Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2005   #181
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
I think Pace turns 30 in November.

So, we shuld get a good 6 years out of him.

lol, we'd be lucky to get 3...maybe 4.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #182
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected

If this deal does go down, I'm guessing we will be seeing a former Texan play against us in Reliant next year when the Rams visit Houston.
Old 03-14-2005   #183
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

once again, i don't think sharper will be part of any deal. the rams have already signed 2 LB's this offseason. i believe thier goal would be to get an LT and picks.
Old 03-14-2005   #184
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
the consensus here is Wand, Sharper and a 3rd rounder. so we could probaly meet half way i wouldn't be too upset.

I think Pace will come cheaper than alot expect, although expensive he wont be looking at the huge signing bonus back when he had his previous agents (the Poston brothers) now he has an Agent that is more available to make a deal. Also he made those huge contract demands back when he was 27 and 28 years old he is 30 now and his contract will reflect that.
Now I can live with that. I'm jus not down for giving up two people AND our #1. We need our #1. Remember, offense scores points but defense gets you to the bowl.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #185
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I'd send them Sharper, Wand and our first pick....but that may not be enough. Give Foreman a broom and perhaps he could clean up their locker rooms too. He has some sort of value.
It would depend... what the avg age for an O-Lineman? Do they play for a long time...my initial guess would be yeh, but just checking.
Old 03-14-2005   #186
Talon_stl
Rookie

Last Year 25 million signing bonus
Two Years Ago I think it was like 7 year 145 million contract

Your managment can get off the money and pay this.

Like I said enjoy Pace I don't care take him.
Talon_stl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #187
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

i think the outrageous demands were more poston that pace.
Old 03-14-2005   #188
TEXANS84

610 is saying that this year's #13, Sharper, and next year's 2nd would be fair.
Old 03-14-2005   #189
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I have gathered, we can work out a deal that is right about the same as Walter Jones got in Seattle. The only real sticking point in all this is how we compensate the Rams. I think we will know by tomorrow.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #190
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
No way I do this if I was the Rams. That's not a fair deal in my book.

Old 03-14-2005   #191
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
I know that our O-Line could really use some help, but i dont like the idea of giving away our 13th pick unless we were to pick one up from someone else.
Old 03-14-2005   #192
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
I'd rather give up one of our 3rd's this year. A 2nd next year is worth a 3rd this year. Next year's draft is deeper.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #193
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I read that wrong 84. I didn't see the 13th pick. That would be much more even.

Old 03-14-2005   #194
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX
Then again, Pace makes Carr, Johnson, Gaffney, Davis and Hollings better. On top of that, if he improves our run game, he helps the D big time.
We still can't forget, one person doesn't make a line. Grant it, he's helps tremendously on the left side, but we still have a half-wit making the line calls. By Half-wit I mean Steve McWhinney *cough* sorry, McKinney. If we go after Pace, are we gonna have enough in cap room to get the other pieces to this puzzle?
Old 03-14-2005   #195
TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I read that wrong 84. I didn't see the 13th pick. That would be much more even.
LOL, I was gonna say...you would be one tough GM then.
Old 03-14-2005   #196
Talon_stl
Rookie

I just heard on my local news that our Front Office said we are not interested in a trade and if the Texans want him it will take 2 first round picks but thats probably just a ploy to get more than he's worth.
Talon_stl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #197
Dionysus22
Veteran

I still say NO WAY to giving them our #1. They wouldn't take Sharper. They might take Wand and some picks but I would definately not give them our #1.
Old 03-14-2005   #198
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22
I still say NO WAY to giving them our #1. They wouldn't take Sharper. They might take Wand and some picks but I would definately not give them our #1.
Shoot it will take our #1 AND more to get him. It is unreasonable to think anything else.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #199
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon_stl
I just heard on my local news that our Front Office said we are not interested in a trade and if the Texans want him it will take 2 first round picks but thats probably just a ploy to get more than he's worth.
It may be worth two 1's if that was all I had to give up as the Texans GM. This year will not have any elite linemen and if we secure Pace we are probably playoff contenders and will likely have a pick in the 20's next season. Securing one of the top 2 players in the NFL at LT is likely worth it to me.

Old 03-14-2005   #200
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I am against acquiring Pace.

My concern is that he is finally going to get his big payday and then take it easy. All these years he's been franchised he has only received his salary and not one of the big signing bonuses that is the only guaranteed part of a long term contract. Once he gets that big bonus, and he has been demanding $15-20 million as a signing bonus, he can put that in the bank and just sit on his ample (that means really big) behind and keep collecting paychecks because he would be too much of a cap hit for the Texans to cut.

Or maybe he gets injured like Boselli did. He is at the same age Boselli was when he got injured, and he has nowhere near the work ethic or integrity that Boselli did in trying to come back. If Pace gets injured the Texans will be screwed much more than they ever were with Boselli because Pace will be a bigger cap hit, the Texans have less cap space now, and now is when the Texans are trying to make a playoff move so therefore dead cap space is more meaningful. There are still quite a few "fans" who get upset at the mention of Boselli's name. There is a much bigger potential downside in acquiring Orlando Pace.

Is Pace going to work hard?
Is he going to be a cancer?

If Pace decides to rededicate himself and stays healthy, the Texans will be getting a Pro Bowl caliber player and a big piece of the playoff puzzle.

However, if Pace does like a lot of players do and coasts after finally getting his big payday or gets injured, this deal can end up being a huge disaster for the Texans.

Bigger than his ego or his posterior.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read