over-inflate Brown's ego this week, and he gets lazy and starts shanking kicks again? Maybe there is a better time and place to get their high-noon shoot-out on?

I mean, I don't know if this is the case or not. I am just speculating, same as you. I was very pleased with what I saw last night. VERY pleased.
I agree... a 51-yarder is tough enough, even if the game wasn't on the line. Putting him in that tough of a situation wouldn't have helped anyone I think. I liked Kubiak's call... I don't know the play call, but I'm assuming it was a bunch of quick-outs to try to get 10 more yards. Then a 40-yarder with the game on the line is a much better measurement of how well Rackers would do under pressure.

It will be interesting to hear who's fault that last play was? Someone didn't pick up the blitz. Should Booty have recognized it and called him out before the snap? Or was JJ slow to read the blitz and didn't make the block fast enough? Or was there a mis-assignment on the OL?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Once season starts on that play I am kicking it simply because bad stuff happens and you may totally lose the chance to kick.
Old 08-15-2010   #20
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Once season starts on that play I am kicking it simply because bad stuff happens and you may totally lose the chance to kick.
Exactly, had it been when the W's mattered, they kick the ball and go into OT...

I knew I could count on Gary's common football sense....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read