Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-18-2010   #101
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

13. Houston Texans: Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida
The Texans have one of the worst defenses we've seen in a long time. So, how do you fix it?

First of all, Zach Diles needs to go. He's a horrific weakside linebacker who's a major liability in coverage. An upgrade at nose tackle is desperately needed. Two new safeties (particularly a free safety) have to be found. Another pass-rusher wouldn't hurt.

And then there's the cornerback position. Glover Quin cannot be allowed to start anymore. I don't even have any beef with his awful attempt to bat down David Garrard's Hail Mary; he can't tackle whatsoever, as evidenced by Zach Miller's 51-yard touchdown in the Jacksonville game.

Janoris Jenkins, the best player available who fills a need, would give Houston another top-flight corner across from Kareem Jackson. Hopefully Jackson isn't inept next year...

Pick change; previously Julio Jones, WR

44. Houston Texans: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
Adding more talent to the defensive line is never a bad idea. The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Drake Nevis is having a great year. I wanted to slot him toward the end of Round 1, but there are just way too many 3-4 teams now.

75. # Houston Texans: Sam Acho, DE, Texas
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.

Pick change; previously Pernell McPhee, DE
Old 11-18-2010   #102
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
The Texans have one of the worst defenses we've seen in a long time. So, how do you fix it?

First of all, Zach Diles needs to go. He's a horrific weakside linebacker who's a major liability in coverage. An upgrade at nose tackle is desperately needed. Two new safeties (particularly a free safety) have to be found. Another pass-rusher wouldn't hurt.

And then there's the cornerback position. Glover Quin cannot be allowed to start anymore. I don't even have any beef with his awful attempt to bat down David Garrard's Hail Mary; he can't tackle whatsoever, as evidenced by Zach Miller's 51-yard touchdown in the Jacksonville game.

Janoris Jenkins, the best player available who fills a need, would give Houston another top-flight corner across from Kareem Jackson. Hopefully Jackson isn't inept next year...

Adding more talent to the defensive line is never a bad idea. The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Drake Nevis is having a great year. I wanted to slot him toward the end of Round 1, but there are just way too many 3-4 teams now.

The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.

I like this mock better than the last in first but I have fallen away from Acho a bit. I like Winterswyck DE Boise in 5th. I do need to replace 4th round as my FS is injured. Can't make up my mind if I'd go DT or Cb in first and opposite in second. Probably will depend on who will be available. Auburn against Alabama should be interesting.
Old 11-18-2010   #103
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I like this mock better than the last in first but I have fallen away from Acho a bit. I like Winterswyck DE Boise in 5th. I do need to replace 4th round as my FS is injured. Can't make up my mind if I'd go DT or Cb in first and opposite in second. Probably will depend on who will be available. Auburn against Alabama should be interesting.
Old 11-18-2010   #104
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I like this draft much better than the last one but I worry about Nevis's lack of size and don't want Acho at all.

I love the comments from this guy, even outsiders realize that after 5 yrs. in the Kubiak system we're still starting terrible players.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010   #105
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like this draft much better than the last one but I worry about Nevis's lack of size and don't want Acho at all.

I love the comments from this guy, even outsiders realize that after 5 yrs. in the Kubiak system we're still starting terrible players.
Do you think we will go after a QB in draft to back up Schaub? I think Leinert will go to a better offer as a FA and if we re-sign Orslovsky, I just might scream.
Old 11-18-2010   #106
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

We might pick up a QB in the draft but if we do it'll probably be very late, ie: 6th or 7th round. Someone to stick on the practice squad as emergency insurance. Andy Dalton-QB from TCU maybe.
Old 11-18-2010   #107
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Never say never especially if Schaub goes down & the Texans lose out rest of the way

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2010   #108
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Happy Thanksgiving - 11/25

Quote:
Houston Texans: Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida

Quote:
Houston Texans: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

Quote:
Houston Texans: Sam Acho, DE, Texas

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-29-2010   #109
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Happy Thanksgiving - 11/25

That's odd as their own CB ratings has Jennings listed @ #8 behind Curtis Brown, Brandon Burton, Aaron Williams, Ras i Dowling and Brandon Harris #3. I am looking at Harris #1, Nevis #2 and move either QUin or KJ to FS.
Old 11-30-2010   #110
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

I will give it a try.

1) Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State: provide more pass rush

2)Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma : another pass rusher for situational DE

3) Alex Linnenkohl, C, Oregon State: help with the Oline

So, what do yall think?
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #111
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 View Post
I will give it a try.

