Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2010   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Eric Winston interview

This might be my favorite blog post of the off-season:

The Eric Winston interview: Answering all the Texans' questions...

Tried to ask some things I hadn't seen elsewhere and some things that people are interested in The discussion of offensive linemen tipping run/pass I thought was particularly interesting.

Enjoy.
Old 07-29-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25261 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston interview

Great read Steph. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2010   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My high school football coach always said running the ball is like "pounding concrete". Basically meaning that, you can hit the concrete ten times and it might not budge but on the eleventh, you might crack it. After a few more swings, you will break through. Coach Dennison seems to have that mentality about him
I guess we now know why Kubiak runs the ball 25+ times even if he's only getting 2 yards a pop
Old 07-29-2010   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Great interview! Definitely more informative than what we normally get from players in the off-season. Thanks
Old 07-29-2010   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Steph, have I mentioned that you are the best, ever?? Awesome!!!
Old 07-29-2010   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Concrete analogy has to look at what one is hitting the concrete with...this season we have some tools.
2."tipping" the defense is not whether OL is in up or down stance, but small "tells" like foot placement or leaning forward or back.
3. Slow start? After TC and 4 pre-season games I doubt it is where team practices. I think it is up to the vets like Winston to make sure younger guys are focused and the other vets are stepping up to be game ready.
4. Swagger means going full throttle 4 quarters even if you are ahead in score.
Old 07-29-2010   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks TC!

What do you think of Grove's claim, and how do offensive line players guard against tipping off what the play is going to be?

Eric: I think if you studied every player in the league, offense or defense, you would find tips. That's what film study is all about. Obviously, you never want that to happen but I think its one of those things that does happens. (I also think if you completely believe him than you are crazy. If he knew every play, they would have stopped a little more.)

It was just Groves shooting his mouth off.
I went back and checked all the plays.
Both Winston and Brown varried their stances in both running and passing plays.
Everything was very random, from setting up closer or further from the line to their foot stance.

Groves was full of B.S.!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read