Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Well..........At Least We Look Good in Practice

Quote:
Smith shakes his head now when he thinks back to his freshman season here.

"I got the job in June, so it was at a minicamp, and I was standing out on the field with (owner Bob) McNair, and I said, 'A year from now, we're going to be a better team. Two years from now, we'll be even better. But in three or four years, we'll walk out on this field, and I'll be able show you what an NFL team looks like and how they function,' " Smith said. "I feel like we're that functioning NFL team now. We look like a good football team."

Relax. Looks can't prove to be deceiving until the regular season begins, so aside from injuries don't put too much into what happens in the desert tonight when the Texans play their first preseason game at Arizona.
You can look at this as 1) HOPEFUL, 2) "WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME," 3) "HERE WE GO AGAIN" or 4) "WHAT EXCUSE WILL IT BE THIS YEAR?"

I choose as any good Texans fan #1 HOPEFUL.........but I'm keeping all options open...........which also evidently can make for a good Texans fan.

LINK
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #2
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well..........At Least We Look Good in Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You can look at this as 1) HOPEFUL, 2) "WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME," 3) "HERE WE GO AGAIN" or 4) "WHAT EXCUSE WILL IT BE THIS YEAR?"

I choose as any good Texans fan #1 HOPEFUL.........but I'm keeping all options open...........which also evidently can make for a good Texans fan.

LINK
I'll take #1 and #2! This is our year. Go TEXANS!
Old 08-14-2010   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

LINK
I look at this as confirmation of what a lot of posters on this board has been saying. If Rick is saying he told the boss three or four years since he got here... then I don't believe Kubiak's job was ever in jeopardy last season, I don't care what they've put out to the media since then.

Extending Gary's contract to me, is like saying, "Okay, you got us where you said you would get us. Building a team (and an organization if you think about it). With the new contract, you've got to take that team to the Super Bowl and bring home a trophy."

I know the argument, that teams go from the bottom to the top all the time. While I don't deny that, I think a lot of people forget about what happened in the years prior to that team "making it."

Jim Haslett built a very good talented team, just couldn't get it to go any where.

Denny Green built a very good talented team, just couldn't get it to go anywhere.

Miami was building talent, just had no stability at the HC position.

Atlanta was built very well by Jim Mora, he just let it get out of Control.

Dallas was built very well with Parcells, he just had enough of Big D.

Washington IMHO is the only team I think that has a shot at the play-offs of the bottom 5 teams, because they have been consistently building a good team over the last 4 years. I think the coaching change was premature.

St. Louis has been stockpiling talent, and killing Stephen Jackson, so I can see them doing something, but it seems like they are going back to the drawing board and going in another direction.

Oakland will be a team next year or the year after, if they can keep Cable.
Old 08-14-2010   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I look at this as confirmation of what a lot of posters on this board has been saying. If Rick is saying he told the boss three or four years since he got here... then I don't believe Kubiak's job was ever in jeopardy last season, I don't care what they've put out to the media since then.

Extending Gary's contract to me, is like saying, "Okay, you got us where you said you would get us. Building a team (and an organization if you think about it). With the new contract, you've got to take that team to the Super Bowl and bring home a trophy."

I know the argument, that teams go from the bottom to the top all the time. While I don't deny that, I think a lot of people forget about what happened in the years prior to that team "making it."

Jim Haslett built a very good talented team, just couldn't get it to go any where.

Denny Green built a very good talented team, just couldn't get it to go anywhere.

Washington IMHO is the only team I think that has a shot at the play-offs of the bottom 5 teams, because they have been consistently building a good team over the last 4 years. I think the coaching change was premature.

St. Louis has been stockpiling talent, and killing Stephen Jackson, so I can see them doing something, but it seems like they are going back to the drawing board and going in another direction.

I see what you're saying. We've already had an early experience of a HC (Capers) that had a history of being able to help "build" an organization(Jacksonville) , but couldn't bring the Texans to the "next level." But Kubiak arguably had a higher base to work off of and we are not really sure if we see the "next level" after an even longer reign.
Old 08-14-2010   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 221570 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see what you're saying. We've already had an early experience of a HC (Capers) that had a history of being able to help "build" an organization(Jacksonville) , but couldn't bring the Texans to the "next level." But Kubiak arguably had a higher base to work off of and we are not really sure if we see the "next level" after an even longer reign.
If Kubiak had the 2004 roster when he got here, perhaps I could agree with that statement. But Casserly dumped the leaders from that team and it showed the very next season. So I think he started with a less capable set of players than Capers started with.

