Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2005   #121
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I didn't say they were morons. I said they were anti-Wand. I don't think you can argue that they aren't very high on him.
Ok, morons was too strong. I am not as high on Dom Davis as most of you guys are. That doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about because I am not in the larger opinion segment. We all have a different POV.
Quote:
You're right, we could argue if there's is a good evaluation though. That's what this board does far better than talk radio.

The reason I first came on this board was to see if everyone thought like they did on the post game show. As a poster said a little while ago, this board has many very thoughtful posters. I think you get much more balanced discussion here. You also get to hear more than one sided rhetoric, if you care to read differing opinions.
Every form of media has its limitations, including message boards. You give your thoughts, I give mine. It's all good.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #122
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. I was hoping against all common sense that the Heisman voters would think outside the box and give the award to the most dominant player in college footbal regardless of position. They didn't.
Perhaps they overreacted the next year and gave it to a DB (another very non traditional position for such an award) who was clearly less derserving than the QB who finished right behind him ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #123
Dunta_23
All Pro

Default trade

Im not saying that this trade is a bad idea, because anytime u have a chance to bring in a top LT its key, but a lot of people on this board seem to think that draft pics in the 20's are bad picks....and that u can just give them away...Just look at the Rams last year, they got the best RB in the draft @ # 24 i believe....lots of amazing players come out of the late 1st round...and way deeper...I still think its a good trade but 200 and 2007 1st round picks are going to become great players.
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #124
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
Im not saying that this trade is a bad idea, because anytime u have a chance to bring in a top LT its key, but a lot of people on this board seem to think that draft pics in the 20's are bad picks....and that u can just give them away...Just look at the Rams last year, they got the best RB in the draft @ # 24 i believe....lots of amazing players come out of the late 1st round...and way deeper...I still think its a good trade but 200 and 2007 1st round picks are going to become great players.

The Rams got Julius Jones? when did that happen? :heh

Trading two 1st rounders...
Old 03-15-2005   #125
Dunta_23
All Pro

Default Steven Jackson

some ppl say Julius Jones may be better, I still think Steven Jackson is
Old 03-15-2005   #126
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

expect him to get around a 7 year deal worth around 50 million with at least 13 million in signning bonus money or gaurunteed money.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #127
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Absolutely first round picks are important stuff but "1st round picks are going to become great players" is a bit sweeping if you ask me. I got a list about a mile long of first round picks that didn't do squat. We've drafted well but it's impossible to be 100% in the draft, even in the first round. Hell, it's impossible to be 100% even in the top ten. Draft picks are chances to get a great player. Here in the Pace deal we're looking at giving up two chances for one sure thing.

That's what it comes down to for me. A sure thing, can't miss player who can instantly change the Texans offense for the better. You can't draft a single person this year who could come into our team and have the kind of effect Pace can have.

Lastly I ask anyone who's got real reservations about this deal to consider one thing. Do you like David Carr? Do you think he's going to be a good'un? Are you sick of seeing him running for his life and climbing up off the ground with pieces of turf sticking out of his facemask? If all that's true then what other move could the Texans possibly make that would be better than grabbing Pace from the Rams?

The offense appears mostly set. No more rookie starters and the only thing left causing a problem is the offensive line. Hello? Orlando Pace anybody? The defense is mostly set too. Last year we added 3 rookies starters and they're going to get better. The holes aren't like they were in 2002-2003. We've got some depth and we've got some players. Pace isn't going to gut this team like he might have done a few years ago. He's not going to prevent this team from growing and he's not asking (apparently) for some amazing stupid god-awful amount of money like his (former) agents were talking three years ago. He ain't cheap of course but he's not going to destroy our ability to manage the cap single handedly.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2005   #128
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post Herv. Here is a nice piece by Len Pastabelly that relates to your argument that first round draft picks are not always going to pan out.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #129
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Pace is one of the best LTs in the league, he has won a super bowl and played in five pro bowls. Now look at who we are playing on the o line, is there anyone on our line with those kind of credentals? Looking at the draft class for this year and next year, besides D'Brickshaw Fergason(maybe) there are no LTs who are in the same class as him. But the way that we are trying to make a playoff push, Fergason will be gone. If we have a chance to get a guy like this who can play at a pro bowl level for the next 5-6 years, we should jump on the opportunity like it was the last chopper out of Nam.

