Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2010   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade Smith game tape breakdown

I don't know if I have time to break down all of his games last year; I will probably give you a glimpse of what I saw. (Yes I had reviewed all of his game tapes last year and a couple from 08 as well.)

Week 7 at LT against the Redskins.

First quarter only.

1-10 Cut block RDE Carter 99 on the back side away from a screen pass. Nice!
2-10 Tried to cut block Carter again on another WR screen, on play side this time.
Too soon and too low and didn’t get the RDE cleanly. Carter batted down the pass. Not good.
3-10 His man dropped back into coverage. Probably should have sliced over to help the LG on Haynesworth rather than outside looking for the safety (who followed the RB out of the backfield.)
92 (Haynie) demolished QB Cassell in the backfield (this one is on the LG, but I would think you want your LT to help here).

…….

1-10 Released to take on the LB 52 McIntosh (good job but not involving in play).
2-9 Bootleg away – NA
3-3 Cut block Haynie on the back side – pretty good but NA; quick pass to RB to the right side.
4-1 Missed the cut block on Haynie, FB smartly went the other way and barely got the first down. Not good.
1-10 Got bull rushed badly by the RDE but got help from the C. Not good.
2-10 Good combo block with TE - NA
3-8 NA as the RDE attacked wide outside on an inside run.

…….

1-10 Got bull rushed badly by 99 Carter but NA – Very bad.
2-15 Missed the cut block completely on the WILL, NA as Cassell threw a quick pass.
Very bad.
3-1 Released and took on the LB 52. Very good.
1-10 Very good block on RDE Carter – NA on the inside run.
2-9 Got beat badly by Carter off the edge. Cassell dumped a quick pass to the RB (loss of one), however.
Carter was very close to get to the QB. Very bad.
3-10 Good block on the RDE on a quick pass play side.
1-10 Got pushed back pretty bad by Carter again but NA.
2-16 Misssed the cut block on RDE Orakpo 98, but NA since it was a quick pass.
At least he made 98 go wide.
3-9 Got shoved back badly by Haynie, but C sliced over to help. NA
(Chiefs ran some trap blocks to counter the big man inside).
4-2 Lost it big time to Carter on the edge.
Carter went around and sacked Cassell, jarring the ball loose;
Redskins recovered the ball.

He would allowed another sack, but I think this about sum up his plays at LT.
He looked pretty bad against the Cowboys as well (but those were the only 2 games he played at LT).
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #2
indiantexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 36 indiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Smith game tape breakdown

Thanks for everything u do 76texan! I really appreciate your game tape breakdowns...looking forward for more.
indiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiantexan View Post
Thanks for everything u do 76texan! I really appreciate your game tape breakdowns...looking forward for more.
I concur... Even if you don't go into a ton of detail, I'd love to hear your impressions of him at guard last season with KC... I've been impressed with what I saw but I don't have your patience to watch every play of a 4-12 team.
Old 08-03-2010   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Rep. Thanks!
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I concur... Even if you don't go into a ton of detail, I'd love to hear your impressions of him at guard last season with KC... I've been impressed with what I saw but I don't have your patience to watch every play of a 4-12 team.
Yes please, especially a game where they got their running game going.

if You have time that is.
Old 08-03-2010   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yes please, especially a game where they got their running game going.

if You have time that is.
On youtube, there is are some lengthy highlight reels of Jamaal Charles. If you look for #74, usually at RG, you can get a good sense of his abilities. He is very quick and athletic and can dominate downfield.

But, it's hard to assess an olineman when you are only looking at clips of long runs.
Old 08-04-2010   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks all for your encouragement!
I'm now working odd schedules 6 days a week.
All of my notes are scattered in 4 different computers, LOL!
And right now, I can't seem to locate my notes on Smith.
I wanted to go through the Denver playbook during the time Kubiak was there as well, and couldn't find it either.

I will try to do a few games before the PS, but there's no guarantee.

At first, I thought about changing my mind and not doing the breakdown on Smith, since some folks may think that I'm a hater (and a Myer's apologist) LOL!

