Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-14-2010   #1
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Revelation 12:17 'Thou Shalt Not Write Off a 2010 NFL Rookie WR'

I want to share a revelation revealed to me regarding a trend occurring in the NFL as we speak.

After completing my 2010 top ten NFL wide receiver tandem's list, it dawned on me that I had three rookies listed on it.

After getting a lot of flack from fans for the rookies being on the list, I decided to do some research on the matter, and that is when my intuition came to fruition.

Two awesome rookie wide receivers made a huge splash last season: Vikings wideout Percy Harvin and Steelers receiver Mike Wallace (No. 12 & 17).

The NFL draft has produced at least three rookie wide receiver sensations for the past three seasons. Last season, however, that number more than doubled. Add to that, one of the rookie wide receivers, Harvin, also happened to be the Offensive Rookie of the Year.

My point is simple: two times is a coincidence, three times is a trend. This is especially the case when the third time you find the trend going from three rookie receivers a year to seven rookie receivers stepping up their game and earn a spot in the top half of the league's best tandems.

Here are the three rookie wide receivers of 2007 NFL Draft:

Steve Smith: 11.5 yards per reception, 1,002 reception yards, seven touchdowns

Dwayne Bowe: 14.2 yards per reception, 995 reception yards, five touchdowns

Anthony Gonzalez: 15.6 yards per reception, 576 reception yards, three touchdowns

Here are the three rookie wide receiver of 2008 NFL Draft:

Eddie Royal: 10.8 yards per reception, 980 reception yards, five touchdowns

DeSean Jackson: 14.7 yards per reception, 912 reception yards, two touchdowns

Donnie Avery: 12.5 yards per reception, 589 reception yards, five touchdowns

Royal was actually sixth in receptions, and then when you calculate all his special teams returns and rushing yards into the equation, things get really stupid in regards to any attempt to write off a wide receiver simply because he is a rookie. Desean Jackson also killed it with his special teams returns.

Now here are the 2009 seven Rookie receivers who jumped into the top 64 last season, making them eligible bachelors for tandems, considering there are 32 teams in the league.

Mike Wallace: 19.4 yards per reception, 756 reception yards, six TDs

Percy Harvin: 13.2 yards per reception, 790 reception yards, six TD's

Jeremy Maclin: 13.8 yards per reception, 773 reception yards, four TD's

Hakeem Nicks: 16.8 yards per reception, 790 reception yards, six TD's

Kenny Britt: 16.7 yards per reception, 701 reception yards, three TD's

Johnny Knox: 11.7 yards per reception, 527 reception yards, five TD's

Mohamed Massaquoi: 18.4 yards per reception, 624 reception yards, three TD's

This, of course, brings us to the 2010 NFL Draft. My question is, which of these receivers will jump into the league's best WR tandems from the rookie class this season?

Patrick Crayton set the bar last season for the weakest link stats-wise, as far as the 2010 top 10 NFL WR tandems last season.

Patrick Crayton: 16.8 yard average, 622 receiving yards, five touchdowns

How many of these wide receivers from this rookie draft class will break Crayton's mark and emerge as part of the top 10 tandems in 2010?

Be sure to check out the highlight reels linked to each of the 2010 WR Rookies' names in the link!

Riley Cooper video one of the 26 videos of the rookies linked in the article

Tim Tebow threw a 60 yard bomb and a 50 yard bomb in the first minute of the 8 minute Riley Cooper highlight video. These videos are really cool
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #2
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Revelation 12:17 'Thou Shalt Not Write Off a 2010 NFL Rookie WR'

Probably Dez Bryant and that guy that went ot Denver in the 1st round.
Old 07-15-2010   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch View Post

Donnie Avery: 12.5 yards per reception, 589 reception yards, five touchdowns

Whose house?? Coogs house!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2010   #4
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely some good points in this write up. I would also add that if Crabtree didn't hold out that would add another rookie to your 2010 list. He would have ended up around 75 catches and ~1,000 yards based on his production.
Old 07-21-2010   #5
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

As you can see, Jagsbch is just a ture Gator homer....Percy Harvin/Cooper/Tebow...I love the Gators, but I'd never run over to the Broncos because they picked Timmy.
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #6
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Definitely some good points in this write up. I would also add that if Crabtree didn't hold out that would add another rookie to your 2010 list. He would have ended up around 75 catches and ~1,000 yards based on his production.
Excellent point...
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch View Post

How many of these wide receivers from this rookie draft class will break Crayton's mark and emerge as part of the top 10 tandems in 2010?
Dez Bryant
Bay-Bay Thomas
Sleeper - Jordan Shipley (If TO doesn't sign in Cincy)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read