Last edited by F-minus67; 03-15-2005 at 03:28 PM.
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #130
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I found it interesting that the Pace rumors have started a 5 page thread over at the Jaguars boards:

Jags Pace Topic
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #131
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I found it interesting that the Pace rumors have started a 5 page thread over at the Jaguars boards:

Jags Pace Topic

And this of course means pretty much nothing (as does our own 400+ post thread(s) on this subject) but it's a fun read. How good is Pace? He's so good that there are knee jerks over there talking about "3rd place for the Jags after this move"

Give the Rams the two #1's, get the big guy into camp on time, and lets go smack some people around.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #132
Xman
Veteran

I will be very happy if we can add Pace for #13, Wand, Sharper and maybe a 3rd.

Our offense has 2 major weak spots and a couple of questionable spots.
Our major weak spots on offense are LOT and 2nd WR; our iffy areas are TE (waiting on Joppru who I think will bust) and OG (I think Pace makes these guys better by being here).

So, if we add Pace - then can add a quality WR (in the 2nd rd or FA? - McClaine speculated we were going to take a WR with our 1st pick, so we probably look at that with our 2nd pick now), our offense will be close to complete machine. I would love that - it would be nice to know that when you are down by 4 with 2 minutes to go, you can win if you get the ball back - teams like Indy/NE/Philly/GB KNOW they can win if they get the ball back - teams like AZ/NO/TB/Balt know they are in trouble if it comes down to that.
I would like to be in the category where we know we can score when we have to.

True, our D still needs work. But, we are still a young team and hopefully we can round that out next year.

So, please give up #13, Wand, Sharper, etc. to make the deal - it is the only way we are going to get a stud OLT - the rest (WR/OLB/DE) we can get later or next year if we have to.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #133
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

The way that the Jaqs fan are talking, you would think that Pace already had a press confrence and held up a Texans jersey. Not to mention that they are freaking out.
Old 03-15-2005   #134
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The Brown took Tim Couch (#1), Courtney Brown (#1), Gerard Warren (#3), and William Green (#16) all in the first round. Not one of them panned out. The draft is truly a lottery, some win and some lose.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #135
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Pace is a free agent next year if a deal is not struck. If the Texans are smart for lining up a deal now. This way they can meet and have terms worked out. If Pace becomes a free agent, then at least he is familar with the names and faces of the Texans organization and he has taken the tour.
Old 03-15-2005   #136
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Pace is a free agent next year if a deal is not struck. If the Texans are smart for lining up a deal now. This way they can meet and have terms worked out. If Pace becomes a free agent, then at least he is familar with the names and faces of the Texans organization and he has taken the tour.
The Rams arent stupid,they will franchise tag him, just like they have done for the past couple of years. Hes franchised now. If he plays for the Rams this year, he is going to have a long term contract with them.
Old 03-15-2005   #137
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

I really hope this deal doesn't happen. Pace is very old now, and we have some nice defensive linemen in our division(freeney,Jacksonville's big 2) and if Pace ever needs help with those that will mess up our whole system. This team has built itself on youth so far, and i want us to keep that going. Pace can be a caner at some-times, and now at the near end of his career, already having won a championship, he's just worried about gettin set for life financially. We can do many good things with that #13 pick, And still not get hog-tied in terms of cap space.
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #138
Dunta_23
All Pro

Default how does this look?

http://store.houstontexans.com/produ...rsey&cp=716711

How does this look?
Old 03-15-2005   #139
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

looks horrible
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #140
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Error..Ingnore
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read