Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-25-2010   #1
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McNair-Passion for the Game

Good interview with McNair. Gives some insight about who he likes as players and Kubes. I know Justice isn't one of the favorite reporters for the chron but this article wasn't too bad.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7123595.html
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair-Passion for the Game

I'm hoping it'll rub off on Mario (Williams). If Mario could develop that kind of intensity with his athletic ability, oh my goodness.

"And you've got Amobi (Okoye), who is just an outstanding person, but he doesn't have that tiger in him yet. But he's young, and as he matures, I think he will become a little more intense."

Seems like Mr. Mcnair has been reading our Mario, You Suck threads and noticed how Mario responds to them.

Amobi, that's not fans talking. That's the man that writes your checks.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I'm hoping it'll rub off on Mario (Williams). If Mario could develop that kind of intensity with his athletic ability, oh my goodness.

"And you've got Amobi (Okoye), who is just an outstanding person, but he doesn't have that tiger in him yet. But he's young, and as he matures, I think he will become a little more intense."

Seems like Mr. Mcnair has been reading our Mario, You Suck threads and noticed how Mario responds to them.

Amobi, that's not fans talking. That's the man that writes your checks.
It is statements like these..........."a LITTLE more intense??????".........."a little more intense is supposed to make the difference? These types of sad expectations contribute to why can't get the most out of many players......and still hang on to them forever. I hope that Amobi turns up the burners, but it won't happen because he becomes "a LITTLE more intense."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #4
Austrian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2061 Austrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respected

What happened to Richard Justice? I really enjoyed reading his last few articles.
Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #5
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks. Good read, Doc. I hope they post this and make it required reading to the entire team and they respond. 33 players with Cush's passion, look out NFL. Sadly I think passion is one of those things that come from within and are either there or it's not. Hopefully, it can be instilled and Mr. McNair's words can bring it out. I hope so.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

From the article:

Quote:
When the season ended, though, McNair extended Kubiak's contract for two years, through 2012.

"I think No. 1, he has the passion," McNair said. "Yet he is a very humble guy. He doesn't try to put blame on other people. If anything — and I've talked to him about it — I thought he was taking too much of the heat, and he was trying to deflect it off of his players. If you keep saying it enough — 'it's my fault, it's my fault' — after a while people start saying, 'Maybe it was.'

"It wasn't his fault, but he didn't want to say where the fault might lie.
He's not going to point his finger at someone else. ... (The players) appreciate it, and they play hard for him."
Hmmm ....
Old 07-25-2010   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

While I agree with much of what McNair said, I'm not sure he is the one to say it. People are who they are. Bernard Pollard is Bernard Pollard because he is Bernard Pollard. Amobi Okoye won't suddenly morph into Bernard Pollard.

It's the coach's job to maximize the players' talents. To give a pat on the back, or a kick in the seat. Whatever the situation calls for. It's the owners job to select the right coach, and pay the players who produce. Speak softly, and carry a big checkbook. I don't want Bob McNair to become a Drayton "What have you done to become a champion today?" McLane.
Old 07-25-2010   #8
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [PFT] Cushing still a favorite of Texans owner

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-texans-owner/

Linebacker Brian Cushing brought the Texans and the league's PED problems plenty of unwanted attention this offseason, not to mention a major hole in Houston's lineup to open the season.

That hasn't dimmed Texans owner Bob McNair's enthusiasm for last year's Defensive Rookie of the Year, however. McNair sees Cushing as the ideal Houston Texan.

"Everybody I've talked to -- strength coaches, assistant coaches, what have you -- say Brian Cushing is the hardest-working athlete they've ever worked with, that his workouts are so strenuous that no one could compare," McNair told Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle.

Asked what he's learned in nine years of being owner, McNair essentially said he needs to find more Cushings. And fewer guys like David Carr.

"Maybe in the case of David Carr, that was probably the one thing we overlooked," McNair said. "I think David enjoyed the game, but I don't think he has that real burning desire, that passion, that not only do I want to play, but I want to be the very best at this position."

Cushing is the exact opposite, according to McNair: "There's not anybody on that field more intense than Brian, and the players know that," McNair said.

The Texans couldn't stand behind Cushing any stronger. They recognize he will be a huge part of the franchise for years to come and see his suspension as a temporary setback. McNair, in fact, hopes that Cushing's intensity rubs off on Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye.

Well, starting in Week Five at least.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #9
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

that was a good read, intensity would help
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #10
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It is statements like these..........."a LITTLE more intense??????".........."a little more intense is supposed to make the difference? These types of sad expectations contribute to why can't get the most out of many players......and still hang on to them forever. I hope that Amobi turns up the burners, but it won't happen because he becomes "a LITTLE more intense."

