Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 09-17-2010   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draftsite.com has a 2011 7 rounder

Why are we trying to move all our corners to FS?

Before we move any of these CB's I'd rather see what Troy Nolan can do...

He has actually played the position at a high level and has shown flashes of being really good...

Honest question, but why would you move any of those guys over instead of seeing what Nolan can do and/or just drafting a FS?

I do not see Quinn moving to free saftey because of what Smith said about what their thinking was when drafting him. He said that they like corners who are physical and tackle well. They said they thought Quinn was very tough and while a lot of teams projected him to the FS position they said they though he could play corner for them.

If you think about it, under this regime, it seems like the Texans like their starting corners to be physical, good in run support and tackle well.

McCain is a good cover corner, but I think they'd prefer to bring him in in "cover" situations and not have him out there in the regular sets.

That makes sense to me, because if you are having your d-linemen play a penetrating up the field type defense it is imperative that you have people on the back end that can get to the ball carrier and bring them down.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Why are we trying to move all our corners to FS?

Before we move any of these CB's I'd rather see what Troy Nolan can do...

He has actually played the position at a high level and has shown flashes of being really good...

Honest question, but why would you move any of those guys over instead of seeing what Nolan can do and/or just drafting a FS?

I do not see Quinn moving to free saftey because of what Smith said about what their thinking was when drafting him. He said that they like corners who are physical and tackle well. They said they thought Quinn was very tough and while a lot of teams projected him to the FS position they said they though he could play corner for them.

If you think about it, under this regime, it seems like the Texans like their starting corners to be physical, good in run support and tackle well.

McCain is a good cover corner, but I think they'd prefer to bring him in in "cover" situations and not have him out there in the regular sets.

That makes sense to me, because if you are having your d-linemen play a penetrating up the field type defense it is imperative that you have people on the back end that can get to the ball carrier and bring them down.
Not speaking for BL but I know I was not too high on Nolan but he has looked good so far. We have sort of pushed for Quin for FS becuse he was rated 7th best FS year he came out. Many don't like to see positional changes but Wilson has made it work for him. As for Quin at nickle, he does play there but unlike BL, I prefer him on the side as he brings 3 more inches of height. McCain is doing pretty well so I am comfortable where ever they play. I too am hopeful Moldin can stay healthy and have a great season. This is from a 2008 article 40 speed at 4.39 :At 6 feet and 198 pounds, Molden ran the 40-yard dash in 4.39 seconds. Molden ranked first among cornerbacks in the 225-pound bench press (23 repetitions) and third in the vertical jump (37.5 inches). He arrived at the Texans' first post-draft minicamp Friday
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5769146.html
Old 10-10-2010   #23
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Another new mock by draftsite.com 10/10/10

20 Julio Jones* WR Alabama 6' 4" 210
52 Jeron Johnson S Boise State 5' 11" 194
84 Deunta Williams S UNC 6' 2" 205
116 Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh 6' 6" 270
148 Mario Harvey ILB Marshall 6' 0" 245
180 Jonathan Nelson CB Oklahoma 5' 11" 180
211 Dan Dierking FB Purdue 5' 10" 186

Not a bad draft, and if Jones walks a very viable start to a draft.

I know this board loves Pollard but he is a liability in coverage, and they will need to upgrade him or his backup at the very least.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #24
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Another new mock by draftsite.com 10/10/10

20 Julio Jones* WR Alabama 6' 4" 210
52 Jeron Johnson S Boise State 5' 11" 194
84 Deunta Williams S UNC 6' 2" 205
116 Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh 6' 6" 270
148 Mario Harvey ILB Marshall 6' 0" 245
180 Jonathan Nelson CB Oklahoma 5' 11" 180
211 Dan Dierking FB Purdue 5' 10" 186

Not a bad draft, and if Jones walks a very viable start to a draft.

I know this board loves Pollard but he is a liability in coverage, and they will need to upgrade him or his backup at the very least.
No way the Texans draft a WR in the first, unless it is a top 10 talent that slips. I dont have Jones ranked that highly yet. Deunta Williams is a late first rounder. Dont look at websites, he has fallen due to his suspension. But he is the best senior FS in my opinion, and battling with Moore (UCLA) for the top FS in the draft.

Other than that, meh. I like Johnson, but wonder if 2nd round is too high. I have not watched Boise enough to make a definite statement yet. Yes please to Romeus in the 4th, he was being talked about as a 1st/2nd in the last draft, his stock has really fallen. Harvey is a decent pick, good player with a nose for the football, but LB is not really a need. I would prefer an OL, but eh. I would pass on Nelson and Dierking, grab some other guys.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #25
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't we get some compensatory pick for DR? I am thinking 3rd rounder? How about a 7th round compensatory for Pitts?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #26
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Don't we get some compensatory pick for DR? I am thinking 3rd rounder? How about a 7th round compensatory for Pitts?
I dont know the formula for comp. picks, but if I remember correctly, we would get around a 3rd for Dunta, but because we signed Rackers it drops to a 6th or 7th. Could be wrong though.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I evidently deleted my link explaining compensatory picks. The formula is based on how many good players you sign versus how many you lose based on round selected. As it stands I don't think we get much for DR as we also signed Wade Smith OL in addition to Rackers and both are starters.
Old 10-12-2010   #28
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Draftsite.com October 12, 2010

20 DeAndre McDaniel S Clemson 6' 1" 190
52 Kristofer O'Dowd OC USC 6' 5" 300
84 Titus Young WR Boise State 5' 11" 170
116 Johnny Patrick CB Louisville 5' 11" 190
148 Brandon Bair DT Oregon 6' 7" 266
180 Josh Bynes ILB Auburn 6' 2" 239
211 D.J. Young OT Michigan State 6' 5" 310

Interesting mock.

My cherry pick

20 Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State 6' 6" 305
52 Kristofer O'Dowd OC USC 6' 5" 300
84 Charles Brown CB UNC 5' 10" 205
116 Jermale Hines S Ohio State 6' 2" 210
148 Derrick Locke RB Kentucky 5' 9" 190
180 Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin 6' 3" 205
211 Kai Forbath, Kicker UCLA 6-0, 200

Sherrod is a solid OLT, Time to go with a bigger OL, LT Sherrod, LG Caldwell, OC ODowd, RG Winston, RT Brown.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read