If I do the Cowboys game in which he played LT and the two games against the Chargers (one in 08 and one in 09) at Center, and the game he played at G against the Chargers, a lot of people would probably call me a hater for sure!

But there's a reason why he lost his starting spot at LT in Miami.
In 06, the Jets drafted Ferguson in the first round (#4) to play LT,.
When they sign Smith, obviously he was going to be a backup (which he was; he was also the backup at C for another rookie first rounder Nick Mangold #29 - anybody remember the rumor that the Texans alsmost traded the #1 pick for the Jets two first rounders?).

Smith couldn't even win a starting spot with the Chiefs and played only due to injuries.

But I think he can be an effecitve Guard in the ZBS.
(I'm not ruling out the C position since he hadn't played there much - even though he must have seen a lot of reps there already as a longtime backup).

If you're looking for a very strong guy at the POA, you're not going to find it in Smith.
His attributes as I had mentioned before:
- A willing (and therefore) efficient cut blocker.
- A good blocker on the second level with a good connection rate.
- He's better at pass protection inside where he gets more help from time to time.

I already started on the Chargers game (the one in which he played at G), so I guess I will go ahead and finish it.
I will try to soften down the critics - if I can.

But I must ask for your patience, because line play requires a lot of time.
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2010   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

So...

How much gauranteed money did we pay this guy?
Old 08-05-2010   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 299943 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So...

How much gauranteed money did we pay this guy?
$6.25 mil - $5.25 signing bonus and guaranteed the first year salary of $1 mil.
Old 08-05-2010   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
$6.25 mil - $5.25 signing bonus and guaranteed the first year salary of $1 mil.
If we look at the total contract, I think it's reasonable.

$12 Million for 4 year. And he's a versatile veteran in his prime.
He might have finally settled into a position that fits him in the ZBS.
With Brisiel not being ready (he might even have problem and can't play at 100% from what I read) and the uncertainty of Studdard's play, Smith can be valuable.

He could be given more reps at C as well (if Brisiel can't come back healthy) where we really didn't have a solid backup.
Old 08-05-2010   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Week 12 @ Chargers

1-10 Charles 5 yd run inside RT
Inverted Wishbone formation (the Chiefs ran this a few times).
1 Wide out left, 5 O-linemen, 1 slot right, QB under Center, Two FBs (each on either side, inside the offensive tackles), Charles at HB
Charges in 3-4, with both ends lining up outside the offensive tackles.
LILB #59 Brandon Siler walked up the LOS on the RG Smith, attacked the inside (A gap)
Right FB double team with RT on the LDE, clearing him to the outside.
The movement of the Right FB draw the LOLB to the outside.
Right slot receiver went inside to brush him (the LOLB) then put a great block on the coming safety.
This helped the RG Smith to further contain the LILB to the inside.
Smith had lost a yard to #59 Siler.
Without the good block from the receiver, this play could be dead in the water.
The LOLB came back inside and was about to limit the RB to a one-yd gain, but Charles made him miss with a spin move.
This one was mostly Charles (and include the effectiven double team RT-RFB and a good block from the slot receiver).
Smith = Below average to so so, but not affecting the play.

2-5 Quick pass 8yd to the FB.
Double team with RT – a little iffy.

1-10 Quick pass 6yd to the left wide out (Chargers played back).
Smith good in the pass pro, but the pass was off in just over 1 sec. To a wide-open receiver.

2-4 Charles lost 4 yds on a ZBS run inside RT.
Center got trucked into the running lane. LG also allowed penetration.
Smith released to the second level but couldn’t control #59, who lowered his shoulder into Smith’s chest to turn him around and continued on to the LOS.
Even with a good block from the Center, Charles would have been met by this LB somewhere around the LOS. Smith played too high, bad.

3-8 Cassel was pressured and threw the ball away.
Problem with the RT; Smith wasn’t attacked. NA

PUNT

……

1-10 Screen pass to Charles for 2 yds.
LOL, I don’t know how to describe this, but it looks like Smith was playing for the Chargers.First, Smith was pushed back; Charles had to avoid his legs (almost got tripped) and ended up going too wide outside to turn upfield effectively.
Next, Smith got in the way of the releasing Center.
Then, Smith got in Charles’ way again.
Charles made two guys missed to gain 2 yards.

