Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 08-12-2010   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BADBOY's 2011 pre-season mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Interesting that you would use a first and second on two centers or would you use Wies as a guard?
Wies would be a OG. He's a player like his uncle Steve. This draft would solidify the OL for 8-10 yrs.

Dont you think it's about time that the OL was a strength of the team?

Instead of the weakness it has been since the teams inception.

An OL of

D.Brown, Wiesnewski, O'Dowd, Caldwell, Winston for the next 10 yrs really appeals to me. How about you?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I guess we disagree here. I know we just took Jackson in the first, but let's say we add Williams next year. You can then put Quin over at FS or push him into the nickel CB spot. That's a significant upgrade to our team.

This is now a passing league. And I'm of the opinion that the more talented DBs you have the better off you are.
Agreed

I dont care how deep you are at CB. You dont pass on a talent like Williams. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #23
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting on Moffitt. I considered him but 6'5" 320 gave me pause. 5.13 40 but what about his movement? Seems to have a solid base. Can he get into secondary in our ZBS? Yep on Williams if he is still on board in first as I mentioned. Like your mock. I am sure we will adjust many times if last time is any indication.
I love Moffitt as a prospect. A little tall to be an interior lineman, but he is strong, athletic and nasty. I like his ability, and we would be lucky to get him in the second.

Ha ha, like I said in the other thread, I would be very surprised if the draft shakes down like this. That is why it is so great, it is an ever shifting world.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I guess we disagree here. I know we just took Jackson in the first, but let's say we add Williams next year. You can then put Quin over at FS or push him into the nickel CB spot. That's a significant upgrade to our team.

This is now a passing league. And I'm of the opinion that the more talented DBs you have the better off you are.
I've been pushing Quinn to FS but was Texans best physical CB last year, that changed with selection of Kareem, now if they added an upgrade coverage corner to compliment Jackson that could push McCain & the Texans would be loaded @ CB hence more willing to move Quinn to his natural position. I like it, but then again picking #25 Williams is off the board so realisticly back to badboys mock.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

1st pre-season behind us and look pretty good. If Nolan continues to progress, we might be able to remove FS from a high round pick. I was pleasantly surprised by Troy's play. He and Wilson brought the hammer. I never saw Barber, did he play if so give me your thoughts on his play. Wow, we do need a back up QB. I may have to change my mock to move QB up higher.
Old 08-16-2010   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1st pre-season behind us and look pretty good. If Nolan continues to progress, we might be able to remove FS from a high round pick. I was pleasantly surprised by Troy's play. He and Wilson brought the hammer. I never saw Barber, did he play if so give me your thoughts on his play. Wow, we do need a back up QB. I may have to change my mock to move QB up higher.
impressed with Nolan play, guy is a ballhawk which is what we need @ FS
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #27
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

While I think that it is too early to call someone a future starter, I do think that Nolan looks good. I may have to eat some crow on that one.
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2010   #28
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I would want no part of having Gideon as a safety on the Texans and I highly doubt he has an NFL career. The guy gets constantly ran over and misses tackles. All the time over the last two years when I'd see big plays occuring agains the Longhorns defense Gideon would somehow be involved. He reminds me of Matt Stevens and I've wanted Christian Scott to be able to start over him at Texas for a while. Gideon gets a lot of praise and all and is a very smart player but he's limited physically.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I would want no part of having Gideon as a safety on the Texans and I highly doubt he has an NFL career. The guy gets constantly ran over and misses tackles. All the time over the last two years when I'd see big plays occuring agains the Longhorns defense Gideon would somehow be involved. He reminds me of Matt Stevens and I've wanted Christian Scott to be able to start over him at Texas for a while. Gideon gets a lot of praise and all and is a very smart player but he's limited physically.
The negative you are mentioning can be corrected with good coaching and 8 INTS can not be overlooked. He may or may not step up this year. You should hope Scott can overcome his eligibility issues and get on the field.
Old 08-16-2010   #30
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texas recently had their final live scrimmage of the summer/fall. Next time they go live in full pads will be in the season opener.

Whenever the defense went into man coverage Gideon was put over the slot receiver. Chiles abused him over and over and over again.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #31
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've also seen him give up alot of plays in the past couple of years. I never really thought much of him as a prospect, just a guy that makes occasional plays on a good college football team.

Piggy backing off of what bah was saying about Chiles abusing Gideon, FS's in the NFL have to be able to play man coverage against a slot receiver or they won't last if they get there at all.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I've also seen him give up alot of plays in the past couple of years. I never really thought much of him as a prospect, just a guy that makes occasional plays on a good college football team.

