Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: is it over hyped
yes - theres going to be to much hype win or loss 40 47.62%
no - there can never be to much hype 37 44.05%
i dont know 7 8.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2010   #1
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 5981 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation Colts think Texans are too hyped for opener

No matter what happens in Week One, Texans fans are going to overreact. (Okay, all 32 fanbases are going to overreact.)

But the home opener against the Colts has added meaning in Houston, where excitement is bubbling over. A win and the franchise will feel like they've finally made true progress. A loss will feel like more in the same.

In reality, the game could prove as meaningless as many Week One games prove to be. (The 31-0 shellacking Lawyer Milloy helped put on the Patriots to open the 2003 season comes to mind.) "More than a few" Colts think the Texans are overexcited.

"It's like the most important game in the history of their franchise, from what we're hearing out of there,'' one Colts veteran told Peter King of Si.com. "They might be putting a little too much emphasis on it.''

We love the older brother-like condescension, especially because it should only get the Texans more fired up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ed-for-opener/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My question for yall is.

Is it over hyped put your answer in poll and post why!
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colts think Texans are too hyped for opener

I sort of agree with the Colts take on this.

There is a danger with putting too much emphasis on any one game.

There is a danger the Texans players have a let down if they win. They might feel like they've accomplished their goal and lay down the next game.

There is a danger the Texans players have a let down if they lose. They might feel like they've lost everything and lay down the next game.

Every game is so important, there shouldn't be too much emphasis placed on any one of them.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #3
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

First time I think I've ever heard a player basically say that the other team wants it more before a game.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150820 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think this game is way overhyped, on the Houston end.

But I don't have a problem with that. The game may turn out to be meaningless, being a division game, I highly doubt it. Being that we've been pwned by the Colts for the last 8 years, I don't know if it could possibly too hyped... from a Houston perspective.

Hyping this game up, on our end at least, gives our guys a little taste of what it means to play in a truly meaningful game. Here's the expectation, win. Everygame after that will be just as overhyped, because it will then be the most important game in franchise history. The better acclimated our guys get to winning in those situations, the better prepared they will be to play (& win) in the post season.
Old 08-11-2010   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

2010 curse of the superbowl loser starts here.
Old 08-11-2010   #6
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 5981 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I sort of agree with the Colts take on this.

There is a danger with putting too much emphasis on any one game.

There is a danger the Texans players have a let down if they win. They might feel like they've accomplished their goal and lay down the next game.

There is a danger the Texans players have a let down if they lose. They might feel like they've lost everything and lay down the next game.

Every game is so important, there shouldn't be too much emphasis placed on any one of them.
i agree on putting too much emphasis on any game is bad and that it could and most likely will harm us but this team runs off motivation for example gary kubiak allmost lost his job toward the end of the season but we came back and won the last 4
games

just my 2 cents
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #7
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58271 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think opening the season with the colts is a no lose situation for the Texans. If you win the game... it is just one game. If you win the game though, it sets the tone for the year... The kind of win we've never seen... a win vs the colts when win's still matter.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2010   #8
Heath Shuler
maybe not

Section: 521
Rep Power: 34640 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

How in the world could the most important game in Texans’ history be over hyped; impossible. No amount of hype will suffice. It’s like saying air is over hyped.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #9
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Texans can put too much emphasis on this game. Last year they were 1-5 against the AFC South. Putting emphasis on trying to improve their division record, something in which they have been historically terrible, seems like a good thing to me.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think this game is way overhyped, on the Houston end.

But I don't have a problem with that. The game may turn out to be meaningless, being a division game, I highly doubt it. Being that we've been pwned by the Colts for the last 8 years, I don't know if it could possibly too hyped... from a Houston perspective.

Hyping this game up, on our end at least, gives our guys a little taste of what it means to play in a truly meaningful game. Here's the expectation, win. Everygame after that will be just as overhyped, because it will then be the most important game in franchise history. The better acclimated our guys get to winning in those situations, the better prepared they will be to play (& win) in the post season.
I hate anonymous source!

