Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-16-2005   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Remembering Mike Munchak

I was surfing the net and ran across a nice scranton times page on the Muncher. Figured I'd post it. He was the most dominant Guard I have ever seen. He was so good he was picked 8th overall in the first round of the 1982 draft...as a Guard.

http://www.scrantontimestribune.com/...ak/munchak.htm

Hall of Fame bio

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #2
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Him and Matthews were the greatest guard combination in the history of the NFL.
Old 03-17-2005   #3
chicagotexan
All Pro

Wheeeww!! For a second I thought he'd passed away. but you're right Mike was a great player. Remember the days of him and Matthews. Those guys were rocks. Thye made me like Olinemen. But not in that way.. not that there's anything wrong with that.
chicagotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I was scared this was a memorial, too! *whew!*

Without Munch and Mathews, the run & shoot would never have put up the numbers it did. Moon was extremely fortunately to have the OL that was the Oilers foundation for their success. It all starts in the trenches.

Great read, thanks Vinny! :
Old 03-17-2005   #5
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Munchak and Matthews:
Old 03-17-2005   #6
Txn_in_FL
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 33753 Txn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respected

Geez, don't use a thread title like that again... scare a guy like that.

I thought he was dead or something.

Awesome player though, him and Matthews really tore it up for us.

Txn_in_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #7
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

Don't freak us out like that Vinny.
But, Yes... he was one of the best.
Old 03-17-2005   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Without Munch and Mathews, the run & shoot would never have put up the numbers it did.
I don't think this is the case at all. The Run and Shoot, with all other factors being the same (QB, WR's) here in Houston would have put those numbers up had Munch and Mathews not been there. The very nature of that offense means that you don't need great run blockers and you aren't holding on to the ball that long.

No, to my mind the amazing thing about Munch and Mathews isn't that the Run and Shoot did so well because of them. It's that they excelled in whatever system you put them in. They both also dominated at whatever position they played. Need to move one to the other side, no problem. Need Bruce to play center, no problem. Those guys were like offensive linemen gods are something.

The year Mathews retired he could have come here and would have been our best lineman that season. That might have been a stretch but he had creepy longevity. Those two should have had rings like Earl should have had a ring. (rings with derricks on them, not flaming meatballs)
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #9
Bayern
Veteran

Remember towards the end of his career when he didn't have any cartilage in his knees left? **** that guy was still stuffing defenders. Then of course he retires and Matthews stays for another 10 years (exaggerating I know).

Too bad Don Maggs sucked so much, Moon would of never been touched with those two holding the fort.

Here's to the Muncher!
Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #10
Bayern
Veteran

No, to my mind the amazing thing about Munch and Mathews isn't that the Run and Shoot did so well because of them. It's that they excelled in whatever system you put them in. They both also dominated at whatever position they played. Need to move one to the other side, no problem. Need Bruce to play center, no problem. Those guys were like offensive linemen gods are something.

I agree! On a side note, for a team that threw the ball 9 times out of 10 our line sure made Lorenzo White and Gary Brown look like studs. I'll go ahead and give that one to Bruce and Mike too.
Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #11
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I always hated the run and shoot because we had hall of Fame linemen. So in my mind we minimized our basic team strength to run a High School offense that had them backpeddling on every play instead of punishing teams with classic mismatches in the trenches. If we ran a conventional offense we would have wore teams down in the 4th instead of keeping the other teams in games.
Very Good point, never looked at it that way.
Old 03-18-2005   #12
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to agree as well. Those two were giants among men. Another name to throw in there is Greg Bingham. Ya know, the Oilers had some pretty darned good players back then.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read