Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default LB Darnell BING..........out of nowhere

Looks like promising ex-PS is being sized up for a Cushing fill in.

Quote:
Low-profile Bing ready for "opporunity to shine" By Nick Scurfield - Today, 1:03 PM Topic: Training camp

Darnell Bing has flown far under the radar at Texans training camp, but linebackers coach Johnny Holland can’t say enough about him.

Bing (6-2, 238) has played for five teams in four years in the NFL. He has been switched from safety, where he starred at USC, to linebacker to safety and back to linebacker, his current position. Holland sees a player who, 10 months after joining the Texans’ practice squad, is starting to come into his own.

“What we didn’t know about him last year when he was on the practice squad was the physical part of his game, because we weren’t in pads and he didn’t get an opportunity to show that he would hit,” Holland said. “But his athletic ability has definitely shown up. He’s a fluid athlete, he can turn his hips and he has great speed and quickness, and he will step up and be physical in the run game. I’m very excited to see how he’ll play in game situations this preseason.”

Bing was highly-recruited coming out of Long Beach (Calif.) Poly High School in 2002, so much so that then-USC athletic director Mike Garrett unretired his number 20 jersey to give it to Bing. He started three seasons at USC as a strong safety, winning national championships in 2003 and 2004 and earning first-team All-America honors as a junior in 2005.

“I remember Darnell being a ball hawk, a real physical player – easily one of the top safeties in the country,” linebacker Brian Cushing, a freshman at USC in 2005, said.

After leaving school early for the NFL, Bing wasn’t drafted until the fourth round by Oakland. The Raiders moved him to linebacker, but he went on injured reserve before his rookie season. Over the next three years, he bounced around the league as a safety with the Raiders, San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets and a linebacker with the Detroit Lions. He wound up in Houston last October.

“It’s been pretty crazy,” Bing said of his topsy-turvy NFL run. “At the same time, I feel like it’s a good opportunity for me to have been around the league and see how teams operate and learn as much as I can from different players and different coaches. I take it as a good thing. Most people wouldn’t say that, but I think it’s helped me out.”

As Holland points out, Bing has yet to play a down at linebacker in a regular-season NFL game. That explains why he remains virtually anonymous among the Houston media, but it’s also part of what makes Bing such an intriguing prospect.

“We want to coach him and give him some tools so that he can be a good linebacker in this league,” Holland said. “I think he has the mental and physical ability to do that. We look at him out there as a linebacker, and he moves around like a safety. He understands pass drops and coverage. He can turn his hips and break on the ball. He has good hands and good timing in coverage.”

Holland, who played linebacker for the Green Bay Packers and has tutored Texans Pro Bowlers DeMeco Ryans and Cushing, wants Bing to read his keys faster in run fits. Bing said that’s made the biggest difference in his game.

“In Detroit, we were taught a different technique as far as reading keys and stuff like that,” he said. “I feel like the way Coach Johnny’s been coaching me, I’ve been able to play a lot faster.”

It’s not as though Bing, who ran a 10.6 100-meter dash in high school, was hurting for speed to begin with.

“He’s easily our fastest linebacker,” Cushing said. “He’s adjusted really well to the linebacker position. To be honest with you, I’m just really happy and really proud of him. I think he’s having a hell of a camp. He’s shown glimpses of greatness.”

With linebackers Xavier Adibi and Danny Clark hobbled by injuries, Bing expects to play for the majority of the Texans’ preseason opener at Arizona. Holland calls it “a great opportunity for him to shine” after Bing’s strong offseason.

“I’m hoping to go out there and make a lot of plays and show the coaches that I’m capable of being on this team,” he said. “I feel like I’m going to have a really, really good preseason, so I’m looking forward to it. I’m just ready to go out there and hit
Please EDIT: Sorry, but can a MOD change the typo of "BINB' in the title to "BING." Thanks.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LB Darnell BINB..........out of nowhere

They've been saying some good things about Bing the past week or so.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LB Darnell BING..........out of nowhere

Quote:
With linebackers Xavier Adibi and Danny Clark hobbled by injuries...
This is how a fringe player can get an opportunity. There have been a few players who have successfillu transitioned from college safety to pro LB. The Panthers' Thomas Davis, for one. During Cushing's absence (if it stands), it might make more sense to start a coverage LB like Bing against the Colts, but a more physical LB versus a run first team like the Raiders.
Old 08-13-2010   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This is how a fringe player can get an opportunity. There have been a few players who have successfillu transitioned from college safety to pro LB. The Panthers' Thomas Davis, for one. During Cushing's absence (if it stands), it might make more sense to start a coverage LB like Bing against the Colts, but a more physical LB versus a run first team like the Raiders.
Yeah, I could see Bing against the Colts and Cowboys and then someone like Bentley against the Raiders and maybe the Redskins. Depends on how Shanahan decides to attack us.

And of course, it depends on how Sharpton develops and how Adibi and Clark heal.
Old 08-13-2010   #5
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm liking what I hear about the Texans' level of talent.
The cut down to 53 is gonna send a lot of good players
to the street.