Back to topic: Put me down for large order of #1 with a little of #2 on the side.
And as for #4, no excuse short of losing A.J. and Matt Schaub will be acceptable for finishing worse than 9-7.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hope for No.1

Realistically No.4

Smith was towing the company. As he has done the past 2 yrs.

Make the playoffs Smithiak before you guys start patting each other on the backs for a job well done.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #7
Ckw

Quote:
Nothing big, but Capers actually helped "build" Carolina, not Jacksonville.

As for me, I choose option 1. Actually, option 1 should be changed to "Hopeful but skeptical". That is where I fit in.
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2010   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Nothing big, but Capers actually helped "build" Carolina, not Jacksonville.

As for me, I choose option 1. Actually, option 1 should be changed to "Hopeful but skeptical". That is where I fit in.
My bad..........fingers sometimes get ahead of cranial capacity.

"Hopeful but skeptical" describes where I am........definitely a necessary category.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 08-14-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2010   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
People don't like to hear this, or consider this, but Kubiak basically had an expansion team. How many players from that 2005 team he inherited are even in the NFL anymore, much less on the Texans? How many were even in the NFL in 2007, just two years later? Not that many. The '05 team did not have much NFL talent.

That said, Kubiak has cost the team enough wins that his job security ought to at least be up for discussion.
Old 08-14-2010   #10
Ckw

Quote:
My bad..........fingers sometimes get ahead of cranial capacity.
Must spread rep.

No biggie. You were not totally incorrect as Capers was an assistant for Jacksonville for a year or two. He actually came to the Texans from Jacksonville, so that may be why you were thinking it was Jacksonville that he "built".

That being said, and I'm sure you would agree since you had it in quotes, Capers had little to nothing to do with the success of that team. Great moves by the GM are the reason for that. Capers did exactly with Carolina what he did with the Texans. He makes you think the team is getting better and improving, then all of a sudden pulls a 2-14 or 4-12 season out of his butt. Just an abysmal coach. Not a bad coordinator, but a terrible head coach.
Old 08-14-2010   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 221570 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
People don't like to hear this, or consider this, but Kubiak basically had an expansion team. How many players from that 2005 team he inherited are even in the NFL anymore, much less on the Texans? How many were even in the NFL in 2007, just two years later? Not that many. The '05 team did not have much NFL talent.

That said, Kubiak has cost the team enough wins that his job security ought to at least be up for discussion.
Totally agree. The 2004 team was better than the '05 team. Both were cursed with HWWNBN who had the owner's blessing.

It could be worse. We could be Lions fans. How long have they been waiting?
Old 08-14-2010   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Come on. The Saints were a mess. And, they had to deal with the destruction of their entire city, and they still managed to stay focused and eventually get to the Super Bowl. We are STILL using Hurricane Ike as an excuse.

Also, we could eventually say "Gary Kubiak built a great team in Houston, he just couldn't get them to go anywhere."

That's where I think we're heading. The Texans WILL win a Super Bowl within the next five years - but it will be with another head coach. And then we will spend years talking about how Coach X won in Houston with Gary's players.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Totally agree. The 2004 team was better than the '05 team. Both were cursed with HWWNBN who had the owner's blessing.

It could be worse. We could be Lions fans. How long have they been waiting?
They also had an interesting point about the Bills in the Redskins game last night. Since 2000, they've had 1 winning season (and 2 8-8 seasons.)

The Lions have had 2 winning seasons since '96.

But, OMG, the BENGALS have had 2 winning seasons since '91.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #14
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
They also had an interesting point about the Bills in the Redskins game last night. Since 2000, they've had 1 winning season (and 2 8-8 seasons.)

The Lions have had 2 winning seasons since '96.

But, OMG, the BENGALS have had 2 winning seasons since '91.
We've only had two since '93.

'93 Oilers and last year. They at least had a team of their own.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
We've only had two since '93.