Does Peter King name his source?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatonisabeast View Post
i agree on putting too much emphasis on any game is bad and that it could and most likely will harm us but this team runs off motivation for example gary kubiak allmost lost his job toward the end of the season but we came back and won the last 4
games

just my 2 cents
You have always had the thoughts. Keep expanding them. They are more important than words!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #12
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Madd View Post
I don't think the Texans can put too much emphasis on this game. Last year they were 1-5 against the AFC South. Putting emphasis on trying to improve their division record, something in which they have been historically terrible, seems like a good thing to me.
And if they want to dethrone the Colts atop the AFC South they need to improve on that 1-15 record against them. If Houston ever wants a shot at winning their division they need to beat the Colts. At least once.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #13
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is actually a great time to play them. I am not sure if this is all in my head or not, but it seems to me that we always come out in week 1 looking kinda sluggish. We got pounded by the Jets last year and the Steelers the year before. I am not sure if we are just not quite prepared because we have no film to watch, or what the issue is with this.

Anyway, I figure that if it is the lack of film or being prepared, the colts are the perfect opponent. They do not change much, we know exactly what to expect from them. We just need to go out and execute. If it is not the case, and we just start slow, well, it would not be the first time we lost to the colts. Better to lose to them who we get a 2nd shot at later than to lose an easily win-able game,
dinkatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #14
HouTxFan
Quiet Lurker

Rep Power: 0 HouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTxFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I think opening the season with the colts is a no lose situation for the Texans. If you win the game... it is just one game. If you win the game though, it sets the tone for the year... The kind of win we've never seen... a win vs the colts when win's still matter.

Mike
Agreed. I hope the Colts are "under-hyped" for the game...that'd suit me just fine.
HouTxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"This is not a Must Win. This is a Must ______ Well situation..."

Fill in the blank. And name the former Texans player who said it.

I will never forget that quote. LOL.
Old 08-12-2010   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Its football in Texas. Enough said.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #17
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8155 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to texansdrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkatoid View Post
I think it is actually a great time to play them. I am not sure if this is all in my head or not, but it seems to me that we always come out in week 1 looking kinda sluggish. We got pounded by the Jets last year and the Steelers the year before. I am not sure if we are just not quite prepared because we have no film to watch, or what the issue is with this.

Anyway, I figure that if it is the lack of film or being prepared, the colts are the perfect opponent. They do not change much, we know exactly what to expect from them. We just need to go out and execute. If it is not the case, and we just start slow, well, it would not be the first time we lost to the colts. Better to lose to them who we get a 2nd shot at later than to lose an easily win-able game,
Yes....and least we we're not going to have any excuses about "overlooking" the opponent (how can that EVER happen in an opener....btw?).By now.....one would reasonably assume that these guys understand what winning this game would mean. They could have won any of the 15 games other than our season opener last year. Had they have beaten the Jets, we would have made the playoffs. Beating the Colts in week 1, although not "make or break", would def set the tone for the season, IMO. There's not a better chance to make a statement.
texansdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #18
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Colts think Texans are too hyped for opener

This is a big game. Like Kubiak says it counts twice. As far as I am concerned it sets the tone for you season.....Hype it up ....hype it up......lets go.....crank it up ...for sure......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #19
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey guys, found the forum a few weeks ago and decided to sign up. Texans fan since the beginning, born in Fresno, lived in LA for the last few years, almost 23 years old. Hope to be of value to the board!

Anyway....as for the topic, screw that. Who WOULDN'T be hyped to play a team you've had such a hard time beating in the season-opener of a year for a team/fanbase that is absolutely starving to get into the playoffs? Who WOULDN'T be hyped up to play in the season-opener anyway?

I mean, of course, it's not the "biggest game in franchise history" but damn, it's pretty huge either way.

Rest assured Peyton will have the boys taking us very seriously, and I expect a fight as usual. Would be interesting if we end up snagging Raheem Brock, considering his familiarity with the team. Might even have some pointers for beating The Machine.

Cheers dudes.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #20
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3006 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, and they probably thought the Saints were too hyped for the Super Bowl too.

Matrix, welcome to the boards! Glad you found this site man, I think you'll really like it here.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read