Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 08-18-2010   #41
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BADBOY's 2011 pre-season mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That's Not funny! Yes it is.
I really think that unless we sustain more serious injury's, that next year will be the first time we can truly draft BPA. Our depth is starting to look good.
Old 08-18-2010   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I really think that unless we sustain more serious injury's, that next year will be the first time we can truly draft BPA. Our depth is starting to look good.
Agreed although I am concerned that QB may require a high selection unless another Schaub becomes available. Next draft will really takes some work to pull out the gems.
Old 08-18-2010   #43
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed although I am concerned that QB may require a high selection unless another Schaub becomes available. Next draft will really takes some work to pull out the gems.
If we are picking in the mid twenties, and someone like Mallett fell to us, I would not be adverse to taking him if he was the BPA.
Old 08-18-2010   #44
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Scenario pans out that Nolan and Wilson can resolve FS. Give the three top picks by position.
1) Center
2) Backup QB
3) OT

Its actually pretty hard after FS, Center, and backup QB. The Texans have good, young starters across the board, should players pan out as expected. Realistically, the next draft becomes about depth and filling injury holes and free agent defections.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #45
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we are picking in the mid twenties, and someone like Mallett fell to us, I would not be adverse to taking him if he was the BPA.
depends where he's projected by NFL draft commettie? if he is projected in the late 20's hell yeah. his people however should advise him to stay in school & become a top 10 pick his senior season.

I could see the Texans using a 2nd or 3rd on a QB. some may thing I like to bash Aggies (I'm sure there are good ones, somewhere) but you got Kubiak (aggie) & Sherman (aggie) connection it would not surprise me one bit if the Texans took a long look @ A&M QB Jarrod Johnson http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...-nflcaliber-qb
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Mallett is there we grab him imo. I've been in Orslovky's corner but he really needs to step up this year. Mallett could be a franchise Qb and stats are great. 6'7 238 he could take a few hits.
Old 08-18-2010   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
depends where he's projected by NFL draft commettie? if he is projected in the late 20's hell yeah. his people however should advise him to stay in school & become a top 10 pick his senior season.

I could see the Texans using a 2nd or 3rd on a QB. some may thing I like to bash Aggies (I'm sure there are good ones, somewhere) but you got Kubiak (aggie) & Sherman (aggie) connection it would not surprise me one bit if the Texans took a long look @ A&M QB Jarrod Johnson http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...-nflcaliber-qb
I understand your thinking on Mallett returning to school but remember we should see a tremendous reduction in rookie salaries and more importantly guaranteed money under new CBA. I believe I'd advise him to come out and start getting NFL coaching. Especially with Houston; closed stadium, Kubiac training with Schaub as a mentor. He is 22 and could absorb a pretty decent contract while playing behind Matt for four years.
Old 08-18-2010   #48
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55561 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand your thinking on Mallett returning to school but remember we should see a tremendous reduction in rookie salaries and more importantly guaranteed money under new CBA. I believe I'd advise him to come out and start getting NFL coaching. Especially with Houston; closed stadium, Kubiac training with Schaub as a mentor. He is 22 and could absorb a pretty decent contract while playing behind Matt for four years.
As far as money goes, it would be better for him to go back and be a top ten pick than to leave early and go in the twenties.

Plus, Petrino is no slouch when it comes to QBs. I'm not saying he is better than a NFL coaching staff. But Mallett would definitely raise his value in the draft.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #49
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Just for the record, I was just using Mallett as an example because he was the first name to come to mind. The point I was making is that if a QB that was highly rated fell to us, I would not be adverse to us selecting one in the first round. I just think that we will be in a position to take the true BPA, not just the best at a position of need.
Old 08-18-2010   #50
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just for the record, I was just using Mallett as an example because he was the first name to come to mind. The point I was making is that if a QB that was highly rated fell to us, I would not be adverse to us selecting one in the first round. I just think that we will be in a position to take the true BPA, not just the best at a position of need.
see 08 Flacco vs Brown
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #51
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
see 08 Flacco vs Brown
Yep! Or this year. Williams vs Jackson
Old 08-18-2010   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
But it was a great example! Mallett is predicted to be a top 15 and could fall depending on QBs that could be selected such as Devlin.
Old 08-18-2010   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
see 08 Flacco vs Brown
Flacco vs Brown, SLaton and Dominque Barber.
Old 08-18-2010   #54
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
1) Center
2) Backup QB
3) OT

