Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-20-2010   #1
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb Kareem Jackson write up by S.I.A.B

There is just not enough love going around for Kareem Jackson. So i thought i would try my best to give him a warm welcome. So here it go's.

If you look around the front page of the fourm. You will see 1st round draft pick 09 "brian cushing" ,and under that it says. "We would like to give a big Texas welcome to our newest Texan Brian Cushing"! I think this shows houston does not show near enough love for Kareem Jackson ,and it should say

"We would like to give a big Texas welcome to our newest Texan Kareem Jackson"

I dont know if it has something to do with the owner not being on, but i think it should be changed!

info...

The texans had a hole in the secoundary as soon at Daunta "pay me" Robinson left. If we did not sign or draft a impact player We would of took a major step back. which some credicts think we still did. If Kareem Jackson can become a playmaker. Then we should be fine like last year. If you were to ask me. How would Kareem Jackson hold up across from reggie wayne? i would say we would have to wait ,and see thats the one downside about drafting a player that you want to start week one.

for thoughs going to training camp and are watching the preseason games be shur to watch Kareem Jackson. when we play the cowboys miles austin is guna be a big test and we should be able to tell how well he should be able to cover reggie wayne

with the texans on a playoffs push. Kareem Jackson will need to step up ,and take the leader as soon as posiple.

i was just stateing the obvious. Hope you injoy anyways post what you think.
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #2
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson write up by S.I.A.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatonisabeast View Post
There is just not enough love going around for Kareem Jackson. So i thought i would try my best to give him a warm welcome. So here it go's.

If you look around the front page of the fourm. You will see 1st round draft pick 09 "brian cushing" ,and under that it says. "We would like to give a big Texas welcome to our newest Texan Brian Cushing"! I think this shows houston does not show near enough love for Kareem Jackson ,and it should say

"We would like to give a big Texas welcome to our newest Texan Kareem Jackson"

I dont know if it has something to do with the owner not being on, but i think it should be changed!

info...

The texans had a hole in the secoundary as soon at Daunta "pay me" Robinson left. If we did not sign or draft a impact player We would of took a major step back. which some credicts think we still did. If Kareem Jackson can become a playmaker. Then we should be fine like last year. If you were to ask me. How would Kareem Jackson hold up across from reggie wayne? i would say we would have to wait ,and see thats the one downside about drafting a player that you want to start week one.

for thoughs going to training camp and are watching the preseason games be shur to watch Kareem Jackson. when we play the cowboys miles austin is guna be a big test and we should be able to tell how well he should be able to cover reggie wayne

with the texans on a playoffs push. Kareem Jackson will need to step up ,and take the leader as soon as posiple.

i was just stateing the obvious. Hope you injoy anyways post what you think.
I also noticed this-I'm pretty new around here so I wasn't sure if the "welcome" was put on after the season started or after he signed...So I'll SIAB in welcoming our newest Texans (all of them)!!
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 183943 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

SIAB, I have been a critic of Jackson but am glad he is on team and hope he can bring me around. I too wish him a huge welcome to Houston.
Old 07-20-2010   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure if it's really a write up, and I cringe every time you post. I have to think you write this way on purpose.

That said I think Jackson is pretty typical of the kind of CB Gary and his staff like. He's got decent size at 5'11" and looked bigger than the listed 192 in OTAs. He's not afraid to help in run support(real big deal with this staff), tackles well in the open field, and is a solid technician at the position.

Also helps he was coached by Nick Saban and has been battle tested in the SEC since his freshman year. I thought Kyle Wilson had more upside, but truth is like you pointed out we needed someone that could come in and make an immediate impact and he looks more ready.

The defensive staff is really turning over the CB position. Lot of young talent there, but makes me nervous that our best veteran is Jacque Reeves starting the season. How this secondary will fare this coming year really will depend on both safeties staying healthy and Jackson's play over the course of the year.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #5
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 136 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Not sure if it's really a write up, and I cringe every time you post. I have to think you write this way on purpose.

That said I think Jackson is pretty typical of the kind of CB Gary and his staff like. He's got decent size at 5'11" and looked bigger than the listed 192 in OTAs. He's not afraid to help in run support(real big deal with this staff), tackles well in the open field, and is a solid technician at the position.

Also helps he was coached by Nick Saban and has been battle tested in the SEC since his freshman year. I thought Kyle Wilson had more upside, but truth is like you pointed out we needed someone that could come in and make an immediate impact and he looks more ready.

The defensive staff is really turning over the CB position. Lot of young talent there, but makes me nervous that our best veteran is Jacque Reeves starting the season. How this secondary will fare this coming year really will depend on both safeties staying healthy and Jackson's play over the course of the year.
Hey, i know that sometimes the writing can be hard to understand but SIAB is really trying to progress. Just take a look at his earlier posts and you will see how much of an upgrade these recent posts are. Plus, ive heard that he is just a kid, so we should probably cut him some slack. Keep up the good work SIAB, we need posts like yours to keep the offseason interesting.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #6
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

The way you improve your writing is to write. SIAB is doing that by posting here on this board. Although his spelling, grammar and punctuation still leave a lot to be desired, I have noticed a substantial improvement over the last six months or so. He does appear to be making more of an effort. That being said, he does still have a ways to go.

