Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McNair Declares AJ Will Be Rewarded

Chris Mortensen Twitter 2 hours ago:

Quote:
On Texans, owner Bob McNair made it clear he's going to reward Andre Johnson w a huge contract soon. I'd say by preseason opener Aug. 14
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair Declares AJ Will Be Rewarded

Wow. I heard him say they were going to "take care of him" but I have trouble believing they're going to rip up his contract and just dump a ton of money on him. I love Andre, but that seems like a dangerous precedent to set.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Wow. I heard him say they were going to "take care of him" but I have trouble believing they're going to rip up his contract and just dump a ton of money on him. I love Andre, but that seems like a dangerous precedent to set.
Sorry, but I disagree. Any one that performs at his level consistently needs to be compensated for it. That's how you buld a team that the best want to play for. AJ is the best in the biz and has proved it. If another player proves they are the best at their position, pay em.
Old 07-31-2010   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. Any one that performs at his level consistently needs to be compensated for it. That's how you buld a team that the best want to play for. AJ is the best in the biz and has proved it. If another player proves they are the best at their position, pay em.
While I don't disagree in principle, the problem is: whose definition of "best in the biz" do you use?

If you're lucky enough to field a team of stars, quite a few of them will likely be claiming they're the best in the biz when they're really not.
Old 07-31-2010   #5
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I don't disagree in principle, the problem is: whose definition of "best in the biz" do you use?

If you're lucky enough to field a team of stars, quite a few of them will likely be claiming they're the best in the biz when they're really not.
Best in the biz

-noun
1. A wide receiver with the most yards and receptions in the NFL two years in a row.

2. Any wide receiver whose name is often mentioned in the same sentence as Jerry Rice.

3. Andre Lamont Johnson.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #6
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Best in the biz

-noun
1. A wide receiver with the most yards and receptions in the NFL two years in a row.

2. Any wide receiver whose name is often mentioned in the same sentence as Jerry Rice.

3. Andre Lamont Johnson.
Nice! Thank you!
Old 07-31-2010   #7
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's always important to consider the precedent set by reneged contracts, but I think this one is justified. The best WR in the league shouldn't let his prime years be compensated with average money. An owner needs to keep his best players happy within the confines of reasonable business.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2010   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Face of the franchise and seems like the kind of guy that would be willing to play for your team until retirement... which can be a good long time from now if he continues to stay healthy.

Lock him up.. first Texan in the HOF.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #9
Sluggo
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Sluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respectedSluggo is a quality contributor and well respected

Under normal circumstances a team would be setting a bad precedent by ripping up a contract with five years remaining on it, but Andre is anything but "normal" for a couple of different reasons. One is his obvious out-of-this-world talent, the other is the humble demeanor and professionalism with which he carries himself.
As far as precedent's go, the Texans seem to be setting a good one by letting their players know that if they perform at a high level there is a good chance they will be rewarded. DeMeco Ryans showed up at the OTAs a couple years ago, reported to camp and was rewarded with a new contract. We see the same thing happening now with Andre. This is a nice departure from what is currently happening in San Diego with several of their key players and NY with Darrell Revis.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
I think this one is justified. The best WR in the league shouldn't let his prime years be compensated with average money. An owner needs to keep his best players happy within the confines of reasonable business.
Couldn't agree more with everything quoted.

Just sayin'.....I can see a long line of Pay-me-Rick/Pay-me-like-Andre in the not too distant future...

The other team owners might actually object to simply tearing up the contract and starting over because of the precedent it sets for their players, too.
Old 08-01-2010   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

The only precedent I see being established here is that players who keep their heads down and do their job to perfection WILL be awarded by the good owners. Good behaviour and hard work beats drama and dumb-ass episodes in nightclubs

Last edited by Malloy; 08-01-2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: speeling
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #12
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3733 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Not saying anything that hasn't already been said. If you bring your l.unch box to work and keep your nose to the grindstone everyday and prove that you are indeed one of the top performers if not the top performer in the league, you shall be rewarded. AJ is the consumate professional, model citizen and easily a roll model that any parent/coach would want their child/player follow. I bet you that there isn't a NFL fan in the country that could provide one valid negative comment about AJ. Hell, I'm in DC & Baltimore right now this week and every time someone sees my Texans shirt they tell me what a stud he is on the field and how you never hear anything negative about him.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if the non-CBA non-cap situation also somehow plays into the justification and uniqueness of this move.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #14
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Wonder if the non-CBA non-cap situation also somehow plays into the justification and uniqueness of this move.
I think it very well could. They could pay him a big bonus this year and make it a friendly number in future years.
Old 08-01-2010   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know. Is he worth it?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #16
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

If the NFL isn't able to get the salary cap back after this uncapped year it will ruin the NFL. Just take a look at baseball. Dallas would be like the Yankees of MLB. I don't think I could stomach that.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #17
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Best in the biz

-noun

3. Andre Lamont Johnson.
That's the one in my dictionary also...
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in favor of this. I could write a whole bunch of words in a long paragraph but it would all boil down to: Andre Johnson is worth keeping.
Old 08-01-2010   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'm in favor of this. I could write a whole bunch of words in a long paragraph but it would all boil down to: Andre Johnson is worth keeping.
No.

It all boils down to: Andre Johnson is worth keeping HAPPY.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #20
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this move a lot for a few reasons. First, AJ took the pay cut to help the FO build this team into a contender and now he's being paid and second, McNair, as I remember it, was always an advocate for playing without a salary cap and this, if everything gets signed off on, will be his first chance to really put his money where his mouth is (pun very much intended).
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read