Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-06-2010   #1
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Jacoby Jones #2 WR?

We're all aware of 'coach speak' and Kubes could very likely be saying these things to boost his confidence...

However, how many of you think this is a likely scenario?
Old 08-06-2010   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones #2 WR?

JJ is not Walter, they need a route runner with good hands as the number 2 reciever. If JJ is really that improved, he will get more plays, but he wouldn't be number 2. Not in Kubiac's offense.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think JJ serves one more year as the number 3. Walter is getting paid like a 2, and he is a very reliable 2. Until J proves to me his hands and route running ability, he stays number 3.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not saying they're going to be interchangeable but, it wouldn't surprise me to see them more in a 2a and 2b sort of situation if Jones can continue to make big plays in the passing game. Other than AJ we don't have speed in our top 4 that plays consistently.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #5
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I think JJ serves one more year as the number 3. Walter is getting paid like a 2, and he is a very reliable 2. Until J proves to me his hands and route running ability, he stays number 3.
I definitely think he has something to prove before we start talking about him as unseating Walter as a starter. He has started to show the potential to do it though. JJ was 5th in the NFL among WRs catching 77.1% of all passes targeted at him. He's right behind Walter at 77.9%.

For reference David Anderson was 12th @ 73.1% and AJ was 28th at 66.4%(to be fair he also drew more double teams and had more bad passes forced to him).

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I think if Jacoby really puts it all together, the team will run three wideouts more often than not. KW's blocking is pretty invaluable.
Old 08-06-2010   #7
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I do think it's a realistic possibility that JJ takes the next step sooner than many of us thought. He's looked really good in the practices I've seen.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2010   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

during the actual season injurys seem to dictate starting reps more than anything, if Jacoby can stay healthy I would say he has an excellent chance to make the transition to becoming the #2.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think if Jacoby really puts it all together, the team will run three wideouts more often than not. KW's blocking is pretty invaluable.
This! KW is asked to block down on DE's a lot. Don't know if JJ can handle that part of it nearly as well.
Old 08-06-2010   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think Jacoby is a play-maker, and KDub is not. I'd like to get as many play-makers on the field as possible at all times. But KDub is dependable, and clutch, so I don't know if I would want to take him off the field too often. I'm thinking JJ will be our new slot reciever, and like mentioned earlier it would be more of a 2a 2b thing.
Old 08-06-2010   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

We use three wideouts a lot...

I'm not really worried about who the #2 receiver is. Both Jacoby and Walter will get a bunch of tick and will probably be played in differnt sets depending on the situations and match-ups.

Last edited by Rey; 08-06-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the things I thought was interesting last year was when they showed the SF Niner's Defensive Coordinator's wrist band where he had notes written and different receiver numbers and packages and things. He had 12 written very large with a circle around it.

JJ is turning into a playmaker. If he can keep his head on straight, he's going to have a lot more balls thrown his way this season.

But I can't see him unseating KW as #2 until he gets down and dirty with the blocking like KW does. I think KW is just too reliable working underneath for him to lose his spot.

But.

I could be wrong.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #13
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

How well does JJ perform as a second level blocker? Walter has been described as almost being a second tight end in the running game.

Kubiak wants to run the ball 30 times a game; this year it looks like we will have the personnel to finally see the full scope of Kubiak's offense.

So, what is JJ's value in this scheme?

edit: I see that Pencil Neck made the same analysis at the same time I was writing my comments.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
How well does JJ perform as a second level blocker? Walter has been described as almost being a second tight end in the running game.

Kubiak wants to run the ball 30 times a game; this year it looks like we will have the personnel to finally see the full scope of Kubiak's offense.

So, what is JJ's value in this scheme?
to get the dogs off Andre, Jacoby will be facing less than double or top cb
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I anticpate JJ having a probowl type season.
Old 08-06-2010   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on what Kubes wants. If he wants reliable KW is his man. If he wants explosive JJ is his man.

The run blocking thing is a little overrated. KW is a great run blocker. But JJ isn't a bad run blocker. Plus with JJ in the game defenses are more spread out because they have to account for the speed of both AJ and JJ. Thereby opening up more running lanes for the RB's. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #17
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby reminds me of an '84 Alvin Harper with greater upside and better speed.
Compare Michael Irvin w/ Alvin Harper to Andre Johnson w/ Jacoby Jones.

In single coverage, the only question has been "is the play long enough" for him to get deep.
Old 08-06-2010   #18
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Jacoby reminds me of an '84 Alvin Harper with greater upside and better speed.
Compare Michael Irvin w/ Alvin Harper to Andre Johnson w/ Jacoby Jones.

In single coverage, the only question has been "is the play long enough" for him to get deep.
Only problem with this is.. MS dosent have the cannon to bomb it super deep. Only knocks on him, durability and not a rocket. More than breaks even with the accuracy and decision making
Old 08-06-2010   #19
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

The wide receiver position is more than just a hierarchy of 1-5, each wide out position has a specific role and specific duties to fulfill. Special skill-sets are required for each wide out spot.

Our receiving core has settled into its specific roles very well and I don't think they're going to mess up the good thing we have going here just to force feed Jacoby as a #2 receiver. Its fine the way it is now.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
One of the things I thought was interesting last year was when they showed the SF Niner's Defensive Coordinator's wrist band where he had notes written and different receiver numbers and packages and things. He had 12 written very large with a circle around it.

JJ is turning into a playmaker. If he can keep his head on straight, he's going to have a lot more balls thrown his way this season.

But I can't see him unseating KW as #2 until he gets down and dirty with the blocking like KW does. I think KW is just too reliable working underneath for him to lose his spot.

But.

I could be wrong.
Dadgum, PN, do you have bionics or something?

It's an interesting observation though. I went back and looked at previous games to that one and found he was only thrown 8 balls. But, what I did find is that 3 out of those 8 were TD's and 1 was a 44 yard reception. So yeah, I'd say he's a playmaker and we probably should find more ways to get him involved.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read