Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 07-16-2010   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool 2 a days

There was a story this morning that GA is dropping some of their two a days.

Cry me a river - I hate when college players whine about 4 to 6 weeks of two a days. Swimmers have two a days year round EXCEPT for the 4-6 weeks that you tapir during the year.

/rant
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #2
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2 a days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
There was a story this morning that GA is dropping some of their two a days.

Cry me a river - I hate when college players whine about 4 to 6 weeks of two a days. Swimmers have two a days year round EXCEPT for the 4-6 weeks that you tapir during the year.

/rant
Yeah, but how hard is it to lounge around a pool all day?
Old 07-16-2010   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118834 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Yeah, but how hard is it to lounge around a pool all day?
Never been on a swim team huh?
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #4
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Never been on a swim team huh?
No
Old 07-16-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118834 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No
Couple of laps doing the butterfly will make you wish you were in the desert somewhere
Brain Cushing
Old 07-16-2010   #6
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Couple of laps doing the butterfly will make you wish you were in the desert somewhere
I can imagine, I can't take the trash out without getting winded. I was just pokin some fun.
Old 07-16-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
I can imagine, I can't take the trash out without getting winded. I was just pokin some fun.
Yeah, I know. But I had to stick up for the swimmers as it is one of the few things I used to be able to do well.
Brain Cushing
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2010   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: 2 a days

Quote:
Yeah, I know. But I had to stick up for the swimmers as it is one of the few things I used to be able to do well.
Yeah, thanks to my many years of swimming, I pretty much through like a girl because swiming was 24/7.

One of y'all will have to teach my boy(s) if we have any.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 07-16-2010   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah, thanks to my many years of swimming, I pretty much through like a girl because swiming was 24/7.

Not a problem. That was one of the other things I did well. My shoulder is so bad I can't throw anymore, but I can teach the basics and play catch using my left arm.
Brain Cushing
Old 07-16-2010   #10
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Not a problem. That was one of the other things I did well. My shoulder is so bad I can't throw anymore, but I can teach the basics and play catch using my left arm.
I have the left shoulder and left elbow of a left handed pitcher. And I have never played baseball in my life.

Had my shoulder rebuilt in 2006.

Swimming is not as injury free as they lead folks to believem (and my h/s and club coach massively over trained me which lead to my body breaking down in college swimming).

Ever known anyone that can hold an 8-10 week tapir? I could, and to me that's concrete evidence I was over trained (my regular season times were always embarassingly slow).
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 07-16-2010   #11
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have the left shoulder and left elbow of a left handed pitcher. And I have never played baseball in my life.

Had my shoulder rebuilt in 2006.

Swimming is not as injury free as they lead folks to believem (and my h/s and club coach massively over trained me which lead to my body breaking down in college swimming).

Ever known anyone that can hold an 8-10 week tapir? I could, and to me that's concrete evidence I was over trained (my regular season times were always embarassingly slow).
I don't even know what that is Yankee........
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post

They get up to 800 lbs
Brain Cushing
Old 07-16-2010   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
I don't either

What I do know is that football 2-a-days suck!! I had an old school HS coach and he wore us straight out during 2 a days. I thought SFA's would be a bit better than HS.....oh my, was I wrong. Not only was it tougher, it was hotter. The field was astroturf and field temps would easily get up to 110-120 range.
Old 07-16-2010   #14
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:

They get up to 800 lbs
LMAO, must spread rep - REALLY tired. I meant taper Hobie.

Quote:
The following is a working definition of what we will be covering; a taper is "the reduction of workload during a period immediately prior to a major competition."
http://www.swimmingcoach.org/articles/9808/9808-3.htm

So in the last few weeks leading up the the end of the hs season (and again at the end of the summer), whereas you were doing (wow, it's been so long, guessing at #'s) 5,000-7,500 yards a practice (twice a day), you drastically start reducing yards, intensity and drop two a days.

Your competition times peak, and most swimmers could maintain high levels of competition with this recovery/reduced training for about 4 weeks. I could hold it for over 8 weeks and continue to improve each week. That told me I was vastly overtrained. Not to mention my regular season times were always embarassingly slow.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 07-16-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
LMAO, must spread rep - REALLY tired. I meant taper Hobie.

http://www.swimmingcoach.org/articles/9808/9808-3.htm
I thought maybe your coach was making you swim with a baby tapir...
Brain Cushing
Old 07-16-2010   #16
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
I thought maybe your coach was making you swim with a baby tapir...
Are they good swimmers?
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 07-16-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Are they good swimmers?
Though they appear densely built, tapirs are at home in the water and often submerge to cool off. They are excellent swimmers and can even dive to feed on aquatic plants. They also wallow in mud, perhaps to remove pesky ticks from their thick hides.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...als/tapir.html
Brain Cushing
Old 07-16-2010   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think Hunter Pence has an instructional video coming out .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #19
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to give swimmers some serious props because they train hard and although they make it look easy, I promise you its not. I have personally trained with some friends that are divers and swimmers and they easily "out-condition" me any day.

Last edited by Texan4Ever; 07-20-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read