Hopefully Mario and Amobi are bright enough to get the message.

If the players don't understand what McNair was saying without him raising his voice, then they are hopeless indeed.

McNair said all that needs to be said, no ranting, no raving, no throwing players under the bus. That is up to the coaches, not the owner. In fact I imagine the coaches will take McNairs comments to heart. A little motivation perhaps.

I've stated before on this site that I think Mario, so far, has been a very over rated player by many here. The guy just doesn't seem motivated to me. But that is just one mans opinion.

Amobe, well it's time to stop giving him a pass because of his age. Time to grow up. Almost a bust, but we'll see what this year brings.

Personally I don't think the D would miss a beat without either one of them.
Sad to say about two high draft picks.

Refreshing to be talking about football for a change.

Old 07-25-2010   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Intensity starts at the top so this is a good sign that the Texans will play with more passion & sense of urgency
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #12
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Love McNair, but don't like the message he is sending by putting a guy who is suspended for the first four games of the season as the model for other players to follow...when taking performance-enhancing substances, it is no wonder you are more intense on the field and during workouts...
Old 07-25-2010   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
While I agree with much of what McNair said, I'm not sure he is the one to say it. People are who they are. Bernard Pollard is Bernard Pollard because he is Bernard Pollard. Amobi Okoye won't suddenly morph into Bernard Pollard.

It's the coach's job to maximize the players' talents. To give a pat on the back, or a kick in the seat. Whatever the situation calls for. It's the owners job to select the right coach, and pay the players who produce. Speak softly, and carry a big checkbook. I don't want Bob McNair to become a Drayton "What have you done to become a champion today?" McLane.
Totally agree. If McNair wants the players to stay united and keep concerns within the lockerroom, then he shouldn't be airing out his concerns, and singling out players as not doing enough. I'm not sure if we have the total quote in context, but I think this is a distraction.

Mario Williams is going to be due for a contract. Do you really want to disgruntle him before the Brinks truck is going to have to roll up??

Players are who they are. Andre Johnson isn't going to turn into a non-quiet guy, and to expect Mario Williams from a small town in North Carolina to turn into a mouthy guy like Pollard isn't going to happen.

It makes me think of the Kareem Abdul Jabbar scene in Airplane where he blows up about people who things he doesn't show enough hustle. Williams had a messed up shoulder last year but didn't miss a game. And according to PFF (a source I don't trust on a lot of stuff, but probably would be okay and seeing what players are in the game at defensive line), Williams had among the most snaps in the league at 4-3 defensive end. About 150 more than Peppers, 100 more than Schobel. He had around the same number of snaps as a very mouth guy in Jared Allen, but Allen also has tons more help on the line. You try to show mouthy, hyped-up intensity for 950 defensive snaps where you are the largest part of the sack totals for the team.

McNair not being helpful in essence equating Carr to Williams, Okoye, even if it is true.
Old 07-25-2010   #14
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 68516 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think McNair was saying he hoped Andre would turn into a non-quiet guy or that Mario would become a mouthy guy. I think what he was implying that certain players' on-field "PLAY" become more intense, not their personality traits. Andre is a very intense WR, and shows it through his play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpWqMqrZwTU He can be as quiet as he wants to be, it doesn't affect his play.

Mario and Amobe have all the physical abilities to dominate at their positions. They just lack that intangible known as "heart" or "passion" that some players like Cush or Pollard have. Players in all sports tend to bring their passion level up in contract years, so it seems to be something that can be controlled. "Quiet" guys like Mario and Amobe should continue being non-mouthy while on the field, but use their God-given talents with an intensity level like that of Cush or Pollard.
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #15
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

I agree. While it's great to have an owner that's involved and knows what's going on, there's a danger here in calling people out, which is what he praises Kubiak for NOT doing. There's a fine line.

And, I agree with with someone else on here said: As much as I like Cushing, let's be real - dude is out because of steroids. Let's be careful in putting him on a pedistal at this point in time.

It's sort of like the "Wide Recievers are always arrogant" argument I'm always hearing. No, they're not. Andre isn't. In fact, he's somewhat boring. And that's ok. Andre is Andre. He comes in, does his job to the best of his ability, is a great team make, and goes home. I am fine with that.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Totally agree. If McNair wants the players to stay united and keep concerns within the lockerroom, then he shouldn't be airing out his concerns, and singling out players as not doing enough. I'm not sure if we have the total quote in context, but I think this is a distraction.

Mario Williams is going to be due for a contract. Do you really want to disgruntle him before the Brinks truck is going to have to roll up??

