Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2005   #241
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
I'm not sure what you meant in that second sentence, but why would NFL.com come out after Pace supposedly signed with the Rams and say he visited houston and there could be a possible trade. I would like to think that they might get the real facts before houstonprofootball.com or any of the other sites yall get some of this stuff from.

I could be wrong, but im gonna go with the big boys on this one. Only time will tell.

i was just saying that it takes time for those bigger sites such as nfl.com to get and confirm there reports. then it probably has to be approved by an editor and so on. the guys on this board just get the info then they type it. you would be amazed at how often they are correct. i read a thread about boseli ending his career a day before any newspaper or tv said anything about it. and now the news we are getting is confirming everything we have been reading here. have a little faith.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #242
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger

Who says its ended? Just because he has signed a deal with the Rams, doesn't mean this whole thing has ended. Have you ever heard of a sign and trade?

The Texans are in no hurry to sign an offer sheet. If they do that and the Rams decline, then we will be forced to give up are 1st this year and next. By no means do we want to do that.

The Texans-Rams plan here may be for the Rams to work the contract with him, and then he could be traded to the Texans for a "smaller asking price" than those 2 first round picks. If the Texans had signed the offer sheet, we would have been forced to give away those 2 first round picks and that would have been the trade. Now with Pace signed with a contract, the Rams can trade him to Houston for a 1st and whatever else they want.

I don't know, maybe this is the end and he has signed with the Rams and plans to say. If it is, than Pace's agent just did a heck of a job by letting come to Houston and see the Texans were serious in this thing to let the Rams see what his true market vaule is and make Pace a better offer after they got scared that Pace might sign with us.

So the road goes on..............
Old 03-15-2005   #243
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

This is funny, right before he left Houston he said he loved the visit, he enjoyed talking to Carr and Capers and said hes excited about the possibility of playing here, as Texans are a team on the rise. Right after that he told St louis he wants to stay in St louis..I think he's playin mind games
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #244
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
heck this would be a moot point if we took Roaf over Boselli .. did I say that out load? (for the record.. based on doctors (nfl and texan) i'd take boselli)
That was a really weird deal. The NFL took Roaf out of availability for the expansion draft for not being medically fit so the Texans never had a choice. How the NFL concluded Boselli was fit enough when he couldn't practice or anything we will never know. Of course Willie Roaf hasn't missed a game since and Boselli never played one. Imagine what might have happened if the NFL had pulled Boselli and left Roaf available.
Old 03-15-2005   #245
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
That was a really weird deal. The NFL took Roaf out of availability for the expansion draft for not being medically fit so the Texans never had a choice. How the NFL concluded Boselli was fit enough when he couldn't practice or anything we will never know. Of course Willie Roaf hasn't missed a game since and Boselli never played one. Imagine what might have happened if the NFL had pulled Boselli and left Roaf available.

hmm very interesting !!!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #246
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

from STL Today

The best suggestion I’ve heard from our Houston counterparts had the Texans sending a first-round draft pick plus starting left tackle Seth Wand to the Rams for Pace.

Wand, a 6-foot-7, 330-pound behemoth from Northwest Missouri State, started all 16 games for the Texans last season. I've heard some good things about him, but why would Houston trade him if he had a big upside and a low salary?

It makes you wonder. Taking on Pace’s huge salary wouldn’t make sense for Houston if Wand was ready to become a “plus” player at that position.

------

Houston seems willing to pay the going rate for Pro Bowl tackles, so Pace is not going to accept less to stay in St. Louis.

If Shaw, Zygmunt and Co. decide they can’t pay the going rate for Pro Bowl tackles, for whatever reason, then they must score big while trading Pace.

They must get a player who can help right now, in a big way. They must add a second player who addresses the offensive line’s future. And they must take whatever cap money is saved and spend it wisely on other needs.

Trading Orlando Pace could make or break the Rams in 2005 and beyond, depending on how it played out.

The Rams are on the clock . . .

the full story
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #247
Jwwillis
All Pro

