Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-15-2010   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default If you run the Option in the NFL...

What's to stop the other team for laying the wood on the QB? I always thought that was the reason no one ran the option in the NFL. Because it makes your QB fair game, especially if he crosses the LOS. he's just a blocker then.

Even if it's against the rules, and you get penalized... why not take the 15 yards, but make that QB look for you next time he runs that play?
Old 08-15-2010   #2
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If you run the Option in the NFL...

That's what Texas Tech did under Ruffin McNeil's defense, it worked great. Teams might get a couple of extra yards on that 1 play but they never seemed to go back to it. I believe I mentioned it in a post before the 2nd Titans game last year...

I don't think it's against the rules either, as long as it's a clean shot. But I'm sure their is a reason teams don't do it that I'm just not thinking about.
Old 08-15-2010   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I mentioned it in a post before the 2nd Titans game last year...

I don't think it's against the rules either, as long as it's a clean shot. But I'm sure their is a reason teams don't do it that I'm just not thinking about.
That's why I bring it up. I watched a bit of the Titans game, and it looks like it will be a staple of their offense.
Old 08-15-2010   #4
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I assumed that's what got you thinking about it. I would love to see Cush or Pollard just totally disregard the pitch and knock the piss out of VY. Of course you better be sure there is somebody behind you that you trust to make the tackle. Chris Johnson is a pretty dangerous dude.
Old 08-15-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I think part if it is the mindsets that are drilled into the defensive players. When the qb gets rid of the ball it is illegal to hit him. I know it is different when he runs the option and pitches the ball, but adjusting to that will take a while for both the players and refs to adjust to. You know that if someone were to blast Young right after he pitched the ball, there will be a pf penalty called. Rightly so or not.
Old 08-15-2010   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think part if it is the mindsets that are drilled into the defensive players. When the qb gets rid of the ball it is illegal to hit him. I know it is different when he runs the option and pitches the ball, but adjusting to that will take a while for both the players and refs to adjust to. You know that if someone were to blast Young right after he pitched the ball, there will be a pf penalty called. Rightly so or not.
Even still, so what. Even if we give up a touchdown, That will take that out of the game plan for the rest of the day. At the very least, Vince is going to be looking to his right (towards the defender) and not to his left (towards the runner), and he'll mess up the pitch.

I know it isn't smart, but I would take two PF penalties to show them how serious I am about taking him out of the game. They can do what they will with that. If he isn't sliding feet first, whether he has the ball or not, if he is on the wrong side of the LOS, I want him to know I got something for him.
Old 08-15-2010   #7
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
You might be right about a penalty being called unjustly, but I take 15 yards to take the play out of their book. Plus you have a chance of putting their QB on the sidelines for the rest of the game (not injured, just too ashamed to wear his pee pants back into the game)

I really don't think it would be that hard to instill into the defenders mindsets. When we started doing it at TTech, it was an overnight deal. One day it was like "oh snap, he never had any intention of playing the pitch". Then we did it every time after that. Didn't take long for teams to stop running the option.
Old 08-15-2010   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Even still, so what. Even if we give up a touchdown, That will take that out of the game plan for the rest of the day. At the very least, Vince is going to be looking to his right (towards the defender) and not to his left (towards the runner), and he'll mess up the pitch.

I know it isn't smart, but I would take two PF penalties to show them how serious I am about taking him out of the game. They can do what they will with that. If he isn't sliding feet first, whether he has the ball or not, if he is on the wrong side of the LOS, I want him to know I got something for him.
I agree with you, and I don't care which side of the LOS it is on. Hit him hard everytime. But I was talking about why they are not, not why they should not.
Old 08-15-2010   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't watch any of the Titans game, but if they are planning on using that option for a good portion of their offense I see VY getting drilled a lot. Was VY doing any blocking for the RB after he pitched the ball, or was he getting out of the way? If he's trying to block a little bit he's going to get smushed a lot by really big NFL players.

The only thing that bugs me is our defense does not react well to deception plays like that, and it could lead to some embarrassment.
Old 08-15-2010   #10
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

After the pitch Young gets out of the play. If you intentionally go after a player that is out of the play you will get a 15 and if it looks like intent to injure you will most likely be booted from the game. Probably fined and maybe be suspended for a game or two depending on how blatant it was.

If the LB stays in I would not want to blitz the rest of the game if I were him. That is how knees "accidently" get rolled by O-linemen.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
After the pitch Young gets out of the play. If you intentionally go after a player that is out of the play you will get a 15 and if it looks like intent to injure you will most likely be booted from the game. Probably fined and maybe be suspended for a game or two depending on how blatant it was.

If the LB stays in I would not want to blitz the rest of the game if I were him. That is how knees "accidently" get rolled by O-linemen.
That's what I figured. The only hard part about that is since the option stuff is so close to the LOS a defender could come flying in and lay some wood on the QB immediately after a shovel or pitch which might not really draw a penalty flag if there's no way he could stop himself before the ball left the QB's hands.

I think I'll be really surprised if the Titans option is used more than the Dolphins wildcat in 2008 (That's when they started doing that right?). Again though, the option does open VY up to more hits than your standard pocket passing.
Old 08-15-2010   #12
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
That's what I figured. The only hard part about that is since the option stuff is so close to the LOS a defender could come flying in and lay some wood on the QB immediately after a shovel or pitch which might not really draw a penalty flag if there's no way he could stop himself before the ball left the QB's hands.