Its actually pretty hard after FS, Center, and backup QB. The Texans have good, young starters across the board, should players pan out as expected. Realistically, the next draft becomes about depth and filling injury holes and free agent defections.

Other possible positions of need are DT especially since this should be a bubble year for Okoye. It's time for him to step up instead of continuing to learn and mature. CB, even if Jackson turns out to be great we could still use some upgrades and you can never have to many good CB's. OG, I can't believe that Studdard is the LG of the future for this team, his position needs to be upgraded.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #55
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Other possible positions of need are DT especially since this should be a bubble year for Okoye. It's time for him to step up instead of continuing to learn and mature. CB, even if Jackson turns out to be great we could still use some upgrades and you can never have to many good CB's. OG, I can't believe that Studdard is the LG of the future for this team, his position needs to be upgraded.
I like corners also and as noted in thread select one in 4th where we have had some luck. OG,don't count out Briesel yet. I'm hoping Smith will replace Studdard although I hear heas not made much of a push. ALso, Shelley Smith our 6th from CSU is getting accolades from Kubiak. Although you and others are down on Okoye, he seems to be thought well of as he helped shut down the run which before last season was deemed high priority. If he can keep his strength and get quicker with his recent loss in weight, we might not go DT.
Old 08-19-2010   #56
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
While I think that it is too early to call someone a future starter, I do think that Nolan looks good. I may have to eat some crow on that one.
I know its early, but there is still plenty of room on the Troy Nolan Bandwagon. I have been driving that truck pretty hard for a while now and was estatic we got him where we did.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #57
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would love if we were in that position. We could trade down, pick up some extra picks and still geta great prospect!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I would love if we were in that position. We could trade down, pick up some extra picks and still geta great prospect!
I think it would be hard for me to trade down if Mallett was there late first. I am going to watch Endarle, but Mallett is thought to be a possible franchise type QB. I was like 65 on Nolan and did not think much of him but really hope he comes on. I am hoping same for McManus and Shelley Smith.
Old 08-19-2010   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From my corner, Chris O'Dowd is slower and weaker than Myers.
I have not watched the Penn St guy much; I think I will try to do so this season if I have the time.
I've been touting William Vllachos from Alabama for awhile now.
And just found out that he played last season with some broken bone in his toe.
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...free-Cody-free
That makes it more impressive for him... to be playing well like that.
The one concern with Vllachos is that he's barely 6'0.
It makes it more difficult to move him, but it may become a liability when guy get over the top and in pass protection.
(It would be a shame if he doesn't get to play in the NFL. Who's the shortest NFL Center, any one knows?)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #60
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wished that the Texans had drafted OT Sebastian Vollmer from UH.
But I guess nobody figured he would go that high (#58).
It appears he's now a lock at RT for the Pats.
He played very well against Freeney (better that #1 pick Jake Long from 2008 - better than our tackles).
He even demolished Freeney in a running play that I saw last year.

We can move one of our tackle to Guard and become a very solid O-line for a long time.

This year, there's Castonzo from BC that I really like.
Looks as if he's going in the first round though, and we probably won't be able to get him.

I will take TXSeminole's reccommendation and pay some attention to the Guard from Fla St.
Pouncey, I'm not sure where to put him yet (2nd, 3rd or 4th).

I don't think the Texans will take any guy on the Wisconsin O-line.
They just don't have the quickness I think the Texans want.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read