Keep posting SIAB. Practice makes perfect, and you will continue to improve if you pay close attention to what you are doing. Remember to "preview" your posts and fix any errors before posting. Also, if there are any red squiggly lines in the message box, that means the board's built-in spell-checker is trying to recommend a better way to spell a word. Right click on the red squiggly line, and choose the better spelling for the word, if there is one. Do that for all the words with red squiggly lines before every post you make.

And don't let these guys bring you down. Your progress is easily noticeable to anyone who has been following your work, such as myself. Keep pushing ahead, and one day you may be the best writer on this board. You just never know. Keep up the good work!

MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #7
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank you!
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2010   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 183943 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jackson is the type CB staff wanted and we will see if they are correct. I hope so but have my fingers crossed.
Old 07-20-2010   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Jackson is the type CB staff wanted and we will see if they are correct. I hope so but have my fingers crossed.
Isn't Jackson more of a physical bump and run type CB? It'd be nice to be able to do away with a lot of that zone BS. Not all together, but dadgum, it just drives me nuts.
Old 07-20-2010   #10
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Try every staff in the NFL dude not just Gary. No staff says "well its ok that he doesn't tackle well" when speaking of a CB. CBs who can't tackle are a dying commodity in the NFL. Look how quickly the opinions of Antonio Cromartie and Asaunte Samuel changed just after one season. Both previously regarded as top CBs in the league, last year had two of the worst tackling seasons and lost important games for their teams because of their insufficient tackling. And I would think in a division with a 2000 yard rusher and Jones-Drew you wouldn't want a poor tackling corner even near the roster. So lets thank our lucky stars "Gary and his staff" are hip enough to league trends and realize that tackling from your corners should be a standard not a bonus.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

excellent post. I just think he got covered up while playing on that great Alabama defense. really pissed at myself for not giving him more consideration pre-draft but now that its in the books I strongly support the newest Texans first round selection Kareem Jackson
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #12
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...>snipped a little...<

Also helps he was coached by Nick Saban and has been battle tested in the SEC since his freshman year. 1) I thought Kyle Wilson had more upside,but truth is like you pointed out 2) we needed someone that could come in and make an immediate impact and he looks more ready.

The defensive staff is really turning over the CB position. Lot of young talent there, but makes me nervous that 3) our best veteran is Jacque Reeves starting the season. How this secondary will fare this coming year really will depend on both safeties staying healthy and Jackson's play over the course of the year.
1) Before the draft many mocks here had KW and Devin Mccourty either 1st or
2nd choice as well the various mags and sites. I don't recall seeing Kareem's name in the hat. Why do these two have more upside when Kareem is ready to play at the pro level day one after starting for four years and being coached by Nick Saban? Why will they get better? If he's a day one pro, will his skills deminish while the other two get better in order to get to the pro level? How long does that take and how much better will they be in the long run than a first day pro? I know it was only OTAs but the "coach speak" I heard/read referencing Kareem sounded a whole lot like what GK said about Cush during OTAs and camp.

2) see 1 and "more ready" than what?

3) When did this happen? I thought it was G Quin and Kareem.

Thanks for taking my call

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
2nd choice as well the various mags and sites. I don't recall seeing Kareem's name in the hat. Why do these two have more [b]upside[b] when Kareem is ready to play at the pro level day one after starting for four years and being coached by Nick Saban? Why will they get better? If he's a day one pro, will his skills deminish while the other two get better in order to get to the pro level? How long does that take and how much better will they be in the long run than a first day pro? I know it was only OTAs but the "coach speak" I heard/read referencing Kareem sounded a whole lot like what GK said about Cush during OTAs and camp.

I'll take that call -

first off Kareem came out the last week as underclassman junior, so he slipped in the back door so to speak (On January 15, 2010, Jackson declared he would go into the NFL Draft).

Nick Saban announced on January 3, 2007 that he accepted an offer to become Alabama's 27th head coach. Kareem Jackson visited Alabama January 19th & committed Jan 22nd. but not recruited by Saben but Burton Burns assistant Head Coach. hence the possible disconnect from Saben but making decision tough that could have cost him projected draft status moving forward.

This was a very talented national championship team consisting of at least seven players drafted in 2010. Adding to the problem is the SEC is not a pass oriented offensive conference so Kareem was rarely tested, at least what I saw on film. All you could see was he engages his man @ scrimmage & doesnt get off in the proverbial NFL 5 yard zone, then is excellent in run support.

Quinn is a beast. from what I gather based off OTA reports is he's tearing it up & right now is the #1 CB going into training camp. Much better than Dunta was, heck Dunta was a non-factor in training camp other than off field requests. My personel favorite because of his speed is Brice McCain plus his attitude is excellent.