So, what do yall think?
Where do you think we will be drafting?
Old 11-30-2010   #112
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Where do you think we will be drafting?
I figure we finish with about 7-8 wins, so around 15 or so
Old 11-30-2010   #113
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I figure we finish with about 7-8 wins, so around 15 or so
Fair enough. I am hoping that if we are drafting around 15, that Fairly falls to us.
Old 11-30-2010   #114
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fair enough. I am hoping that if we are drafting around 15, that Fairly falls to us.
I doubt Fairley will fall to 15.

But there should be a really good DE/LB/S
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #115
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I doubt Fairley will fall to 15.

But there should be a really good DE/LB/S
I doubt so also.

Maybe this is the year we make a move!?
Old 12-01-2010   #116
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
I was thinking he would be a top 10 pick when all is said and done.
Old 12-01-2010   #117
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I will give it a try.

So, what do yall think?
Texans seem locked in a "comfort range" #15-#20. I like Paea & DT is always a huge need. Shaun Cody is going to be a free agent in 2011 do you resign him or draft somebody in the 1st/2nd rd. to replace him?

Texans would be lucky to get Beal in 2nd. He directly measures up with injured Connor Barwin. Both could also fit in a 3-4 as OLB's.

Linnenkohl is a bit of a reach this early. Your right, Texans need to look @ Center position for the future so I would have no problem selecting him in the 6th (last year took a shot with OG Shelly Smith who does have a future with this team). The big question I think the Texans face is will they resign Rashad Butler? He played well during Duane Browns suspension, think he made himself some money, will it be too much for Texans & if so I would look for them to find replacement in 3rd rd. I've been kinda locked on Villanova senior LT/OG Ben Ijalana who can also swing inside giving him more versatiltiy.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-01-2010   #118
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans seem locked in a "comfort range" #15-#20. I like Paea & DT is always a huge need. Shaun Cody is going to be a free agent in 2011 do you resign him or draft somebody in the 1st/2nd rd. to replace him?

Texans would be lucky to get Beal in 2nd. He directly measures up with injured Connor Barwin. Both could also fit in a 3-4 as OLB's.

Linnenkohl is a bit of a reach this early. Your right, Texans need to look @ Center position for the future so I would have no problem selecting him in the 6th (last year took a shot with OG Shelly Smith who does have a future with this team). The big question I think the Texans face is will they resign Rashad Butler? He played well during Duane Browns suspension, think he made himself some money, will it be too much for Texans & if so I would look for them to find replacement in 3rd rd. I've been kinda locked on Villanova senior LT/OG Ben Ijalana who can also swing inside giving him more versatiltiy.
I like this mock a little.

But improving the S position is a must. IMHO

There should be a good one available in rds 3/4. Carter or Barron should be available in rd 3 and Hill/Black should be available in rd 4. They would be great value picks at this spot in the draft. As well as filling a glaring need. IMHO

Getting a pass rusher a is also a must and should be addressd in rds 1/2. IMHO Beal is a good player. But If I were picking Kerrigan or Herzlich would be my choice for playmaking OLB/DE in a 3/4 defense.

There are going to be some good NT'available in rds 4/5 this yr. Taylor from Baylor and my sleeper NT pick Dexter Larimore are real solid players. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #119
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Latest update from Walter. They've got us drafting #11 and are taking the following players.

1. Stephen Paea-DT Oregon St.
2. Bruce Carter-OLB UNC
3. Sam Acho-DE UTexas

I really like the first 2 picks both are excellent and would fill huge holes on defense but I dislike the 3rd pick. I don't see Acho ever being anything more than a backup/rotational DE and we've got plenty of bench warmers.
Old 12-23-2010   #120
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

10 Houston Texans: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

Stephen Paea is the best player on the board who would help improve Houston's defense. Paea is a 310-pound tackle who has 11 TFL and seven sacks on the year.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Marcell Dareus, DT - I imagine that the Texans will be targeting Marcell Dareus. Unfortunately, he went off the board one selection earlier.

2. Ryan Kerrigan, DE - The Texans have no pass rush outside of Mario Williams. They may consider Ryan Kerrigan to be the best player available.

41. Houston Texans: Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
The Texans desperately need to address both safety positions this offseason. Free safety is more dire, as Eugene Wilson and Troy Nolan have both failed there.

72. Houston Texans: Sam Acho, DE, Texas

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read