Just a few years ago, the only player on our roster who
looked like they belonged in the NFL was #80. Now, I'm
actually ANXIOUS to see who makes the final 53.
Old 08-13-2010   #6
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Darnell Bing had similiar issues to Mays, great athlete, terrible ball skills.

I think he could be a player at LB though.

Look forward to seeing how he looks in preseason.
Old 08-13-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 124578 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I'm liking what I hear about the Texans' level of talent.
The cut down to 53 is gonna send a lot of good players
to the street.

Just a few years ago, the only player on our roster who
looked like they belonged in the NFL was #80. Now, I'm
actually ANXIOUS to see who makes the final 53.
Me too! I am getting pumped about this season.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2010   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah, I could see Bing against the Colts and Cowboys and then someone like Bentley against the Raiders and maybe the Redskins. Depends on how Shanahan decides to attack us.

And of course, it depends on how Sharpton develops and how Adibi and Clark heal.
Demeco, Diles, Clark, Bentley, Sharpton, Adibi, Cushing, Bing

By my count that's eight LB's...

How many do we normally keep?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Well, Cushing won't count against the 53 man limit while he's on suspension, so that gets the list down to 7, and I would imagine between Clark, Bentley, Sharpton and Bing, at least one will not make the 53 man roster for opening day, and another will be gone when Cush returns from suspension (unless someone ends up on IR).
Old 08-13-2010   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

6 I think.

Doubtful on Clark, Bing would have to beat out Bentley or maybe the coaching staff gets tired of Adibi's inconsistency/health issues and move on with Bing who offers a lot of the same physical skills. If we had 1 plus coverage LBer to add to Cush/Ryans that would be insane. Neither Ryans or Cushing are great coverage guys and Diles plays fairly averagely. Interesting though and definitely awesome that there is solid depth to the point of having a 6th LBer battle between several interesting candidates.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
6 I think.

Doubtful on Clark, Bing would have to beat out Bentley or maybe the coaching staff gets tired of Adibi's inconsistency/health issues and move on with Bing who offers a lot of the same physical skills. If we had 1 plus coverage LBer to add to Cush/Ryans that would be insane. Neither Ryans or Cushing are great coverage guys and Diles plays fairly averagely. Interesting though and definitely awesome that there is solid depth to the point of having a 6th LBer battle between several interesting candidates.
Cush did have 4 int's though. Granted a couple (?) deflections but still, 4 int's. Saw one reference to D Bing being a "ball hawk" with fluid hips...how could that hurt? C'mon tomorrow nite!!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 08-13-2010 at 08:57 PM.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'd love to have a second LB who can play the pass. Still physical enough to play the run, but someone who understands coverages, zones, routes, etc... Cushing is the only one that appears to understand on the field.
Old 08-13-2010   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:

But don't forget Greenhouse. The coaches have said good things about him, too.

Last season, I think we just had Demeco, Cush, Diles, Adibi, and Bentley.

I expect Demeco, Diles, and Sharpton to definitely have jobs with Cush on suspension. That means a dog fight between Bentley, Bing, Clark, and Greenhouse. Greenhouse probably ends up PS.

Bentley is a monster special teamer. He's going to be hard to get rid of.
Old 08-13-2010   #14
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2075 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep:
Adibi
Clark
Bentley
Cushing
Diles
Ryans
Sharpton

3 starters, 3 backups, 1 ST ace

Bing to PS
Greenhouse to PS or just cut
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
Keep:
Adibi
Clark
Bentley
Cushing
Diles
Ryans
Sharpton

3 starters, 3 backups, 1 ST ace

Bing to PS
Greenhouse to PS or just cut
IIRC, they went with 5 LBs last year. 7 is at least 1 too many, I think.

I think Adibi goes to IR and Clark gets cut. Bing might make the squad.
Old 08-13-2010   #16
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

^^^^Saved me a lot of typing. I think Bing's there.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #17
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2075 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah 7 may be a bit much. Though I feel the same at TE. 4, possibly 5 TEs on the roster.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Clark will be cut once Cushing is set to come back. Sucks that it has to happen, but I can see that scenario playing out. We're going to need Clark throughout that 4-game stretch.
Old 08-14-2010   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IIRC, they went with 5 LBs last year.
The Texans began the '09 season with 6 LBs (Cush, DeMeco, Diles, Adibi, Bentley, Chaun Thompson). Thompson went on IR, and the Texans replaced him with Khary Campbell. Eventually, the Texans cut Campbell loose and went with 5 LBs. But with the Cushing uncertainty and Adibi's injury, I think the Texans start out with 6 LBs.
Old 08-14-2010   #20
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Bing was Taylor Mays before Taylor Mays

The kid lays the wood, but couldn't cover worth a damn at safety.

I figure he will make the roster as an all-around special teams player, but some starting time would be good.

Can have enough USC boys
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read