Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2005   #261
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316
Freeney got past Ogden twice last yr during that sunday night game with BAL and IND.
Oh man - does that mean Ogden can't play either? What's this league coming to if a GREAT defensive end can beat almost all tackles 1 on 1?
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #262
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsfan1
St. Louis local news is reporting that the Texans and OP have an agreement in principle. None of the Rams top brass have been contacted by the Texans as of 7:24PM CST. There has been no formal offer sheet. This being because the Texans don't want to give up two picks and would like to negotiate a trade. Top officials at Rams Park are saying that they will not come off of the two first picks. Looks like a Stalemate.
well, it looks as if Pace couldn't care less about STL anymore. He'll play there another season and bolt if nothing happens
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #263
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
well, it looks as if Pace couldn't care less about STL anymore. He'll play there another season and bolt if nothing happens
I've been wondering about this. Could he not be slapped with the tag again next season or is there some limit to how many times a player can be f-tagged?
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #264
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX
I've been wondering about this. Could he not be slapped with the tag again next season or is there some limit to how many times a player can be f-tagged?
No!!!

A team could only use the tag for 3 years in a row on one player and if they do they lose the right to franchise a player for the following year. Thats why STL wants him traded or a long term deal.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #265
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He will be slapped with the tag until the Rams get tired.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #266
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There would be a 20% increase to the price they would have to pay.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #267
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

"St. Louis local news is reporting that the Texans and OP have an agreement in principle. None of the Rams top brass have been contacted by the Texans as of 7:24PM CST. There has been no formal offer sheet. This being because the Texans don't want to give up two picks and would like to negotiate a trade. Top officials at Rams Park are saying that they will not come off of the two first picks. Looks like a Stalemate."

I'm sure that the "top brass" will change their minds if the Texans offer them more than one pick this year. I wouldn't be surprise if its like our 1st and one of our 3rds and a 3rd or 4th next year.
Old 03-14-2005   #268
ramsfan1
Rookie

You could be correct about the change of mind. Pace is not a team player and a large contract will hurt the Texans and any other team that caves in to his demands. He has been offered two contracts by the Rams. the last one being very comparable to the Walter Jones deal. If any team can afford to pay OP substantially more the Jones is getting, it is going to be a BIG cap hit for years to come. I don't know how much cap room you guys have, but I don't think Pace is worth mortaging the future of the franchise for a dozen years. My opinion only.

Jay Zigmunt, of the Rams has adamantly said that the Rams will take no less than two first picks.
ramsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #269
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Oh man - does that mean Ogden can't play either? What's this league coming to if a GREAT defensive end can beat almost all tackles 1 on 1?

I wasn't making it sound like Odgen can't play...I'm just making a statement...its not like Odgen now sucks. Freeney is Freeney...he's gonna do that to almost anyone.
Old 03-14-2005   #270
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Just surfing the net and ran across this. CFN rated the top 100 players of all time and they have Pace at number 29.

Quote:
The Pancake: Pace was so dominating with his blocks that a term was created for the way he knocked a defensive player on his back - the Pancake Block. In his junior season, Pace was credited with 80 Pancakes. As good as he was blocking for the running game, he was equally adept at pass blocking not allowing a sack in his last two years at Ohio State. One of his greatest games was his humiliation of Illinois' Simeon Rice completely shutting down the Illini star and registering ten Pancakes that day.
http://www.collegefootballnews.com/T...lando_Pace.htm

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #271
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You could be correct about the change of mind. Pace is not a team player and a large contract will hurt the Texans and any other team that caves in to his demands. He has been offered two contracts by the Rams. the last one being very comparable to the Walter Jones deal. If any team can afford to pay OP substantially more the Jones is getting, it is going to be a BIG cap hit for years to come. I don't know how much cap room you guys have, but I don't think Pace is worth mortaging the future of the franchise for a dozen years. My opinion only.

Jay Zigmunt, of the Rams has adamantly said that the Rams will take no less than two first picks.
One thing that Charlie Casserly prides himself in, is that he knows the ins and outs of the salary cap and would NEVER put this team in a postion that would restrict the Texans in the future.

Casserly is one of the guys that helped make the salary cap.
Old 03-14-2005   #272
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Just surfing the net and ran across this. CFN rated the top 100 players of all time and they have Pace at number 29.

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/T...lando_Pace.htm

That's gotta be based on their college careers because Ron Dayne is ranked 12th on the list. Pace is their #1 college OT of all time.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #273
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginessey
Well I can only think of two reasons why I would give whatever I needed to get Pace.

1. Dwight
2. Freeney
We may have to add a #3, albeit a distant 3, to that list if Reggie Hayward pans out for Jacksonville.
-Mario #90
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #274
ramsfan1
Rookie

How much cap room do the Texans have?
Old 03-14-2005   #275
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:

Yeah, they may have offered him big contracts, but maybe he just doesn't want to be tehre at all. the dome isn't exactly an ideal place
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #276
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
That's gotta be based on their college careers because Ron Dayne is ranked 12th on the list. Pace is their #1 college OT of all time.
Yeah, its collegefootball.com I didn't realize Pace was the one who inspired the pancake block term.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #277
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
How much cap room do the Texans have?
According to John Clayton as of March 4th - $8.9 million dollars. But that does not include the $890,000 they saved today with the 2 cuts and then Jamie Sharper will either be cut or traded and his number right now is $6.1 million dollars and the Texans would save money there after they trade or cut him.
Old 03-14-2005   #278
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114
No!!!

A team could only use the tag for 3 years in a row on one player and if they do they lose the right to franchise a player for the following year. Thats why STL wants him traded or a long term deal.
Quote:
He will be slapped with the tag until the Rams get tired.
???? So which is it?

If there is a limit to the number of times a guy can be tagged, then the price for Pace should be much, much lower than 2 firsts. Afterall, Pace will walk in a season for nothing anyway. So the Rams should just take a first and third and be happy.

If there is no limit, then the Texans are crazy to cough up two firsts. I know there is concern that, after 3 seasons of beatings, Carr may be getting a little gunshy. I realize that any move for Pace should be seen as protecting the team's #1 asset in Carr. But I'd rather find another way to protect Carr instead of coughing up both capspace and future picks for the Pancake.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #279
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

There is a limit on how many times a player can get tagged.

The Texans won't have to pay the 2 first round picks because OP didn't sign the franchise tag sheet yet. The Rams will come off the two 1st rounders
Old 03-14-2005   #280
ramsfan1
Rookie

I hope you are right, because we would like to get rid of the cancer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read