Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2010   #1
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Backup QB situation

How do you guys/gals feel about this? Based on what I've read Dan O. isn't coming along like we'd like and Booty isn't either. What you guys think about this position?

EDIT: I know no games have been played, but just looking for a general overall feeling on this spot.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Backup QB situation

knocks on wood

Well i hope Matt can play all 20 games ......and only get off the field for garbage time LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #3
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be more concerned if I didn't think our running game was going to be significantly better.

So let's all hope I'm right and our run game is going to be significantly better.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've heard Dan has worked hard and seems pretty motivated to improve upon last year's performance. Obviously TC and preseason will be a big opportunity for him to prove it.

I don't think he has to come in and light it up as much as show he's got a good grasp on the offense, can simply get the ball the the playmakers, and show he can be a competent replacement.

If not I think the FO would look for a veteran backup who can get the job done.

If Dan doesn't impress it just is another line of concern for this FO's ability to scout pro free agents.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #5
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

To be honest I don't particularly care who the backup is.

If Schaub goes down the team is screwed as most if not all other teams in the NFL would be if their starter went down.

Not too many times are you going to luck into having a Brady to take over your team and lead it to glory.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #6
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it probably won't happen, but I would really like them to bring back Sage. He knows the offense already and could step in to that role just fine. Yes, we've had the "Rosencopter" to deal with, but for the most part, he's served in the back-up role well.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #7
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of Sage, not going so well in Minnesota.

Quote:
During offseason workouts, Vikings quarterback Sage Rosenfels appeared to disappear from the depth chart, getting limited reps.

As it turns out, there are worse things than getting limited reps in the offseason.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune points out that Rosenfels threw six interceptions between Saturday night and Sunday practices. A seventh was dropped by linebacker Heath Farwell.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...age-rosenfels/

Quote:
MANKATO -- Sage Rosenfels insisted Friday that the whole Brett Favre situation and the fact that Rosenfels eventually might be the odd man out is something that he isn't thinking about.

However, after watching Rosenfels in the past two practices, it's pretty clear something isn't right. Rosenfels was picked off four times in the night practice on Saturday and threw two more interceptions in Sunday's single practice. He nearly had a third pass picked off but linebacker Heath Farwell could not hold onto the ball.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said after Sunday's practice that it's a double-edged sword when it comes to breaking down Rosenfels' play.

"We want [our quarterbacks] to be extremely aggressive because you want to be able to see what they can do and what the wide receiver or tight end they are throwing it to can do," Childress said. "Now, do you want them to take care of the ball with all of that said? Yeah, I don’t want them to nurse it around. ... I certainly don’t like the fact that he’s had balls intercepted and taken the other way.

"You look to try and explain it. Is it because you are doing it just the way we asked you to and try and stick a ball out there to a guy to see where he’s at? We’re also asking him to play down and distance football because we don’t ever practice a play that doesn’t have a down or a distance on it. I would like to see the interceptions come back."

The issue for the Vikings is that they need Rosenfels to have a good camp because that could help increase his trade value. If and when Favre returns, it seems logical the Vikings would try to deal Rosenfels to a team that realizes it needs help at quarterback. Best case scenario would be for the Vikings to get a conditional draft pick for Rosenfels that would be determined by how much he played for another team.

However, if he continues to struggle in camp, and eventually in preseason games, that is going to make it tough to get much in return.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...9cP3DieyckcUsI
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2010   #8
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Someone posted yesterday that he might be traded (not the same link though). If we can get him for nothing, I'd pick him back up. I think he's definately better than Dan-O or JDB. Hell, what's a good back-up worth these days in draft pick value? We got a 4th for him, IIRC. I'd give up a 6th to get him back......possibly a late 5th. Piece of mind in that position is a big thing. He may not be the best, but I think he'd be the best we have.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #9
killerkev
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Someone posted yesterday that he might be traded (not the same link though). If we can get him for nothing, I'd pick him back up. I think he's definately better than Dan-O or JDB. Hell, what's a good back-up worth these days in draft pick value? We got a 4th for him, IIRC. I'd give up a 6th to get him back......possibly a late 5th. Piece of mind in that position is a big thing. He may not be the best, but I think he'd be the best we have.

Agreed. Rosen-copter is a much better choice @ backup position.
Please come back to Houston.
killerkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage nearly led this team to a victory over the Colts until he let the Rosencopter loose...
Might not be a bad addition for QB depth.
Old 08-02-2010   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Sage nearly led this team to a victory over the Colts until he let the Rosencopter loose...
Might not be a bad addition for QB depth.
As long as we have another QB to finish the game.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #12
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
knocks on wood

Well i hope Matt can play all 20 games ......and only get off the field for garbage time LOL
I like this!!!!
Old 08-02-2010   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Colt Brennan is coming....ok now that I got your attention....
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #14
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

anyone remember the jacksonville game when matt went down and the offense went splut (in sound and on the field) I do. and Yes I am worried.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I know it probably won't happen, but I would really like them to bring back Sage. He knows the offense already and could step in to that role just fine. Yes, we've had the "Rosencopter" to deal with, but for the most part, he's served in the back-up role well.
Except he is way to reckless. I had enough of his crazy ass.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read