I would not expect Jackson to excell @ the level of Cushing simply because he's not getting schooled by DeMeco who may be, after AJ, the best player on the team but your point is well taken. I expect the Texans secondary to finish the season in the top 15 so going into this whole scenero next year maybe top 10?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Try every staff in the NFL dude not just Gary. No staff says "well its ok that he doesn't tackle well" when speaking of a CB. CBs who can't tackle are a dying commodity in the NFL. Look how quickly the opinions of Antonio Cromartie and Asaunte Samuel changed just after one season. Both previously regarded as top CBs in the league, last year had two of the worst tackling seasons and lost important games for their teams because of their insufficient tackling. And I would think in a division with a 2000 yard rusher and Jones-Drew you wouldn't want a poor tackling corner even near the roster. So lets thank our lucky stars "Gary and his staff" are hip enough to league trends and realize that tackling from your corners should be a standard not a bonus.

I don't know that it is so much an NFL trend or a new Kubiak revelation as it is the increased availability of such type of players. It takes more to be a decent CB these days than to deflect or intercept the pass. A CB that can't tackle well in front of them (cover the run) is going to have one heck of a problem tackling someone behind them (cover the pass).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
2nd choice as well the various mags and sites. I don't recall seeing Kareem's name in the hat. Why do these two have more upside when Kareem is ready to play at the pro level day one after starting for four years and being coached by Nick Saban? Why will they get better? If he's a day one pro, will his skills deminish while the other two get better in order to get to the pro level? How long does that take and how much better will they be in the long run than a first day pro? I know it was only OTAs but the "coach speak" I heard/read referencing Kareem sounded a whole lot like what GK said about Cush during OTAs and camp.

1. IMO it's ceiling vs floor. I think Jackson has a really high floor, but not so sure about his ceiling at this point. I think McCourty and Wilson are a bit more raw and have more top end speed, could be better after some coaching. Both also contribute on special teams.

2. Jackson looks like the most NFL ready CB between him, McCourty, and Wilson.

3. I guess you missed veteran? Kareem obviously is a rookie and while Quinn played like a veteran last year, but in my book second year guys don't get "veteran" status.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #16
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 36798 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I'm sorry but I'll disagree here, as I don't know of any NFL staff that would not take another Deion Sanders in a heartbeat, he couldn't tackle someone if his life depended on it and often would just throw himself at their feet, but he completely shutdown that side of the field in the passing game. I'd take that any day of the week.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #17
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

beerlover and Goldensilence,

Thanks for the replies. That answers my questions. Guess we'll see game 1 if his lack of exposure to passing attacks in the SEC is going to handicap him in this leauge.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
This was a very talented national championship team consisting of at least seven players drafted in 2010. Adding to the problem is the SEC is not a pass oriented offensive conference so Kareem was rarely tested, at least what I saw on film. All you could see was he engages his man @ scrimmage & doesnt get off in the proverbial NFL 5 yard zone, then is excellent in run support.
BL, so what teams tested Joe Haden (Fla)?
He's in the SEC just like Kareem.

Wilson and McCourty, they were tested?

The misconception is the SEC was not good at passing.
Go to the ncca stats website.
Passing is simply not just yardage.
I would say passing efficiency is a better measure.
It accounts for TD/Ints ratios, yards per attempts, yards per completion.

The stats will also show you that the SEC was also good at pass defense.

They were also good at rushing offense and rushing defense.
They were good at everything.

Their non-conference records against Tier 1 schools were best.

I will come back to Kareem, the individual later!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. IMO it's ceiling vs floor. I think Jackson has a really high floor, but not so sure about his ceiling at this point. I think McCourty and Wilson are a bit more raw and have more top end speed, could be better after some coaching. Both also contribute on special teams.
McCourty 4.38
Wilson 4.43
Jackson 4.48
Haden 4.52

Hmm, looks like the draft order is an inverse of the 40 time speed!

McCourty & Wilson both gave up TD and long return (just like Earl Thomas) on special team by taking bad angles (similar to when they play defense).
How is that contribution?

I'm sure we can all hope that a guy can improve because he's "raw".
But why are these guys raw? (Wilson and McCourty)
I mean, supposedly, they play more against pass-oriented teams for a long time!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
I'm sorry but I'll disagree here, as I don't know of any NFL staff that would not take another Deion Sanders in a heartbeat, he couldn't tackle someone if his life depended on it and often would just throw himself at their feet, but he completely shutdown that side of the field in the passing game. I'd take that any day of the week.
I am skimming the thread as many interesting comments but have to post an agreement to yours. Certainly if a WR catches a ball against a CB the DB has to bring the receiver down, but that is not primary goal of a CB imo. The goal is to stop the advancement of the opponent by causing WR to NOT catch the ball. This is not always accomplished by CB actually contacting the ball and creating an incomplete pass but often by "bumping"during the route or positioning himself between the ball and the WR. Case in point that I referred to in my previous thread about my disappointment in this draft was Kyle Wilson seemingly out of position and turning on the jets to catch up and interrupt the view of the WR resulting in a dropped pass. That place was shown repeatedly on NFL Total Acess prior to the draft. This is what I observed in Wilson during the season. I have not seen that in Jackson. Not that he can't, just have not seen it yet. More of my thoughts will be directed at other posts.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read