Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-19-2010   #1
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans secondary - ranked 32nd

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...rankings071810

Just the opinion of one Yahoo! sports writer but I thought it was worth noting.

On another note, our O-line is ranked 6th in the league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...rankings061810

And 13th ranked LB crew??? Not sure about this one but here you go. They also rank the rest of the crews. RB's, WR's, etc, etc.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...rankings071210
Old 07-19-2010   #2
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans secondary - ranked 32nd

Ouch!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The thought of a rookie (Jackson) playing his 3 games against Manning,McNabb and Romo. And two 2nd year guys (Quin and McCain) scares the heck out of me.

Does anybody else feel this way?

Didn't read the article but the LB corps should be ranked in the top 5-10. Atleast that's what my eyes told me last year.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds fair till proved otherwise.
Old 07-19-2010   #5
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

With the league becoming more and more of a passing league, this is scary!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Sounds fair till proved otherwise.
I agree for the most part, but 32nd? These rankings are a joke overall, IMO. He basically has the Ravens ranked at 5 due to Ed Reed alone. I mean, he's an awesome player, but he's beat up and aging. The CB position is the biggest concern on the Ravens defense.

Meh, I definitely understand why our secondary should be ranked so low, but these rankings are a bit off-base if you ask me
Old 07-19-2010   #7
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The thought of a rookie (Jackson) playing his 3 games against Manning,McNabb and Romo. And two 2nd year guys (Quin and McCain) scares the heck out of me.

Does anybody else feel this way?

Didn't read the article but the LB corps should be ranked in the top 5-10. Atleast that's what my eyes told me last year.
I don't feel this way because I've seen Jackson hold his own in the SEC and GQ didn't look bad last year especially in the Patriots game. I would be worried if we had to go with McCain/Bennett/Reeves. I think the Safeties can pick up the slack. We have a worst secondary than the NYG, Minnesota,Jags, and especially Seattle..LMAO. Pay no attention to this rating because it is probably some Eastern Sportwriters being polled. All young DBs have to do is go out there and make them take it back.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2010   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree for the most part, but 32nd? These rankings are a joke overall, IMO. He basically has the Ravens ranked at 5 due to Ed Reed alone. I mean, he's an awesome player, but he's beat up and aging. The CB position is the biggest concern on the Ravens defense.

Meh, I definitely understand why our secondary should be ranked so low, but these rankings are a bit off-base if you ask me
Yup - anyone who ranks the Ravens secondary as top 5 is a joke.
Old 07-19-2010   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

He also basically listed the Raiders in the top ten because of their one great CB JMO.
Old 07-19-2010   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup - anyone who ranks the Ravens secondary as top 5 is a joke.
Yep! Fortunately, this is the NFL and not the fiasco: college football! In the NFL, the media can rank a team as high or low as they want and it will mean absolutely nothing once the games are played. Ain't that refreshing!?!
Old 07-19-2010   #11
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm definately concerned about the secondary. The lack of veteran leadership is going to haunt us this season, just my opinion though. I think we may be OK if we can get some pressure on the QBs and force the throws. If we don't do that, we're screwed. I know that's the same for every team, but I think it's more true for us due to the experience we have at the positions. I think Pollard is fine, other than that, I'm pretty worried. I would have liked to have seen us bring in someone else this offseason, with a couple of seasons under their belt, that can hit the ground running when the season starts and be a mentor to our young core. Who knows, we may shine in that area this season, I hope I'm wrong.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I'm definately concerned about the secondary. The lack of veteran leadership is going to haunt us this season, just my opinion though. I think we may be OK if we can get some pressure on the QBs and force the throws. If we don't do that, we're screwed. I know that's the same for every team, but I think it's more true for us due to the experience we have at the positions. I think Pollard is fine, other than that, I'm pretty worried. I would have liked to have seen us bring in someone else this offseason, with a couple of seasons under their belt, that can hit the ground running when the season starts and be a mentor to our young core. Who knows, we may shine in that area this season, I hope I'm wrong.
You just never can tell.
Old 07-19-2010   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think when it comes to Quin, we basically have another Dunta with a bit better coverage skills. He's not afraid to run support. Kareem is going to have to play Manning anyways, appearantly everyone sees how good he is now though. If he doesn't do well, Reeves is more than capable to shore it up.

Hopefully, and to me this is the bigger question, we can get pressure with our front four, even front seven. If we can do that, the secondary will be very good.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

More BS, but whatever, it's that time of the year when everyone has to rank everything because there's nothing else to talk about. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

The LB ranking must be taking into account Cushing missing the first 4 games of the regular season.

Secondary ranking seems a bit harsh... there's gotta be someone worse than us!!!
Old 07-19-2010   #16
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think anybody who watched Pollard play last year would describe him as a "league-average player".
Old 07-19-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I don't think anybody who watched Pollard play last year would describe him as a "league-average player".
That's the deal. Most of the people writing these types of articles have never watched the games other than a few highlights here and there and checking stat sheets.

Hell, lots of people this off season are calling Dunta a pro bowl caliber shutdown corner.
Old 07-19-2010   #18
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

The writer of this article Jason Cole is a sportswriter, not a scout. Lets not get our medical advice from a school nurse.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm interested to see what our secondary looked like after Pollard took over.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #20
Tonaaayyyy
Rookie

Rep Power: 130 Tonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respectedTonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respectedTonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respectedTonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respectedTonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respectedTonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respectedTonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respectedTonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respectedTonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respectedTonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respectedTonaaayyyy is a quality contributor and well respected

Well the secondary definitely didn't prove anything last year, only bright side I saw was from Quin. Secondary will be better this year of course.
Tonaaayyyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read