Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-21-2010   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default RBs if successful could lead to controversy?

Most of us seem excited about the possibilities of having a very good running game and have mentioned the areas of improvement a quality back can impact. Greater protection of QB, not just blocking but offering an avenue to get rid of the ball safely without suffering a fumble or injury. We all saw what a healthy Matt can do. A quality back makes the offensive line better and many of us are aware of this suspect area. A running game opens up the passing game and historically that has been Kubiak's philosophy. A quality back can keep the opposing offense off the field and also our defense; allowing our players to be stronger late in game. Over all, a quality back pays huge dividends, especially when the other backs on the roster were not doing very well.

My question is if Tate, Slaton or Foster or all meet expectations giving us at least one (and maybe three) quality backs, how will fans react? Of course all will be excited and pleased. Will we let bygones be bygones and the lack of a recently successfull RB (one year of Slaton is noted) slowly fade from our memory or will we burn with anger and maybe disgust that Kubes and Smith did not do all they could to bring this important part of the chess board to the table two drafts ago?

We have touched on this in other threads but if we have a very much improved running game (ala Schaub over David Carr) as the season progresses will fans question Kubiak's decision making in this regard?
Old 07-21-2010   #2
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: RBs if successful could lead to controversy?

*prays to football gods that all RB's are healthy by game 1.*
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
Sure but what do you think about my topic? Will fans gripe like they did when Schaub became a very good player compared to Carr or just be glad RBs are doing well?
Old 07-21-2010   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Sure but what do you think about my topic? Will fans gripe like they did when Schaub became a very good player compared to Carr or just be glad RBs are doing well?
I thought the controversy you might be referring to was possible discontent over snaps between those 3. In that case, I don't think you can have enough good RBs on your roster. They'll all get touches and if they all 3 do prove to be effective you can bet we'll be running the ball a lot more.

And I'd be more than happy if we have griping fans, if that means we're running the ball well its a worthy trade.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love some controversy at the RB position.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
If the RBs are successful I would venture to guess that we are winning more games. Why would fans complain about winning after so many years of losing/mediocrity?
Old 07-21-2010   #7
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody is getting the right amount of carries, catches, passes when we are winning. When a team starts loosing, that’s when we start trying to figure out who should have take a couple more carries here and there, and who’s not getting targeted enough on 3rd and long. There will be fan favorites right of the chute of course, but if the coaching staff makes the right decisions and the 3 headed monster emerges, there will be little to complain about.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2010   #8
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure people are actually reading the OP for comprehension...
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #9
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Ah....yes, I think we would be angry that we didn't have a solid RB core before now. I think they got what they were looking for out of Slaton when they drafted him, and took it in the man region when he didn't produce last season. Keeping old wornout/injured RB's like they had been doing on the roster still blows my mind. Hopefully with this batch of RBs the worm will turn.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't be angry at them trying something and failing when overall they have consitently improved the team. It seems as if they have learned from some of their past mistakes as well.

I'd be happy we had production from that spot, not upset because they didn't solve it earlier.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post

I hope we break the curse, but somehow, even with only limited talent, every year we have fallen to the prey of "natural selection." If all three survive camp, preseason and regular season.....and perform well.......I think we just might be able to overcome the new "curse of too good and too plentiful."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans run the ball to set-up the pass or pass the ball to set-up the run? teams will be more confused because Texans offense has some balance to it along with emerging playmakers
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

For obvious reasons, RB's have the shortest shelf life of all players. So in building a team through the draft, theoretically it should one of the last positions that get a wave of attention like RB has had this past year and a half or so. They really focused on getting talented guys in the trenches, mainly on D but it's hard to ignore the 1st round pick, 2 3rd round picks and 2 6th round picks set to start again next year for the OL, much less the slew of mid round TEs to bookend the OL.

The front 7 on D has a #1, #10, #15 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders, a 3rd, a couple 4th round LBers, a 5th (if Okam makes the team), and a 7th to go with a big FA signing and a few smaller gap filling type signings.

