Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2010   #1
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2075 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Crank up the Chronicle's Propaganda Machine

Please move/lock if necessary, thanks.

From the Houston Press:

Quote:
Training camp opens for the Houston Texans on Friday. And as hard as it is to believe, the Houston Chronicle is high on the team's chances to make the playoffs.

NFL "expert" John McClain says the Texans will be a contender for a wild card spot. As McClain writes, the Texans, and head coach Gary Kubiak, are focused on making the playoffs in this, the franchise's ninth year of existence.

I guess this means the team hasn't been focused on accomplishing this the previous eight seasons. The problem is, this is essentially the same thing McClain and the Chron propaganda writers wrote about the Texans last season. Remember those stories about how it's finally time, and that if the Texans don't make the playoffs, then Kubiak should be replaced as coach? And remember how after the Texans got off to an awful start, the argument changed to one that said those expecting the team to make the playoffs last time were hoping for too much, and that those calling for Kubiak to be replaced were just a bunch of people who didn't understand football?

My favorite moment came when Richard Justice justified Kubiak's continued employment because he had the same, or better, record at 60 games coached as Jeff Fisher, Jimmy Johnson, and Bill Belichick while failing to point out that at the point in their career, Johnson had already made the playoffs once and were about to win the Super Bowl while Belichick's Browns were on the way to the playoffs and Fisher was coaching a team without a true home.

​But this year is going to be different than last season. Never mind that the Texans played a soft schedule last season. Never mind that the Texans had to go on another of those December winning streaks where the games didn't matter to get a winning record. Never mind that there's still no evidence that the Texans are going to have a running game this season.

Or that Mario Williams is going to show up. Or that Matt Schaub will find a way to stay healthy once again. Or that Steve Slaton will remember how to hang on to the football. Or that Owen Daniels will come back completely healthy. Or that Texans are suddenly going to start playing complete football games.

This year is going to be different.

Read the rest
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #2
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Crank up the Chronicle's Propaganda Machine

The Texans played a "soft" schedule? Who knew?
Old 08-03-2010   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

BAHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I don't read the Chron!! Just wait until we play the Cowboys and the meatballs!! We'll be the pop warner team playing SB bound teams, as far as they're concerned!! I detest MOST of their sports writers and will not subscribe to that ragsheet again until Richard Justice is GONE!! I don't need it to get info on my Texans!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
BAHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I don't read the Chron!! Just wait until we play the Cowboys and the meatballs!! We'll be the pop warner team playing SB bound teams, as far as they're concerned!! I detest MOST of their sports writers and will not subscribe to that ragsheet again until Richard Justice is GONE!! I don't need it to get info on my Texans!!!
Its actually from the Houston press. THERE you will find the bottom of the barrel.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #5
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Who have you found that covers the Texans as much and has new news on the team?
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #6
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Who have you found that covers the Texans as much and has new news on the team?
This board, Stephanie Stradley, Lance Zierlein, AJ Burge @ the Examiner, John Harris @1560, Diehard Chris, and the list goes on...
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #7
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Its actually from the Houston press. THERE you will find the bottom of the barrel.
You ain't lying. The Houston Press makes douches like Dickie Justice look like Pulitzer Prize writers.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2010   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And no matter what, it won't be Gary Kubiak's fault. A coach can only do so much, after all.
I've heard this countless times over the past 2 seasons. The owner said as much last week. I would just like to hear from the Kubiak apologists that Gary has made mistakes and needs to get better. Just as Mario, Amobi, and the rest need to improve. Kubiak is treated like a child by the apologists. "Gary's talking!" "He's walking, he's taking his first steps!" "Look, little Gary has his first tooth! He's so cute."

I just want Kubiak to be treated like an NFL head coach. I don't care how far the team has come. I don't care if they're making incremental improvements. I don't care about the injuries. I care about winning and winning in the playoffs. If it takes pulling a rabbit out of his hat, then Gary Kubiak needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat.
Old 08-03-2010   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I've heard this countless times over the past 2 seasons. The owner said as much last week. I would just like to hear from the Kubiak apologists that Gary has made mistakes and needs to get better. Just as Mario, Amobi, and the rest need to improve. Kubiak is treated like a child by the apologists. "Gary's talking!" "He's walking, he's taking his first steps!" "Look, little Gary has his first tooth! He's so cute."

I just want Kubiak to be treated like an NFL head coach. I don't care how far the team has come. I don't care if they're making incremental improvements. I don't care about the injuries. I care about winning and winning in the playoffs. If it takes pulling a rabbit out of his hat, then Gary Kubiak needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat.
Kubiak is an NFL head coach. He's a good NFL head coach. He makes mistakes. All head coaches make mistakes. He needs to get us to the playoffs and he needs to win games once he gets there.

