Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-21-2010   #1
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Are the Pittsburgh Steelers Bigger Than Big Ben?

"We can't defend the behavior or the actions as an organization and we won't, but we do defend his opportunity to make right, and I think that's the right thing to do."

Kevin Colbert said this when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell decided to suspend Roethlisberger for up to six games due to an incident back in March when a Georgia college student accused Roethlisberger of raping her.

"This guy has helped us win two world championships. He's made some mistakes, but he also deserves the opportunity to rectify those mistakes. And we stand behind his opportunity to do that," Colbert said.

Colbert is the Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations (also known as the general manager).

Since Colbert returned to his hometown in 2000, the Steelers appeared in four AFC Championship Games and won five AFC North titles, and two Super Bowls.

The Lions went to the playoffs five times, in the 10 seasons Colbert spent in Detroit.

"Kevin's impact is immeasurable. We have an awesome working relationship, because we have one very important thing in common. We don't care who gets the credit, and all we want to do is win," Mike Tomlin said.

"No, we don't see that role changing," Rooney said. "Kevin has been a key part, a critical part of our success the last few years, and the way he's done his job is outstanding and we hope he continues to approach it the way he has," said Art Rooney II.

“We didn’t have the type of off-season that we’re proud of and we’re anxious to get back on the field and have a team that competes for a championship and have a team that our fans can be proud to call their team,” Colbert said.

Well it looks like behavior problems are not quiet as far behind big Ben, like Colbert and the rest if Steeler nation would like them to be.

All Ben needed to do was stay out of trouble and comply with NFL policy, and his suspension could have been dropped from six weeks to four weeks. But Ben can't seem to find a way to keep the bad PR light from shinning on the Steeler Nation.

Ben and his posse had the cops called on them here recently.

According to Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch, after Roethlisberger was denied a tee time at the more prestigious Muirfield Village golf course; Ben went across the street to another Country Club at Muirfield Village.

Baptist's source at Muirfield said Ben's "reputation proceeds him;"

According to Baptist, multiple reports suggested the troubled Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback, during a round of golf, was seen urinating on the course early Friday evening by a Dublin homeowner.

But a source at the club, who said he did not want to be identified, told The Dispatch that it never was verified whether Roethlisberger or either of his two playing partners was the culprit.

Profootballtalk.com reports that a source close to Roethlisberger told them that the man seen urinating was another member of Roethlisberger's group.

The homeowner with the view of the 17th tee of the Jack Nicklaus-built course, called the golf club to complain. After Police arrived on the scene to investigate, the homeowner Nanette Fowler, decided not to press charges, said Dublin police spokesman David Ball.

The way this thing has been swept under the rug, with all this he said she said, we may never know if it was Ben or not?

Does it really matter? I mean, heck, who hasn't done it right?

But the point of this story, is that this is just the kind of behavior the first Golf course not only expected, but managed to avoid thanks to Ben Roethlisbergers reputation proceeding him.

Now Colbert has a reputation of his own to contend with, is he going to be as prudent as the prestigious golf course was, or is he going to allow the reputation of his prestigious franchise to take the same significant risk he pawned off on the Jets earlier this year.

Is this a double standard, or are the Steelers conceding they are not bigger than big Ben?

The recent police investigation surrounding Roethlisberger regarding the golf course incident is the cherry on the cake, or should I say pie thrown in Steelers nation as well as the entire NFL fan bases face at this rate.

This cherry is on top of the rape allegations, yes you heard me right, allegations plural; yeah that's right that means more than one...

Roethlisberger was recently sued by a Nevada woman who claimed, she had been sexually assaulted by him in 2008.

This incident just adds to what happened back in March when a college sophomore accused him of raping her while she and he where in a night club bathroom in Georgia.

Georgia detectives investigated the role Pennsylvania state trooper Ed Joyner played while moonlighting as Bens body guard during the alleged rape incident.

According to Carl Prine of PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
There is still a lot more to this article...

Last edited by Jagsbch; 07-22-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #2
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 20017 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are the Pittsburgh Steelers Bigger Than Big Ben?

Quote:
Since Colbert returned to his hometown in 2000, the Steelers won five AFC North titles, four AFC Championship Games and two Super Bowls.
Im impressed they won four AFC Championship games but only played in two Super Bowls. Far as I can remember. Maybe I blacked out.
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
Im impressed they won four AFC Championship games but only played in two Super Bowls. Far as I can remember. Maybe I blacked out.
I think they made it to 4 AFCCG's.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #4
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

every time i see your handle i read it as 'jags bench.'

not malicious. i swear. in my mind, you're just another lost floridian.
Old 07-22-2010   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch View Post
The Lions went to the playoffs five times, in the 10 seasons Colbert spent in Detroit.
Holy Cow...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #6
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
every time i see your handle i read it as 'jags bench.'

not malicious. i swear. in my mind, you're just another lost floridian.
I read it as Jag's *****. Is that what it is?
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #7
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected
Red face Re: Are the Pittsburgh Steelers Bigger Than Big Ben?