It isn't real hard to see how the team has been built. DL/OL/LB get the bulk of the high round picks, TE, DT, WR, CB have dominated the lower rounds with a RB here and a S there just for kicks.

In short, no, I don't think anyone will be upset if we turn out a 1,200 yard rusher. And hell, with the turn around at RB (on paper anyway)....maybe signs of other extremely weak positions getting run like....FREE ****ING SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My question is if Tate, Slaton or Foster or all meet expectations giving us at least one (and maybe three) quality backs, how will fans react? Of course all will be excited and pleased. Will we let bygones be bygones and the lack of a recently successfull RB (one year of Slaton is noted) slowly fade from our memory or will we burn with anger and maybe disgust that Kubes and Smith did not do all they could to bring this important part of the chess board to the table two drafts ago?
Fans will be overjoyed at the advent of a running game, and the only thing that would be worth griping about is who gets the lions share of the carries. No way do we have 3 running backs that get 100 carries and 500 yards for the season. That'd just be weird.
Old 07-21-2010   #15
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I'm not sure people are actually reading the OP for comprehension...
I think everyone was in shock at the prospect of an effective running game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Fans will be overjoyed at the advent of a running game, and the only thing that would be worth griping about is who gets the lions share of the carries. No way do we have 3 running backs that get 100 carries and 500 yards for the season. That'd just be weird.
Me too, I'd be happy to forgive & forget if the Texans can finally get it together. Even a mediocre running game to complement our passing game could make the Texans a top 4 in the AFC team.
Old 07-21-2010   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
that's only about 3.0 yards per carry, even below historic average of 3.875 yards per carry & 1661 total yards rushing per season
  • 2009 3.5 avg, ranked 30th 1475
  • 2008 4.3 avg, ranked 13th 1846
  • 2007 3.8 avg, ranked 22nd 1586
  • 2006 3.9 avg, ranked 21st 1687
  • 2005 4.2 avg, ranked 15th 1816
  • 2004 3.9 avg, ranked 12th 1882
  • 2003 3.9 avg, ranked 23rd 1651
  • 2002 3.2 avg, ranked 31st 1347

Last edited by beerlover; 07-21-2010 at 03:50 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I'll just be happy about seeing some production out of the running game finnally.
Old 07-21-2010   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
If the RBs are successful I would venture to guess that we are winning more games. Why would fans complain about winning after so many years of losing/mediocrity?
Yes, I think fans would complain. We quickly adjust to "good times" and find things to ***** about. Looking at my own point of view, I was very upset a RB was not drafted two drafts ago and if Tate is successfull as I think he will be, I will wonder how much better last season would have gone with a good back in the back field. It would have proven my point, that Kubes should call me for advice. lol
Old 07-21-2010   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most of us seem excited about the possibilities of having a very good running game and have mentioned the areas of improvement a quality back can impact. Greater protection of QB, not just blocking but offering an avenue to get rid of the ball safely without suffering a fumble or injury. We all saw what a healthy Matt can do. A quality back makes the offensive line better and many of us are aware of this suspect area. A running game opens up the passing game and historically that has been Kubiak's philosophy. A quality back can keep the opposing offense off the field and also our defense; allowing our players to be stronger late in game. Over all, a quality back pays huge dividends, especially when the other backs on the roster were not doing very well.

We have touched on this in other threads but if we have a very much improved running game (ala Schaub over David Carr) as the season progresses will fans question Kubiak's decision making in this regard?
Well with Kubiak's bone headed decisions to play Green and Brown over the last two seasons, I'd probably expect that to happen. Hell, Kubes didn't even want to play Foster until the end of last season.

However, I don't think this is going to be anything to worry about. I think this will be a good problem to have. I think that all of these guys will be effective RB's.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #20
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

The pessimistic ones will complain.

Most of us will be hoping a praying for a Carolina Panthers type rushing attack.
ThaShark316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read