2-8 Screen pass to FB loosing 2 yards.
Smith NA but looked terrible.
He joined the C in the double team on the LDT and got pushed back, got turned around facing the wrong way some 9yds into the backfield.
And he wasn’t even attacked first.

3-10 Pass left to Wade for 11 yds.
Decent pass pro (got pushed back pretty bad, but regained footing, and dug in).
Pass was off in about 2 secs. OK as long as QB doesn’t hold on to the ball too long.
Otherwise, could be iffy as the LDT got to the inside and ready to go after the QB.

1-10 FB ran for a loss of 2.
Smith released and connected with the LB 54 long enough (the loss was not his fault).
Decent to good.

2-12 Charles ran right end for 3.
Smith released and put a pretty good block on the LB 59.
NA to the play as the C got pushed into the running lane again; Charles had to go outside.

3-9 Pass deflected and intercepted near the side line.
Smith got bull rushed by the LE (in the 3-4) who got to the outside and deflect the pass with his…. HELMET, LOL!
I don’t want to put this on Smith, but IMO, he needed to try to keep the defender to the inside to guard the passing lane. The pass was low, yes definitely, but as a blocker, you do need to guard the passing lane. Oh well.

INT
……….

1-10 Incomplete pass.
Smith was bull rushed by the LE (in the 3-4), who then beat him to the inside, and forced a hurried throw by Cassell, way behind the receiver, almost an INT and a possible pick six.

2-10 Quick pass for 9 yds.
NA for Smith
NT dived into the A-gap to take away the double team for the blitzing LB (blocked by the RB).

3-1 Bootleg, pass deflected by LB Phillips who chased and pressured the QB.
Incomplete. NA for Smith.

PUNT
Old 08-05-2010   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Just so you know, I'm not getting any warm fuzzies from your breakdowns.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
These breakdowns might not really reflect what he's able to do in the ZBS.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like he's done anything to unseat Myers at this point. I guess we'll see how the competition plays out. I missed them Monday, but I'm making it a point to watch them Saturday.
Old 08-05-2010   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Smith couldn't even win a starting spot with the Chiefs and played only due to injuries.
and, Bernard Pollard couldn't even a job on their 53 man roster!
Old 08-05-2010   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
and, Bernard Pollard couldn't even a job on their 53 man roster!
I'm pretty sure it was Pollard's mouth that didn't go well with some of the big honchos.

I did guarantee that a lot of fans would love it when they see Pollard laying wood. I was right, wasn't I?
Old 08-05-2010   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Oh, he will have better games!
Old 08-05-2010   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

2nd quarter

1-10 Quick pass for 14 yds
Smith was OK in double-team with the C.

1-10 Charles ran right end for 10 yds.
Smith got pushed back terribly toward the running lane by the LILB who was attacking the LOS.
Charles cut outside where he got good blockings from the RT, TE and FB.
(half of the gain was on a good spin move that made a defender miss).

1-10 Quick pass incomplete. QB hurried by LOLB.
Smith was bull rushed by LE (looked bad) who stopped in the middle of the pass rush to make sure it wasn’t a draw play to the RB.

2-10 Quick pass to the hot receiver Chambers for 10.
NA for Smith as nobody attacked him.

1-10 Fake reverse to freeze all the LBs in the 4-3; Charles ran right end for 31 yards.
Smith released and was popped by the MLB (from a near stand-still position; ie. No acceleration by the LB; F=M*A; this is pure strength by the LB #54 against (mass * acceleration) by Smith; and some people wants to see him drive Jenkins back, let’s be real now.)
54 ended up making the initial tackle.
Good blockings outside, including from that same WR #80 Wade.
Charles made two guys miss with two wicked cuts (the first one 3 yards beyond the LOS).

1-10 Quick pass to the hot receiver (the FB) for 6.
Smith got beat straight away by the LE who was about to get to the QB.