Players are who they are. Andre Johnson isn't going to turn into a non-quiet guy, and to expect Mario Williams from a small town in North Carolina to turn into a mouthy guy like Pollard isn't going to happen.

It makes me think of the Kareem Abdul Jabbar scene in Airplane where he blows up about people who things he doesn't show enough hustle. Williams had a messed up shoulder last year but didn't miss a game. And according to PFF (a source I don't trust on a lot of stuff, but probably would be okay and seeing what players are in the game at defensive line), Williams had among the most snaps in the league at 4-3 defensive end. About 150 more than Peppers, 100 more than Schobel. He had around the same number of snaps as a very mouth guy in Jared Allen, but Allen also has tons more help on the line. You try to show mouthy, hyped-up intensity for 950 defensive snaps where you are the largest part of the sack totals for the team.

McNair not being helpful in essence equating Carr to Williams, Okoye, even if it is true.

I don't see a problem with what he did. What is Mario going to do? Either, he will set out to prove him wrong and be more intense or he will continue doing what he's doing. I don't see how those relatively benign comments would lead to a holdout, inability to re-sign him, or a dropoff in his production. Now, if he starts calling these guys out with some regularity or with some malice, then it would become a problem.

In the end, the shift in what kind of player the organization wants to represent them is very good for the football product... Bernard Pollard, Brian Cushing instead of David Carr, and Amobi Okoye.
Old 07-25-2010   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
McNair is a little more intense about only one thing.

How about those leather season ticket holders.

Cheap B******

Talk Talk Talk

Aint crap, How about we talk about the playoffs Uncle BoB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #18
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I agree. While it's great to have an owner that's involved and knows what's going on, there's a danger here in calling people out, which is what he praises Kubiak for NOT doing. There's a fine line.

And, I agree with with someone else on here said: As much as I like Cushing, let's be real - dude is out because of steroids. Let's be careful in putting him on a pedistal at this point in time.

It's sort of like the "Wide Recievers are always arrogant" argument I'm always hearing. No, they're not. Andre isn't. In fact, he's somewhat boring. And that's ok. Andre is Andre. He comes in, does his job to the best of his ability, is a great team make, and goes home. I am fine with that.
Is there any further proof of that claim? Just wondering
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels

Last edited by devo-x; 07-25-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: syntax
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Intensity starts at the top so this is a good sign that the Texans will play with more passion & sense of urgency
Yeah, Lets hope this happens.

So far 9 yrs and counting.

McNair's sense of urgency and mine are stratospheres apart.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I know this will be impossible to stop, but I cannot stand all the misinformation people spread. Cushing was not busted for steroids! He was busted for hCG.(human chorionic gonadotropin). Here is some info from a blog done by Texans Chick in the chron.

Quote:
HCG is not a steroid masking agent. Masking agents try to hide unnatural steroid in the body. HCG is listed in the steroid policy as a "hormone"and not in the section of the policy relating to masking agents. It is a prohibited substance under the policy because it is something that can be related to steroid use. Steroid users try to use hCG to make sure that their body continues to make natural testosterone and to prevent their testicles from shrinking from steroids.

Because it is a hormone that can be found in the human body, it can also be manufactured in natural ways. A rise in HCG is what is used by pregnancy kits to determine if a woman is pregnant. Its presence can also be a marker of some tumors.

Brian Cushing's appeal was based in part on demonstrating that he had a medical condition consistent with natural hCG production.

From John McClain's report:

"He had a pre-existing medical condition (involving an enlarged pituitary gland) that was consistent with the natural production of hCG in males," Steinberg said. "They came out in the hearing, and they were documented.

"We learned that he had a particular medical condition that was consistent with natural production in the body of this banned substance. We felt with the low levels at which it tested was also consistent with natural production.

"We did research and found out that his was a plausible explanation. We consulted an expert who suggested further testing. We became convinced that this was a situation that was naturally produced."

Brian Cushing completely denies taking a banned substance.

From his opening statement at the press conference:

"Since being suspended by the league for a non-steroidal banned substance, I denied then and continue now that I ever took a substance banned by the National Football League."

Later he spoke of neither "ingesting or injecting" any substances, but I don't think much should be read into any of that.
Maybe I'm being totally naive, but I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know that most of the professional athletes that have denied taking steroids have been proven to be lying, but I just think Cush is too much of a health geek (packaged meals, hyperbaric therapy, etc..) to do this, and until it is proven beyond any shadow of doubt, I will give him the benefit. I just wish other Texans fans would not spread false information.

Sorry for the rant!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read