I think I'll be really surprised if the Titans option is used more than the Dolphins wildcat in 2008 (That's when they started doing that right?). Again though, the option does open VY up to more hits than your standard pocket passing.
I would agree it defiantly opens him up more. He does a very good job of getting the ball out as he draws players in but before they have a chance to really get lined up on him. Then it falls under the defenseless player rule. With the way the NFL protects QBs I could also see the refs being very defensive on the hit too. Young isn't a small guy either. The Titans run the play usually 3 or 4 times a game and have plays that look similar but are designed pass plays that make it harder to read.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #13
THE NFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL

Thunder.. I also watched the Titans game and they didnt run an option play 1 time. I dont know where you get that it is going to be a staple of the offense. VY threw the ball more than they ran it.

The other problems with going after an opposing teams QB is fines and suspensions from the NFL. Goodell will not tolerate it. This is a QB league, period.

The last reason you dont want to get into that mess is Matt Schaub. He would then be the target. If you want your QB hammered go right ahead. Its kinda like throwing at batters in MLB. You can do it, but they are going to hit you or one of your guys. Its a dangerous game. The Texans are done without Matt.

Thunderkyss????? I dont understand the point of this thread. If you cant beat a team straight up, hurt the QB? Really?
THE NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Titans can get away with it due to a few things:

VY is big and can take a good lick
VY ran it some in college and has a good feel for it
Refs are going to protect qb's
Chris Johnson is dangerous. If you focus too much on VY Johnson will eat you alive.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL View Post
Thunder.. I also watched the Titans game and they didnt run an option play 1 time. I dont know where you get that it is going to be a staple of the offense. VY threw the ball more than they ran it.
Not once huh?

Maybe I was dreaming.
Quote:
Thunderkyss????? I dont understand the point of this thread. If you cant beat a team straight up, hurt the QB? Really?
It's not about hurting the QB. There are many, many Option QBs in College, that never get looked at (as a QB) in the pros. I've asked the question, "Why not?" & I'm always told because the option won't work in the NFL, the QB would get killed.

I'm not talking about doing anything illegal, if it's a running play, and he's on the wrong side of the LOS, he is a blocker & fair game. Usually, he doesn't pitch the ball, unless there is someone there getting ready to tackle him. I'm just saying that guy should continue through, and take out the blocker.

& I don't necessarily want to take him out of the game, that's the dude from TxTech (dc_txtech). I just want him to think about Pollard, or Cushing every time he approaches the LOS.

I guarantee you'll see more than once a game in the regular season, especially if they think we're too soft to smack him.
Old 08-15-2010   #16
THE NFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL

Tell when they ran the option... tell me. Which play? VY was in the game 2 series. When did he run an option play. But you said it would be a staple of the offense. Like Schaub to Johnson is a staple of the Texans offense. What did the Titans do lastnite to make you believe the option would be a staple of the Titans offense.

You arent getting the point...There are unwritten rules in Pro Sports. Passed the line of scrimmage or not you dont blow up a QB who isnt involved in the play. You start doing that and people will start getting hurt on your team.
THE NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #17
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

The other problems with going after an opposing teams QB is fines and suspensions from the NFL. Goodell will not tolerate it. This is a QB league, period.

The last reason you dont want to get into that mess is Matt Schaub. He would then be the target. If you want your QB hammered go right ahead. Its kinda like throwing at batters in MLB. You can do it, but they are going to hit you or one of your guys. Its a dangerous game. The Texans are done without Matt.

Nice rep bar, looks like your making friends quickly.

I never said we should put an illegal hit on any QB. When you run a QB option, the QB is then a rusher and is subject to being tackled. Are we supposed to tickle him to the ground if he decides not to pitch it?

My point is that when the LB (or whoever it happens to be) comes to make the play, instead of hesitating to see what the QB is going to do, he goes directly for the QB. If he can put a clean legal hit on the QB before he pitches the ball or as he pitches the ball, then he should hit him as hard as he can. If the QB makes the pitch well before the LB has a chance to hit him, then he then redirects and tries to tackle the RB.
Old 08-15-2010   #18
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tell when they ran the option... tell me. Which play? VY was in the game 2 series. When did he run an option play. But you said it would be a staple of the offense. Like Schaub to Johnson is a staple of the Texans offense. What did the Titans do lastnite to make you believe the option would be a staple of the Titans offense.

You arent getting the point...There are unwritten rules in Pro Sports. Passed the line of scrimmage or not you dont blow up a QB who isnt involved in the play. You start doing that and people will start getting hurt on your team.
No, apparently you aren't getting the point. He's not talking about hitting a defenseless QB; he's talking about blowing VY up before/during/immediately after he makes the pitch if they have the opportunity to do so. That way the next time they run that play VY isn't just thinking about the pitch to CJ, he's thinking about that ass whoopin' he's about to take from Pollard or Cush.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #19
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& I don't necessarily want to take him out of the game, that's the dude from TxTech (dc_txtech). I just want him to think about Pollard, or Cushing every time he approaches the LOS.
I never meant to insinuate that we should purposefully try to take him out of the game. My point was that by running the option they are putting their QB in danger of being hit, and therefore increasing the chance he gets hurt.

With that said, I'm telling my defensive players to knock the hell out of him if they can get a "clean legal hit". And that doesn't go for just QB's, knock the piss out of anybody that you can make a "clean legal hit" on. Would you expect anything less?
Old 08-15-2010   #20
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
No, apparently you aren't getting the point. He's not talking about hitting a defenseless QB; he's talking about blowing VY up before/during/immediately after he makes the pitch if they have the opportunity to do so. That way the next time they run that play VY isn't just thinking about the pitch to CJ, he's thinking about that ass whoopin' he's about to take from Pollard or Cush.
Exactly. If we can get him thinking about the hit he's gonna take then he's going to pitch the ball earlier also, making the option play much less effective.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read