2-4 Pass incomplete behind receiver.
QB heard footstep as RT got bull-rushed by LOLB.
Smith held off the LE, but not by much. OK

3-4 TD pass 7 yds.
Poor coverage and good move by WR.
Combo blocks inside; defenders weren’t in position to attack.
NA to Smith
Pass off in 2-1/2 secs

TD

…….

1-10 Quick pass the other way for 5 yds.
Excellent cut block by Smith on the LE.
He faked a pass block then dived down quickly, catching the defender off-guard.

2-5 Charles LE for 14 yds.
Good block initially by Smith on the back side on the LB 59 who guarded the back side and played too high (the LB).
NA as the run was away to the other side.
In all honesty, when a G gets under a LB, it should have been demolition derby.
Smith ended up loosing that battle as he stopped driving his feet and let the LB get back under him.
If there was a cut back, it would be for no gain.
Who the heck is Brandon Siler anyway.
OK, so he’s a 240-lb LB who was drafted in 2007 in the 7th round at #240
He finally got to start in 7 games this year due to injury (and played well).

1-10 Charles 5 yd right end from the inverted wishbone.
NA for Smith. He didn’t connect with any defender, but he was of help as he released on the right rhythm.
With better blocking, Charles would have gained more (then Smith would come into play, on the positive side.)

2-5 Pass to right for 11.
Decent pass pro by Smith.
Chiefs with two double teams on the left side.
Cassell stepped up the pocket as he should as the rushes were heavy on the right side to the outside.

1-10 Quick pass to the FB for 3.
Five on 3 blocking – NA for Smith

2-7 Draw play to Charles gained 7 yards, but Charles fumbled the ball.
Good pass block fake by Smith (stepping back), then joined C on a nice combo block before releasing and putting a good 2nd-level block on 54 LB Cooper.

FUMBLE

………

1-10 Chargers blitzed off the edges and forced a fumble by Cassell.
NA to Smith.

FUMBLE
…….

1-10 False start

1-15 Shovel pass to RB Koby for 5.
Smith got beat to the outside right off the bat by the LDT with a club move left handed “a la” Jenkins, then a swim move with the right arm. Smith got away with a chop block from behind as he tried to recover. Cassell scrambled up the middle and quick tossed the ball to the RB.
Luckily, pressures were on both sides and not in the middle.

2-10 Good job on the combo pass block in the middle (3 on 2).
Pass for 8 yards.

3-2 Pocket collapsed on a 4-man rush.
Cassell scrambled up the middle for 1.
Smith wasn’t bad, just a little iffy.

PUNT
Old 08-06-2010   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

3rd qtr

1-10 Charles 3 yd run off RT.
Smith got trucked into the running lane by the LE 74 Cesaire (3-4 Def)but Charles was able to cut outside.
Charles got a decent double-team from the TE & FB and a so-so block by the RT.

2-7 Cassell scrambled for 6.
Broken play, Chiefs got 7 to block 5, but it leaked everywhere.
Smith was in a double team but also allow penetration.

3-1 Bad snap, Chargers recovered the ball.
Good thing for Smith, as he released and completely missed the LB.
No telling if it would become a sack or a big hit on the QB, or what .
The RILB had a straight Bee line to the QB.

………

Chargers led 35-7

1-10 Charles lost one yd on a run.
NA to Smith who was getting ready to pull outside.
Chargers had a CB blitzing right at the POA;
Charles had no choice but to cut inside into the mass.

2-11 Pass to Charles for 31 yds.
Nice catch. Terrible coverage.
Chiefs had max-protect (7 on 4).

1-10 Charles ran left end for 4.
Good cut block by Smith on the back side on the LE.
NA

2-6 LDT pushed Smith badly toward the QB.
Cassell hurried the throw. Almost another pick six.

3-6 Quick pass for 9 yds.
Smith got blown into the backfield by the LB (#59??)

1-10 Draw play for no gain.
Smith in combo block – NA

2-10 Quick pass for 14.
Smith in combo blocks.

1 and goal at the 4
Toss sweep left side TD.
Smith – NA on the back side.
He released and neutralized a LB Dobbins 51 (whoever that was).
Dobbins saw the play away and never attempted to enter the fray.

….