Thanks for the heads up... on the DZOH

2001–02 New England Patriots 24 Pittsburgh Steelers 17
2004–05 New England Patriots 41 Pittsburgh Steelers 27
2005–06 Pittsburgh Steelers 34 Denver Broncos 17
2008–09 Pittsburgh Steelers 23 Baltimore Ravens 14
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2010   #8
Jagsbch
Veteran

I love the fact that the Steelers are going to maintain their Pass happy offense
Old 07-24-2010   #9
Dwade
Veteran

Rep Power: 56 Dwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respected

Steelers are gonna suck this year, without Big Ben the Ravens and the Bengals will dominate them. Hell, the Browns may even beat them.
Dwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010   #10
Jagsbch
Veteran

Ben Not the Only Clown In Steelers Circus

The impact of Ben Roethlisberger entertaining boys and girls young and old off the field, has created a ripple effect. This effect is acting like a tsunami heading directly to the Steelers playing field this training camp.

The domino effect has the fans falling out with both laughter and shock.

"I don't mind the circus atmosphere" Mike Tomlin said

So many stories to cover with this clown show that I can't tell where to start...

Act IV Steelers introduce a new clown into the act

Jeff Sperbeck, the agent for Pittsburgh Steelers QB Dennis Dixon, has got in on the circus act, by sticking his clowny nose where it doesn't belong.

"I don't understand why after Byron's been gone a year, they would bring him back and start him ahead of Dennis," Sperbeck said. "To me, it should have been Dennis' job as the No. 1. He was No. 2 last year. Byron was not even in the picture."

Thing is Sperbeck is jumping the gun here, Byron has not been named the starting QB in Roethlisbergers stead while he is on suspension.

“But you would like to have that (starting) quarterback named so you can get in and see him on a daily basis,” Ward said. “That’s why we pay coach all of the money, to make that decision.”

“We're kind of making it up as we go along,” Tomlin said.

"...there will not be equal reps and equal opportunities to prove what you’re capable of. It’s just not feasible.”

Maybe the reason Sperbeck doesn't understand is because he can't add two and two together.

Could Tomlin actually be saying there is nothing more to prove? I know Byron Leftwich is the better quarterback, and that is why he traded a draft pick to have him on his team despite the fact he already had two quarterbacks capable of playing for me?

I mean where does the agent of a fifth round draft pick get off trying to tell the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers how it is? Its as if you can almost hear the circus music playing in the back ground.

"Dennis was not a typical fifth-rounder. That was an aberration because of his injury," Sperbeck said. "The Steelers knew what they had early on. They knew they got great value in him. But now, since he was really more of a first- (or) second-round talent, those guys fall in the category of after a season or two they are considered ready to be starters."

As if the disturbing behavior of Ben Roethlisberger this offseason was not enough, now we have one of the players agents playing the role of a clown while attempting to cast a wedge in an attempt to shatter Tomlin's galvanized locker room.

Act V How many clowns does it take to screw in a light bulb

Why Sperbeck even has Charlie Batch in on the act, to the point where Batch is actually calling Dixon the future. So many clowns and so little time left before Training camp starts in just five days.

"Dennis Dixon is a great talent and I think he showed that last year against Baltimore. So I think at some point they're going to try to get him ready because he is the future," Batch said.

"I would say yes. Everybody would like to take the first-team reps," Dixon said this week. "Once you get your shot, you want to show that you can get it done. I'm pretty sure there will be a point in time when that happens. It hasn't right now."

Hey Dennis, come back down to earth, you have had your shot, stop being such a poor sport, the coach knows what he has got in you, and Charlie Batch.

60.6 quarterback rating in your only career start does not exude confidence, that is why Tomlin traded a draft pick to bring Byron back.

"That's such an important part of a young guy's development," Sperbeck said. "When you bestow the confidence in him that he is the guy, now the team knows that and they are prepared to follow him. Without the team giving that to him, it's more difficult for any quarterback to lead when your own status is uncertain. You lead differently as a starter than you do as a backup."

Something about Dixons clutch performance throwing that interception in overtime during the Baltimore Ravens game last season has me a confident too. (Sarcasm)

Hey Sperdeck, nothing is given to you in this league, you have to earn it. Thanks for the laugh, just what the fans needed this offseason.

Sperdeck the clown was the perfect addition to the Steelers-circus-act, an act which is indeed assuring us of the greatest show on earth.

Thanks for the laugh Sperdeck, we needed that.

Acts I, II, III are in the link
Old 07-26-2010   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I read it as Jag's *****. Is that what it is?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010   #12
Jagsbch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
+1
I used to be...
Old 07-26-2010   #13
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch View Post
Ben Not the Only Clown In Steelers Circus

The...Acts I, II, III are in the link

Huh?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010   #14
Jagsbch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

Huh?
try this link
Old 07-27-2010   #15
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Lefty gonna get killed in a pass happy Offense. With the Steelers OL in trouble to protect and no running game...and add in Byron's slow release, I see some bad times ahead. The Steelers will be dying to have Rothlesberger back. The Steelers are not going to do good this season.
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read