'93 Oilers and last year. They at least had a team of their own.
That 5 year gap with no team kinda changes things. They had more chances for wins that we did.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

that's my gripe. once rackers officially replaces kris brown, andre johnson is the only player that kubiak inherited from only 5 years ago as far as i can tell. kubiak didnt start with an expansion team, he started with a few placeholders. back to the topic, i think it speaks volumes when you compare the team that rick smith was watching when making that statement and the team he's built ... i'm having trouble thinking of another GM who's done more during smith's tenure to shape a team, especially when it comes to late rounders, cheap trades, and walk-ons. i dont think he'll be confused with ozzie newsome, but smith has an understanding of the coaches and exactly what they're looking for that's uncanny.

i still think we've got more work to do before we start demanding playoffs or any guarantees, but chalk me up as hopeful.
Old 08-14-2010   #17
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Well. I quote myself here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC in Another Thread

During the first 12 games, EVERY team is fighting for its playoff life.
The Texans seem to take about 12 games to hit stride.

Start of 2007 Season: 5-7 (3-1 finish)
Start of 2008 Season: 5-7 (3-1 finish)
Start of 2009 Season: 5-7 (4-0 finish)

Once they improve their record over "The First Twelve"
I'll be a believer they've "taken the next step." The
Texans can NOT afford to sleepwalk for weeks-on-end
before they "get" it.

Who do we face over the 1st 12?
1. Colts
2. Redskins (Haynesworth)
3. Cowboys
4. Raiders
5. Giants
6. Chiefs
7. Colts
8. Chargers
9. Jags
10. Jets
11. Titans
12. Eagles

Barely a creampuff in this. EVERY team on this list will be BRINGIN' it, because nothing
will have been settled. They won't be resting starters, or switching their key players
in-and-out to give us a chance. The Texans have to WIN these games to make
post season.
Old 08-14-2010   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Originally Posted by DexmanC in Another Thread

During the first 12 games, EVERY team is fighting for its playoff life.
The Texans seem to take about 12 games to hit stride.

Start of 2007 Season: 5-7 (3-1 finish)
Start of 2008 Season: 5-7 (3-1 finish)
Start of 2009 Season: 5-7 (4-0 finish)

Once they improve their record over "The First Twelve"
I'll be a believer they've "taken the next step." The
Texans can NOT afford to sleepwalk for weeks-on-end
before they "get" it.

Who do we face over the 1st 12?
1. Colts
2. Redskins (Haynesworth)
3. Cowboys
4. Raiders
5. Giants
6. Chiefs
7. Colts
8. Chargers
9. Jags
10. Jets
11. Titans
12. Eagles

Barely a creampuff in this. EVERY team on this list will be BRINGIN' it, because nothing
will have been settled. They won't be resting starters, or switching their key players
in-and-out to give us a chance. The Texans have to WIN these games to make
post season.
So would a 9-7 season THIS year against THIS schedule mean we're actually better than we were last year? Or is it the absolute record no matter who we played? Just curious. And I'm not directing this query at just you, Dex, but everyone....

To my thinking, a better record in the division (at least 3-3) will be the measure of our progress. But I'd be happy with 3-3 in the division IF we finished 7-3 (or better) elsewhere.
Old 08-14-2010   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
So would a 9-7 season THIS year against THIS schedule mean we're actually better than we were last year? Or is it the absolute record no matter who we played? Just curious. And I'm not directing this query at just you, Dex, but everyone....

To my thinking, a better record in the division (at least 3-3) will be the measure of our progress. But I'd be happy with 3-3 in the division IF we finished 7-3 (or better) elsewhere.
With that reasoning, (by numbers alone) I believe that if we finish 9-7 this year, it would probably show us very little improvement compared to what we should have ended up last year. Last year should have easily resulted in a 10 or 11 win year.
Old 08-14-2010   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
With that reasoning, (by numbers alone) I believe that if we finish 9-7 this year, it would probably show us very little improvement compared to what we should have ended up last year. Last year should have easily resulted in a 10 or 11 win year.
I think the lost of Daniels and breaking in a new defense cost us a win or two last year.

The loss of Cushing for four games may cost us this year.

but we should still be in contention for a playoff berth no matter what. If we're to be a playoff team, then we need be ready to beat whoever the schedule puts in front of us.
Period.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read