Chargers led 38-14

1-10 Incomplete pass to TE Pope in the middle. Cassell had some time, but simply missed the throw
Smith got bull rushed by LDT 74 Cesaire (4 man over front), pushed back 8-9 yds in the backfield, but got help from C. Without help, the LDT would be somewhere in the running lane in front of the QB.

2-10 Cassell scrambled left end for 6
Not sure if Smith got help from RT at first against LDT Travis Johnson (in the bull rush) or not,
But as the RT turned outside looking to help the TE pass block, Smith got help from the C (who initially was in the double team with the LG on the NT).
Still, TJ was able to jump up with hand stretch out like a Center in basketball attempting to block a shot).
With 2 secs, Cassell couldn’t step up the pocket, so he pulled the ball back and scrambled to the left side for 6.
I can’t say if that was bad blocking on Smith’s part or not, but it certainly wasn’t good.

3-4 Offsides Chargers

1-10 Cassell scrambled outside LG for 9
LOLB (3-4 D) beat the TE and chased the QB.
Initially, Smith was in double team with RT on the LE, until the RT turned to help the RB picking up the blitzing LILB.
The LE put a spin move on Smith and turn toward the inside ready to pound on the QB as he tried to scramble upfield.
Luckily, the C came off the double-team (with the LG on the NT) to block.
Smith needs to finish his block (he could have) and to play hard until the whistle blows.

2-1 Charles ran left end for 7.
On the back side, Smith started out looking to help the RT to seal off the LE.
But as the LE went outside, Smith released and impeded the CB long enough to prevent him from chasing the play. Good execution.
Charles looked to lose a couple of yards, but he put a stiff arm on the LB to avoid the tackle.

1-10 Quick pass to the RB Charles for 3.
Smith was OK in the middle of the 3-2 combo block on the right side.

2-7 Incomplete pass right side to WR 83
I was about to say good pick up by Smith on the blitzing LB then realized that 54 Cooper jumped up and deflect the pass (Oh well).

3-7 Incompleted pass. Ball was a little low and dropped by the receiver who may or may not get the first down. Smith was OK in pass block on the LDT (4 man Under front), good enough to allow the QB to throw the ball quickly.
But he was about to get beat to the inside, which may become iffy if the QB has to hold on to the ball longer.

4-7 Bad snap. Cassell fumbled and again, the Charger recovered the ball.
Nobody attacked Smith – NA

….
Old 08-06-2010   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

4th Qtr
LT fumbled, Chiefs got the ball back at their 4yd line.

1-10 Pass incompleted to FB Castille.
Cassell had to throw the ball away as the RB got beat by the blitz.
Smith was good in the pass block against the NT 98 Scott (who thought the C would block him and wasn’t looking).

2-10 Charles 5 yd run inside LG.
Smith in double team with C on the NT Scott.
He did his job holding the block long enough.
But if he was stronger, the C could have slip out sooner on the LB, giving Charles more room to run. Actually, Scott got through the combo block shortly after the C released.I don’t want to be critical here, but if we want to see how strong Smith is close to the POA, one must look closely.

The report on Scott’s weigh is all over the place (different sources), but there was a good shot after the play to allow some guess-timation.
He’s somewhere as big as the Chiefs linemen (74 Smith, 76 and 64) .
Scott (302) looked smaller than the C Rudy (301 lbs per wikipedia) but with a bigger belly.
Scott looked about the same as Smith (but with a bigger belly)
Scott definitely looke smaller than Cesaire (295) and Boone (305) (Both are Les for the Chargers)
Yet Smith is listed at 310 by wikipedia.
Scott’s weigh aside, he was released by the Chargers in June (after a one-year stint; its was the fourth time in his career that he was released).

3-5 Intentional grounding by Cassell in the end zone. Safety.
Poor communication on the left side; nobody picked up the blitzing LB who was on the LOS.
He came in untouched and forced the QB to dump the ball.
Smith NA as he wasn’t being attacked.

Chargers played keep away.
Chiefs got the ball back one more time and turned it over on downs.
Garbage time. Smith was NA pretty much.
Old 08-06-2010   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Oh, he will have better games!
So you were being facetious....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read