But there's no reason to poo-poo the strides this team has made while he's been the head coach.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Gary Kubiak has made mistakes and needs to get better. And to go a step further, he needs to be a little more daring in his play-calling.

there... I said it.

but I kinda thought all that went without saying. All coaches make mistakes. Otherwise, they'd never make a wrong draft pick or ever get beat.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Kubiak is an NFL head coach. He's a good NFL head coach. He makes mistakes. All head coaches make mistakes. He needs to get us to the playoffs and he needs to win games once he gets there.

But there's no reason to poo-poo the strides this team has made while he's been the head coach.
Very well said TPN! Thanks! I think that sometimes our desires overcome our sensibilities. Kubiak has done a very good job with what he has been given to work with, overall. Yep, he has made a lot of mistakes. But for the most part, his schemes have put the players in the right position to make a play, if they dont' have their head up their ass. (re: the CJ uncovered TD).

However, if you don't achieve perfection you are obviously garbage because there are 31 other teams out there that are doing what you should be every year. if you needed it...
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #12
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
This board, Stephanie Stradley, Lance Zierlein, AJ Burge @ the Examiner, John Harris @1560, Diehard Chris, and the list goes on...
Ya I use all of these as well(other than radio because I am in LA) but I will say that the chronicle has more news type of things on the team compared to coverage/debates/etc.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #13
zanth91
Rookie

Section: 327
Rep Power: 271 zanth91 is a quality contributor and well respectedzanth91 is a quality contributor and well respectedzanth91 is a quality contributor and well respectedzanth91 is a quality contributor and well respectedzanth91 is a quality contributor and well respectedzanth91 is a quality contributor and well respectedzanth91 is a quality contributor and well respectedzanth91 is a quality contributor and well respectedzanth91 is a quality contributor and well respectedzanth91 is a quality contributor and well respectedzanth91 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Gary Kubiak has made mistakes and needs to get better. And to go a step further, he needs to be a little more daring in his play-calling.

there... I said it.

but I kinda thought all that went without saying. All coaches make mistakes. Otherwise, they'd never make a wrong draft pick or ever get beat.
Last season, the Texans offense was one of the most aggressive offenses in the league mainly due to the poor running game. How do you expect them to be more "daring" without making a lot more mistakes? I think that would be a step back.
Old 08-05-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

After many years, I discontinued the Chronicle yesterday.
Old 08-07-2010   #15
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2075 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak: Do-or-die year for Texans
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Just for the record I have always thought good coaches do not make a lot of mishaps but maybe I am wrong.
Old 08-07-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Wow...

I consider myself a Kubiak apologist. Yet I've always acknowledged Kubiak has made some mistakes, and that he himself is a work in progress as a head coach.

I even mentioned once (a long, long time ago) that we were sold a bill of goods, when McNair told us that Kubiak was ready when he hired him.
Old 08-07-2010   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
That was a really good article. I hope people don't look at "do or die" and think it's "play-offs or bust" meaning Kubiak is fired if it doesn't happen.

Not that I'm opposed to Kubiak getting fired, well, ok, I am. I'm just saying it would be nice to have something stronger than that to suggest McNair is ready to pull the trigger when the time comes.
Quote:
Right tackle Eric Winston says it's a matter of believing.

"It's not a matter of talent or playmakers," Winston says. "If we're consistent and mature about our business, it'll take us over that hump."
I was watching America's game on NFLNetwork. Irvin was saying how Jimmy Johnson would tell his team, "if you find yourself in a fight with a gorilla, you've got to walk up to him, and punch him in the mouth."

It would be nice if our coach would say things like that.
Old 08-07-2010   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That was a really good article. I hope people don't look at "do or die" and think it's "play-offs or bust" meaning Kubiak is fired if it doesn't happen.

Ok, I don't want to turn this into the 3rd annual "What will it take for Kubiak to be fired/keep his job" thread. But come on! What could "do or die" possibly mean other than "play-offs or bust"? Even Kubiak gets that.
Old 08-07-2010   #20
Sluggo
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Sluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respected

The team needs to win a minimum of ten games. Yes the schedule is brutal but the Texans are trying to show they deserve a seat at the adult table. I had no issue bringing Kubiak back for another season. Too often "fire the coach" is a knee jerk reaction. The team has clearly made strides from when he took over and I think blowing everything up and starting over needs to be a last option. Now the team is at a place in its development under Gary Kubiak that termination will be the last option if the team treads water one more season, doesn't improve won/lost record within the division, or goes backwards.
Some people got their shorts in a wad over the fact that McNair extended Kubiak with a multiyear contract, but anyone who follows the league knows that means nothing. It is very difficult for a coach with one year on his contract - basically a "lame duck' with no show of confidence from the owner - to have any credibility within the locker room. McNair, if he was going to keep his head coach around, had to give a multiyear extention. To do anything less would have been unfair; undermining his man.

Regardless of what Kubiak has left on his contract, this is the year. The team clearly makes a leap foreward - schedule be damned - or the house gets cleaned. Again.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read