Piggy backing off of what bah was saying about Chiles abusing Gideon, FS's in the NFL have to be able to play man coverage against a slot receiver or they won't last if they get there at all.
In our defense, a CB would cover that slot WR allowing FS to well be free...
Old 08-17-2010   #33
rmartin65
I'm Score

I dont know badboy, having a FS that can cover the slot or someone out of the backfield is as close to a must in this day and age as any other position. A guy that I have been looking at for 2nd-4th rounds is Temple's Jaiquawn Jarrett.

Not exactly a ball hawk, but makes plays on the ball. A solid tackler, good hip movement and speed, he should be a starter in this league relatively soon. I dont think he has star potential, but I would feel confident with him at FS.

That said, the FS conversation may become moot. I know it was only 1 pre season game, but Nolan looked pretty good.
Old 08-17-2010   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I dont know badboy, having a FS that can cover the slot or someone out of the backfield is as close to a must in this day and age as any other position. A guy that I have been looking at for 2nd-4th rounds is Temple's Jaiquawn Jarrett.

Not exactly a ball hawk, but makes plays on the ball. A solid tackler, good hip movement and speed, he should be a starter in this league relatively soon. I dont think he has star potential, but I would feel confident with him at FS.

That said, the FS conversation may become moot. I know it was only 1 pre season game, but Nolan looked pretty good.
I'm probably only one that has my philosophy with our defense today. Yes a FS should be able to cover slot. However, with exception maybe of Quin, our corners are bangers and not cover guys. Until proven different(maybe Jackson will be better at this than I think), I want our FS to play back and go deep with WR that I think will jet by our CB. Our other corners should play slot in most situations. I don't want TDs deep over our CBs. Ideally, Jackson or Quin will have backup over the top from our FS. Anyway, both Wilson and Nolan looked awesome so as 65 says may be moot.
Old 08-18-2010   #35
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Regardless of if Nolan emerges as a starter or not the depth at that position is still very weak. Wilson is good for now, but we shouldn't count on him lasting past 1-4 more years. If he lasted even 4 years as a starter I would be very surprised.

I obviously do agree with you that having a FS that can play a slot receiver man up is essential in today's NFL. You can open up so many coverages and blitzes when your FS can do those sorts of things. Look at the Ravens, they've been able to do alot of exotic things over the years because of Ed Reed, and recently Dewan Landry's versatility. Same can be said about Pittsburgh and even Arizona and New Orleans in recent years .
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #36
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Regardless of if Nolan emerges as a starter or not the depth at that position is still very weak. Wilson is good for now, but we shouldn't count on him lasting past 1-4 more years. If he lasted even 4 years as a starter I would be very surprised.
Dont get me wrong, even if Nolan pans out I want a FS in the mid to late rounds. But if Nolan pans out, I think Center clearly becomes a more important hole to fill.

That said, I have been down on Nolan before the season and dont think that he will turn out to be the answer. I was just acknowledging that he had a good preseason game.
Old 08-18-2010   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

I obviously do agree with you that having a FS that can play a slot receiver man up is essential in today's NFL. You can open up so many coverages and blitzes when your FS can do those sorts of things. Look at the Ravens, they've been able to do alot of exotic things over the years because of Ed Reed, and recently Dewan Landry's versatility. Same can be said about Pittsburgh and even Arizona and New Orleans in recent years .
I can see having Wilson FS starter this season and then switching with Nolan. Wilson is 30 and could play back up for a year or two if Nolan can start.

Torri William 6'2" 209 might develop eventually but I don't know much about him. Purdue college. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2820329
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/47962.html
http://rivals.yahoo.com/purdue/footb...Williams-23593

He seems more of SS to me.
Old 08-18-2010   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, even if Nolan pans out I want a FS in the mid to late rounds. But if Nolan pans out, I think Center clearly becomes a more important hole to fill.

That said, I have been down on Nolan before the season and dont think that he will turn out to be the answer. I was just acknowledging that he had a good preseason game.
Scenario pans out that Nolan and Wilson can resolve FS. Give the three top picks by position.
Old 08-18-2010   #39
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Scenario pans out that Nolan and Wilson can resolve FS. Give the three top picks by position.
1. TE/OG
2. TE/DE
3. TE/OT

Old 08-18-2010   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
1. TE/OG
2. TE/DE
3. TE/OT

That's Not funny! Yes it is.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read