You can tell by the fact that the Texans are considering high priced O-Lineman free agents that they are looking for a quick fix to the teams most vexing problem. I still say the Texans are suffering from the Boselli bust to this day. Most have been of the opinion that nothing would be done with the O-Line this off season to give the existing line time to jell and it was a focal point last year. It may be that patience among fans are already wearing thin and the coaches are looking over there shoulder. After all, if the Texans dont make the playoffs this year most seem to be of the opinion that heads should roll. So, there goes the "build from the draft" mentallity (thus not breaking the bank), and on to the "high priced quick fix" mentallity. Im sure there are some out there that are against the Pace deal and demand the playoffs next year too. Fact is, the Texans O-Line is not playioff calliber without drastic change or perhaps 2 more seasons with the same personel. Three years of being pummeled by NFL D-Lineman is starting to take its toll on Carr and his confidence and I think the coaches know it. Problem is, there is no easy answer.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2005   #248
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
You can tell by the fact that the Texans are considering high priced O-Lineman free agents that they are looking for a quick fix to the teams most vexing problem. I still say the Texans are suffering from the Boselli bust to this day. Most have been of the opinion that nothing would be done with the O-Line this off season to give the existing line time to jell and it was a focal point last year. It may be that patience among fans are already wearing thin and the coaches are looking over there shoulder. After all, if the Texans dont make the playoffs this year most seem to be of the opinion that heads should roll. So, there goes the "build from the draft" mentallity (thus not breaking the bank), and on to the "high priced quick fix" mentallity. Im sure there are some out there that are against the Pace deal and demand the playoffs next year too. Fact is, the Texans O-Line is not playioff calliber without drastic change or perhaps 2 more seasons with the same personel. Three years of being pummeled by NFL D-Lineman is starting to take its toll on Carr and his confidence and I think the coaches know it. Problem is, there is no easy answer.

yeah i can agree tony really screwed things up for this team on the OL !!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #249
outofhnd
All Pro

I am against the Pace trade as well. Yea I would love to have his talent but i DOnt like his attitude and lack of work ethic. He is extremely talented but at his age with his lacksidaisical workout routine and M.O. for not showing up for any preseason conditioning only means that when he declines it will be a monstrous dropoff in talent level. He will then become a financial liability for the remainder of his tenure and the texans couldn't get a hotdog in a trade for Orlando at that point. I think we should wait and draft a top tier OL in next years draft when there should be a plethora available. I think Wand should workout with Peek on picking up the speed rush. Plus we keep forgetting we changed blocking schemes last year maybe we give it another year or maybe just ditch the blocking scheme all together. I don't think its a personnel issue at this time I say give Wand another year now that he has played 16 games and is a year wiser

Though on a positive note that over his career pace has recovered 4 fumbles

Last edited by outofhnd; 03-16-2005 at 03:27 AM.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #250
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
Who says its ended? Just because he has signed a deal with the Rams, doesn't mean this whole thing has ended. Have you ever heard of a sign and trade?
It ends when Pace signs a contract with the Rams.

There are no sign and trades in the NFL, at least not with contracts this size.

In the NFL, if a player is traded then the entire cap hit of the signing bonus is taken that first year. So if the Rams were to sign Pace and then trade him, they would take a $15 million hit against the cap.

Pace is now a Ram for the rest of his career.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #251
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan

been working alot of hours and kinda blew through the first page of this thread so if this link has already been posted then forgive me,i found it informative about the woes of our offensive line.ORLANDO THE TEXAN
Old 03-16-2005   #252
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Look for something to get done in the next few days.
Old 03-16-2005   #253
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

The deadline for a deal to get done is today at either 3 or 4, not sure which...

I heard 4, but that may have been EST...

Either way, we'll have our answer in a few short hours ...
Old 03-16-2005   #254
SESupergenius

Look there is no doubt Boselligate hurt us in many respects, but I like the fact they they are at least shooting for good players. I don't mind overpaying that type of player, I just don't like overpaying average plays like Greenwood, Robaire, Wade etc. But when you are a fairly young team it's almost a given to overpay some players in the beginning. thing is, we are now going into our 4th season with a 7-9 record so that stigma is slowly wearing off.
Old 03-16-2005   #255
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

It is really a win win win situation for both teams and Pace if he signs with the Rams. Pace gets the long term contract he has been wanting. The Rams don't lose their prized francise LT that they desperately need to keep. The Texans showed Carr and the fans that they are willing to do what ever it takes to get him some protection. It may even motivate Wand this year. The best thing is that it didn't cost the Texans anything for the extra positives except dinner and a little time.

Last edited by bckey; 03-16-2005 at 10:05 AM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #256
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Like your avatar ses....I still haven't gotten those images yet...I'll keep you informed...

I think you hit on an important point. As an expansion team you are just not going to be an attractive place to play to a guy entering his prime years. Most of these guys want to be on a Super Bowl potential team and before this year we simply have had to pay more for second tier guys. I think with a strong season in 2005 we will be stepping past that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #257
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

So is it official or what?
Old 03-16-2005   #258
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It will likely be resolved by 3pm today.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #259
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

I'm inventing a new verb right now ....... borased ..... we (the Texans and their fans) got borased by Pace and his agent ......
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #260
Rosusu
All Pro

At this point after reading lots of articles I think it is about 99% that the Texans will not be getting Pace. Thats just about it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read