Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-12-2010   #1
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77581 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Beanie carted off the field

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...lped-off-field

May be out for Saturday? Maybe he'll come around. Who knows?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beanie carted off the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...lped-off-field

May be out for Saturday? Maybe he'll come around. Who knows?
I'd prefer him to play Saturday. I want us to face as many of their weapons as we can. We need to be tested.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'd prefer him to play Saturday. I want us to face as many of their weapons as we can. We need to be tested.
I agree. I think Arizona is a good first game.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #4
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3754 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Being tested in the first preseason game.... seriously?? It won't matter at all who suits up..just try to get thru the first game healthy !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Being tested in the first preseason game.... seriously?? It won't matter at all who suits up..just try to get thru the first game healthy !!
I agree with you for the most part, especially about remaining healthy. There has been a lot of injuries already this pre-season. However, we need the work. Get Schaub, AJ , D Brown, Winston, D-Ryans, Cushing, Pollard, Walter, Leach, Mario and A Smith a handful of reps and get them out of there. But, we need to do work at the interior Oline positions, DT, CB, RB and our remaining depth.
Old 08-13-2010   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

This is why the preseason should be cut to just one or two games and then get right into the season.
Old 08-13-2010   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

there's a lot of players on a roster who don't start who need to work to make the team, i have no problem with 4 preseason games.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2010   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
This is why the preseason should be cut to just one or two games and then get right into the season.
Why does a player getting injured in practice mean there should be less preseason games?

Theoretically he'd have more chances to get hurt if there were just more practices instead of games
Old 08-13-2010   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Why does a player getting injured in practice mean there should be less preseason games?

Theoretically he'd have more chances to get hurt if there were just more practices instead of games
It's already in the plans of the NFL. There is a reason for that. Let them just play once and get into the season. If get injured I am sure teams would rather have the season started. Why take chanes on too many games which do not count? I do not see a reason play a game maybe two but three is one too many when you're just trying to get ready for the games that count JMO.
Old 08-13-2010   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

This happend in practice but I still believe they should cut down the number of preseason games.
Old 08-13-2010   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's already in the plans of the NFL. There is a reason for that. Let them just play once and get into the season. If get injured I am sure teams would rather have the season started. Why take chanes on too many games which do not count? I do not see a reason play a game maybe two but three is one too many when you're just trying to get ready for the games that count JMO.
Well, their plans are to cut a game or two from the preseason but add a game or two to the regular season.

So the risk for the players will remain the same.

It's just that the fringe players who now have that 4th game to try to highlight themselves and possibly get signed to another team won't get that chance.

Personally, I like the 16 game season as it is. I don't think more regular season games need to be added. And if they want to cut a preseason game, I'm fine with that, too, although I like the 4 game preseason as it is.
Old 08-13-2010   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well, their plans are to cut a game or two from the preseason but add a game or two to the regular season.

So the risk for the players will remain the same.

It's just that the fringe players who now have that 4th game to try to highlight themselves and possibly get signed to another team won't get that chance.

Personally, I like the 16 game season as it is. I don't think more regular season games need to be added. And if they want to cut a preseason game, I'm fine with that, too, although I like the 4 game preseason as it is.
I'd like to see the season left alone and the preseason cut down but you have got a point though.
Old 08-13-2010   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'd like to see the season left alone and the preseason cut down but you have got a point though.
Yeah, there's no way they do that. Each game is revenue and the owners aren't going to give up games.

The NFLPA would love to keep getting paid like they're getting paid and cut down the preseason and regular season as much as possible. Fewer games means fewer chances to get injured.

But once we have X number of games in a season, there's no way that the owners will allow it to retreat to X-1.
Old 08-13-2010   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, there's no way they do that. Each game is revenue and the owners aren't going to give up games.

The NFLPA would love to keep getting paid like they're getting paid and cut down the preseason and regular season as much as possible. Fewer games means fewer chances to get injured.

But once we have X number of games in a season, there's no way that the owners will allow it to retreat to X-1.
I guess that would still leave training camp to get injured but at least there you have the option of not doing a full contact practice without the pads on. But again, you would still have to put your full gear on at some point just not as often.
Old 08-13-2010   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
there's a lot of players on a roster who don't start who need to work to make the team, i have no problem with 4 preseason games.
Those players should still have ample time to make an impression in two pre-season games.

Most teams play their starters for almost a half in the second pre-season game and the majority of the third pre-season game...so it's not like the fringe guys are getting the full benefit of playing four games.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this is why I discounted him in the draft & continue to discount him in fantasy football. dude can't stay healthy or hang onto the ball.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would assume the NFLPA would prefer more preason games, not fewer.

Its the onlyw ay a lot of 3rd string and beyond guys get any game tape at all
Old 08-13-2010   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

True... plus veterans don't play as much which is a good thing for them. Still can't wait untill they agree on a rookie salary cap which allows the vets more money but that's another day...
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I don't know, though. The "regular" players don't get a full game check for these.

I think there's a big push from the more powerful members of the NFLPA to cut back and then a smaller push from the no-name fringe guys for more games.

In that case, I think the regular season players have bigger pull in the organization.
Old 08-13-2010   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How many snaps do you think third string guys get in the pre-season?

Starters play about 5-6 qtrs out of 16...Lets say second string guys play about 5-6 as well...

That only leaves about 4-6 qtrs. for "3rd stringers"....

The first game starters play about a quater (some less than that, some more)...Then your 2's normally play a good chunk of the game after that...Especially if you have position battles going on and rookies trying to get acclimated...third stringers get about a quater of action

In the second pre-season game starters tend to play a little more....Second string plays a little more....third stringers get about a quater of action again...probably less...

Third pre-season game...Many third stringers will not play...Starters play most of the game, second stringers finish it out

After the third pre-season game there is normally a cut down on the roster...So a lot of the fringe players get cut without playing much...

Fourth pre-season game belongs to the second stringers and fringe guys.

Some of the young guys that a team cuts will be put on a practice squad. Veterans like Rackers, Brown, Orvlosky, Andre' Davis...if they get cut the leauge already has a good grasp on what they can do...Undrafted F/A's film is their college film...

I just think that reducing the pre-season would cut back on the amount of time entrenched starters would play...Not the time that back-ups would have...

2 pre-season games.

Starters would still have almost an entire game to get into the flow of things and fringe guys would have about an entire game of film on themselves. Starters would be the only ones not playing as much.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read